Find A Grave for Italy?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jvitiello88

Find A Grave for Italy?

Post by jvitiello88 »

Is there a "Findagrave" type site for Italy? I'd like pictures of graves, but I'm not having any luck with Google searches.

Thanks!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Find A Grave for Italy?

Post by liviomoreno »

To my knowledge there's not such a site...
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

You might want to read my blog piece on cemeteries.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
DCPandaFan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DCPandaFan »

Here is some information on Italian cemeteries:
1. In the Napoleonic Era (early 1800s), each Italian town had to relocate its cemetery to outside the populated area, for health reasons. Sometimes you can spot the cemetery confines on Google maps.
2. A lot of towns re-used the cemetery land every 50 years or so by digging up old graves and moving any bones to a boneyard (l'ossario). For this reason, don't be upset if you cannot locate any ancestor's gravesite. Some (mainly wealthy) families purchased a cemetery chapel (cappella) for burial or removal of bones. This would have at least the surname on it.
When will Italy get Giant Pandas?
Granddaughter

Post by Granddaughter »

How can I find out if my grandfather died in Sicily? It would have been sometime after 1945. He was born in 1883.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Granddaughter wrote: 04 May 2021, 20:28 How can I find out if my grandfather died in Sicily? It would have been sometime after 1945. He was born in 1883.
There are only a few records of gravesites online, mostly in the Northern regions. If you know the town he lived in, it's probably best to either write them or have a genealogist in the area look for you...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

Finding old graves in Italy is often difficult to impossible due to lack of space. They are recycled and all evidence including the marker is removed for the next person. This pretty much applies to Europe in general now as space is a premium.

Term leases are common, in Italy it's like 10 to 30 years, bones are then dug up and packed into a small bone box. Last time I was in Italy, I did see some older graves but the graves looked like people who were of a certain level of importance, in the smaller Comunes, the cemeteries do not tend to grow beyond the boundaries of the original footprint.

The only record of death is what is documented in the Atto di Morte for many, unlike here I have seen the graves of some relatives back to the 1700's, markers still standing and legible at that.