Help with search for surname "Bivetto"

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Bivetto

Help with search for surname "Bivetto"

Post by Bivetto »

My grandfather's name was Libonio Bivetto. I have yet to meet another person with this name or found one in my searching in the U.S. and in Italy, in his hometown of Baucina, Sicily. We even asked all the old guys in the square and no one had heard of this name. The story goes that he was an orphan, perhaps adopted at birth. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

I also know that certain names -- both first and last -- are associated with certain cities but don't know how to search for this type of information. Any help?
Thanks!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Help with search for surname "Bivetto"

Post by VaDeb »

YOu have your location listed as Marina di Ragusa, Sicily. I assume that is where your grandfather is from in Sicily and you are in the USA.

Ancestry.com has a "vin bivetto" from PA researching this name. You or a family member perhaps? Also has 13 deaths in the SS data base with this name.

On the 1930 census in Brooklyn, NY there is a Libonbo and FAnny Bivetto and many children listed. Any relation??

If your grandfather was an abandoned infant, he would have been given a surname by the mayor and placed with a family to be raised. Thus his surname would be unique to him. If he was born into a family, his birth registered by the father and then the parents died he would be an orphan. In this case he would retain his given name, that same surname of his father.

Have you tried to find his birth record when you visted the town. That would tell you which situation he was it.

It could be his birth name was something similar to Bivetto, but the name changed in America. This is not unusual and is due to many factors.
Bivetto

Post by Bivetto »

Thanks for the response. My husband and I are retired and living in Italy, currently in Marina di Ragusa. My grandfather's place of birth was Baucina, near Palermo. What you say is very interesting. We were told as children that he was an "orphan" and we know of no other family members. The "Libonio and Fanny" you describe are my grandfather and grandmother. (you wrote his name as "LibonBo, not LibonIo -- is this just a type-o or is that the way it was spelled on the census?) They had 8 children. We have had many deaths through the years. My own father died when he was 38 years old, in 1958. Vin Bivetto is my cousin's son. Is it possible that the 1930 census has other information that would be useful, such as his exact date of birth, his parents' names and place of birth (perhaps not actually Baucina) and how would we access it?

We have gone to Baucina, but the priest was not available to help us and it was during the holidays when the offices were closed. We left a letter with the priest giving him what information I know and hoping to receive a response. We plan to return to Baucina to see what we can find out either from the priest or the comune.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Well, thats what I get for assuming. Living it Italy - I envy you. Sounds wonderful.

I will post a link to the 1930 census. Be back later with that. Does not have the inforamtion you listed, but is helpful in different ways.

Good news about the civil records for Baucina. They are available on microfilm and cover 1821-1906. YOu should be able to find his birth record there.
Here are FHC in Italy: (There is one in Ragusa)
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

REcords for your town of Baucina:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Libonbo Bivetto
Brooklyn, Kings, NY
born abt 1886
He and his wife both entered the USA in 1903 and in 1930 are still aliens - had not filed any of the paperwork for naturalization. All the children born in NY.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9894/19305kk.jpg
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Here is his social security record:

Name: Libonio Bivetto
SSN: 084-07-6545
Last Residence: New York
Born: 16 Mar 1886
Died: Jun 1965
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Here is his WWI draft registration:

Name: Libonio Bivetti
City: Brooklyn
County: Kings
State: New York
Birth Date: 16 Mar 1885
Race: White
Roll: 1754613
DraftBoard: 81

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/2763 ... ard6wv.jpg
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Bivetto wrote:My grandfather's name was Libonio Bivetto. I have yet to meet another person with this name or found one in my searching in the U.S. and in Italy, in his hometown of Baucina, Sicily. We even asked all the old guys in the square and no one had heard of this name. The story goes that he was an orphan, perhaps adopted at birth. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

I also know that certain names -- both first and last -- are associated with certain cities but don't know how to search for this type of information. Any help?
Thanks!
Bivetto,
I suggest you to request the copy of his birth act to:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Umberto I, 78
90020 Baucina (PA)

anagrafe@comune.baucina.pa.it

or to

Archivio di Stato di Palermo

or rent the following Baucina civil record microfilm to FHL (mormon church)

Nascite, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, atti di cittadinanza, morti 1875-1894 FHL INTL Film #1963037

your nearest mormon church is located to:

Ragusa Italy
Viale Europa, 167, Sicilia, ITALY
Phone: 39-0932-642004
Hours: T, Th 17:00-21:00

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
Bivetto

Post by Bivetto »

VaDeb wrote:Libonbo Bivetto
Brooklyn, Kings, NY
born abt 1886
He and his wife both entered the USA in 1903 and in 1930 are still aliens - had not filed any of the paperwork for naturalization. All the children born in NY.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9894/19305kk.jpg
Debbie, thanks so much for all of this wonderful information. This is definitely my family. Can you tell me what codes in line 21 -a-b- and c mean (29 and 56) Does "al" mean they haven't applied for naturalization, as you said?

Grazie!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Those codes were used by the census bureau. They are not supposed to be useful to us and I haven't seen an interpretation of them. Sorry, I can't help with that.