I'm an Italian boy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
orion

I'm an Italian boy

Post by orion »

Hi. I don't speak English very much. I'm searching for information on my relatives immigrated on the United States from 1882 since 1910. I know that my great-grandfather went in US on 1905 and met there his relatives.
I'm searching information on: MEDURI or ARTUSO. They came from the South of Italy. The City is Reggio Calabria. Calabria, Gallina.
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Re: I'm an Italian boy

Post by john_dominic »

orion wrote:Hi. I don't speack English very much. I'm searching for information on my relatives immigrated on the United States from 1882 since 1910. I know that my great-grandfather went in US on 1905 and met there his relatives.
I'm searching information on: MEDURI or ARTUSO. They came from the South of Italy. The City is Reggio Calabria. Calabria, Gallina.
We need a full name (Nome e Cognome) of the people involved to look it up.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

There are quite a few MEDURI'S from Gallina. I've attached a link but john_dominic is right...it would be better if we had a full name. If you have any trouble viewing these manifests, let us know the one you're interested in and we can help you.

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

This is the only Artuso I could find from Reggio but it's spelled Arduso. If you like, I can post the link.

First Name: Antonino
Last Name: Arduso
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Reggio Cal, Reggio Cal
Date of Arrival: May 10, 1908
Age at Arrival: 16y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Hamburg
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0018

Hope this helps some.

Nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Just to add that only 3 Meduri's went to the US in 1905 from that list. They are:

First Name: Giovanni
Last Name: Meduri
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Gallina
Date of Arrival: Apr 06, 1905
Age at Arrival: 19y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Konig Albert
Manifest Line Number: 0011

going to see Francesco in New York

First Name: Giovanni
Age at Arrival: 25y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Manifest Line Number: 0014

also going to see Francesco...the Giovannis travelled together and

First Name: Pasquale
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Manifest Line Number: 0007

going to see Francesco as well in Lyon M(I can't make it out but the Giovanni's went there too) in New York.

orion

Post by orion »

Thank you, thank you. These are very interesting informations for me. Nuccia, do you understand italian? So I can explain to you what I exactly search. However, my great-grandfather was Giovanni Meduri, born on 1880. Probably is the second you explain to me. I know that he going to see his uncle and aunt in New York(?) and his aunt was a Meduri, his uncle was an Artuso(Federico or Ferdinando)(from Italy, Gallina...). How can I found these ancestry? I don't know very much.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I could only find this Artuso from Gallina but I could only do a quick search. Could this be him?

First Name: Fortunato
Last Name: Artuso
Ethnicity: Italy, So. Italian
Last Place of Residence: Gallina, Italy
Date of Arrival: Mar 28, 1912
Age at Arrival: 23y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Canada
Manifest Line Number: 0019

I must go to work now but I promise to look when I get home. My Italian is not very good (I am Calabrese as well) but there are several people here who read Italian very well. Feel free to post in Italian and someone will help you. Look foward to hearing from you.

Nuccia :)
orion

Post by orion »

Nuccia, were your ancestry from Reggio Calabria? (I read it in another topic) I was born in Reggio C. and I live in Reggio Calabria. :mrgreen:

ok! Il padre di mio nonno andò negli Stati Uniti nel 1905, all'età di 25 anni. Lui nacque nel 1880 a Reggio Calabria, precisamente a Gallina. Lui partì da qui insieme ad altri suoi parenti.
Un tempo i padri davano ai figli maschi il loro stesso nome, perciò ci sono diversi Giovanni Meduri.
In quel periodo le nascite venivano tutte registrate o nel comune di Gallina o nel comune di Reggio Calabria. Quindi, i vari Giovanni Meduri di Gallina potrebbero anche essere miei parenti. Ma io, in particolare, sto cercando i miei parenti che sono rimasti negli USA.
Il mio bisnonno, quando andò negli USA, fu ospitato da suoi parenti che abitavano già da diversi anni a New York(?). In particolare erano suoi zii. Suo zio probabilmente si chiamava ARTUSO di cognome, sua zia era MEDURI. Io vorrei riuscire a trovare qualche discendente che vive ancora oggi negli Stati Uniti. Spero che sia tutto chiaro. E' un onore per me poter scrivere a voi. :wink:
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

My grandfather was born in Ardore and my grandmother I think in Mammola. They moved to Locri and raised their family. I have aunts still living there. Is Gallina far from Locri? I still have cousins in Reggio and in Locri.

My cousins Bartolo or Enrico Pace (brothers) own the Pace bakery or confectionary in Reggio and my aunt Enrichetta still lives there (she's 91) Have you heard of it? I remember its not far from where you can get the ferry to Sicily. If you are near the bakery pop in a say hello for me.

I envy you. I love Calabria. The people in Italy are the nicest I ever met and I miss my family. I hope to visit again this summer.

Orion, I hope you keep in touch...maybe we could help each other. As I said, I have to go to work, but I will help you with your search when I come home.

Thank you for taking the time to post me!

Nuccia (my name is Erminia but my family calls me Nuccia) :D :D :D :D :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I have had a friend of mine translate your post to me (I understood most of it, but wanted to make sure) so I understand what you are looking for now. There is a 1910 census I found with a few ARTUSO's in it. I haven't looked at it carefully yet but I'll send you a link to look at. Maybe a name will be familiar to you. It's a starting point and give you something to do today!

I hope you can view it. Meanwhile maybe someone can help orion search for his family in the US?

OK, now I'm late for work... :oops: Thank God its a short day for me.

Be back later

orion

Post by orion »

Nuccia, Ardore and Mammola are situated near Ionian Sea (Mar Ionio) coast, and Locri too, in the East coast of Reggio Calabria(About 100 Km-150 miles). I live in the center of Reggio Calabria.
I Know the PACE'S CONFECTIONERS SHOP. 89122 Reggio Di Calabria (RC) - 32, VIA DE NAVA GIUSEPPE
tel: 0965 810... Pace Antonino, "Laboratorio di pasticceria e gelateria". They are celebrated for theyr products.

There are in the telephone Book of Reggio Calabria:

* Pace Bartolo, 4 Via Libertà (Reggio Cal.)
* Pace Enrico Unica Filiale, 4 Via Libertà.(Reggio Cal.)

In the telephone Book of Ardore there is only a Pace: DOMENICO PACE, Via Toselli N°48(Ardore).
In The T.B. of Locri there are not Pace.

Usefuls link:
www.comune.reggio-calabria.it
http://www.paesionline.it/reggio_calabr ... labria.asp

http://www.comune.locri.rc.it/index.php
http://www.locriantica.it/

Nuccia, because Erminuccia.
Francesco...Ciccio.
Salvatore...Salvo.
Antonino...Tony.
Giovanni...Gianni.
Domenico...Mico
Nicola...Nico...etc.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Orion,

You are so right about my name. My grandmother was Erminia. Then, my cousin was born and they called her Erminia, but used Erminuccia to separate the two. When I was born, they nicknamed me Nuccia so everyone would know I was the youngest. That's funny, I didn't think anyone knew that!

You also mentioned Antonino...Tony. It could be Tonino or Nino, too.

I'm glad you know of my cousins. They were very good to be each time I visited. I was (and despite my age) still am spoiled by them when visiting. I think it's just Italian hospitality! When Dad goes there they are always sending all kinds of goodies that he sneaks over for me. Please, if you ever go there, look for them and tell them Nuccia from Toronto, Zio Damiano's daughter sends her love!

VJ has been looking into your family most of today. She sent me a PM aand hopefully will be posting her findings soon. She has some information but she wants to make sure before posting. Do you know the name Malavenda at all? It seems that the Meduri's went to stay with Francesco Meduri in Lyon Mountain, Clinton New York. Frank Meduri lived with a family in 1910 named Malavenda in Dannemora, Clinton, NY. VJ says Lyon Mountain wa a mining town. She, and I now that I'm home will keep looking.

All the best!

Nuccia :D :D :D :D :D
orion

Post by orion »

Nuccia, thank you! You must know that italian hospitality is holy. If I will go there I tell them...

Thank you for these informations...I hope to find someone of my hancestry.

My name is Francesco (like the father of my mom) and all call me Ciccio. It's strange, but my name is Francesco Meduri, like the other one that lived in US.
In Italy, parents call own sons like theyr parents.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Francesco (sorry, I like this name better than orion),

Here's a link to a newspaper article that VJ found about a Giovanni Meduri, in court with his employer. We don't know if it's your family but read it anyway and let us know what you think.

http://news.nnyln.net/plattsburgh-sentinel/search.html

Put Meduri in the search bar on your left. Download and read the last article on your left.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Here is the census for Francesco (Frank) Meduri living in Clinton, Ny with his cousins the Malavenda's

Meduri

orion

Post by orion »

mmmmm...I don'n know...My granfather tell me that my great-grandfather was a shoemaker-cobbler and a coxswain in New York(?)(Or in one of the biggest city of US(I think NY)).