Seeking Chiavone/Salerno/Picone Info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Seeking Chiavone/Salerno/Picone Info

Post by gallohjc »

Still working on my Chiavone/Salerno family of Gangi, Palermo, Sicily, and unable to locate several deaths and a birth.

. Cataldo Picone (dates unknown) married to Giovanna Macciaro (1819 - 23 September 1867).

. Vincenzo Salerno (1841) son of Antonio Salerno and Maria Santa Martino. He was married to Gaetana Picone (daughter of Cataldo Picone and Giovanna Macciaro). Maria Santa's dates are 1841 to 15 June 1909. Haven't been able to find Vincenzo's death info.

. My main object is the birth of Maria Chiavone, my husband's Grandmother, daughter of Liborio Chiavone and Maria Santa Salerno. Her birthday in U.S. was celebrated 18 August. She died 24 December 1981 in Philadelphia, PA. Supposedly born in 1895. I've found birth info for her siblings but not for Maria.

I have submitted this request before but thought I'd try once more as my final effort.

Thanks for any assistance.

Helen Gallo
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Seeking Chiavone/Salerno/Picone Info

Post by Italysearcher »

I assume you have searched the on line images of births. If Maria Chiavone was the youngest child perhaps she was born on the way to America, on the ship, or in Napoli. Also consider that she may have been registered with a different first name than the one she used in America. Her birth may have been registered late in which case you will find the record in a different year. She may also have been missed from the index.
As for death records, write to the town, Vincenzo Salerno may have died after 1910.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gallohjc »

Italysearcher, thank you for your response. However, Maria was their 2nd child. I have checked birth indexes from 1891 to 1910. And Maria and her sister, Gaetana (who was the 1st born) came to the U.S. in 1909 where they remained in Philadelphia, PA, married and raised their families. The other Chiavone children were born in 1891, 1897, 1899, 1902, 1904 and 1906. Maria and Gaetana's parents and siblings emigrated to Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1913 and settled in Rosario, Argentina. Found this thru CEMLA.

For Vincenzo Salerno - his wife (Gaetana Picone) died in 1909 and it states she was the widow of Vincenzo Salerno. They had a child in 1882 so somewhere from 1882 to 1909 Vincenzo died. What office/person should I write to in Gangi looking for this info?

Do you know if Gangi, Palermo has records showing birth, death, etc. for individual families?

I do appreciate your response.

Thank you,
Helen Gallo
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi

I went through the indices checking as well, and like you, no sign of Maria Chiavone. Looking at the 1909 Passenger Records for Gaetana and Maria it has their ages as 17 and 14 respectively, so birth year for Maria would be 1895ish, as you have suggested. I had a look at the month of August for years 1894-1896 incl. and didn't see a record for Maria there. Have you actually been through the records page by page? It may be that the name has been missed off the index like Ann has suggested. It does happen. The other thought is that maybe she was born in another town?

Angela
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Its kinda funny that there is no births in Gangi 1892-1896 of any Chiavone's and being Liborio Chiavone was born in Mistretta Messina according to the marriage record of Liborio Chiavone and Maria Santa Salerno maybe she was born there
Marty

PG LINK TO MARRIAGE RECORD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

adelfio wrote:Its kinda funny that there is no births in Gangi 1892-1896 of any Chiavone's and being Liborio Chiavone was born in Mistretta Messina according to the marriage record of Liborio Chiavone and Maria Santa Salerno maybe she was born there
Marty

PG LINK TO MARRIAGE RECORD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613

Marty
Yes, that was my thought too, that's why I also wondered whether she was born in another town. One of the following links to this story suggests that maybe Maria was adopted by Liborio and Maria Santa. It also gives possible birth dates as 25 July 1894?, 6 September 1894? and then 18 August 1895 – 18 August being the date Maria celebrated as her birthday. I've gone through page by page July August September 1894 and 1895 but nothing there.