"Un pezzo di terra" vs. "Un luogo"?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
VotM
Elite
Elite

"Un pezzo di terra" vs. "Un luogo"?

Post by VotM »

Automated translators are well and good for getting a general idea of a sentence's meaning, but sometimes the shades of differences in meaning can be elusive.

In the Riveli entries for my great-great-great-grandfather, I came across the phrases "Un pezzo di terra con alberi..." and "Un luogo con alberi..." The translations offered were "A piece of land with trees..." and "A place with trees..." Unfortunately, the difference between "a piece of land" and "a place" in such a context eludes me. Can anyone shed any light on the distinction? And what of "Un pezzo di luogo..."?

As a side note, is there (or was there) an actual property size that distinguishes "un pezzo" from "un pezzetto"?

Thanks in advance!
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: "Un pezzo di terra" vs. "Un luogo"?

Post by liviomoreno »

The translation is correct, and there's no difference between the two sentences.
Pezzo (piece) and pezzetto (small piece) are very generic, but pezzetto is smaller than pezzo, the same as in English
VotM
Elite
Elite

Re: "Un pezzo di terra" vs. "Un luogo"?

Post by VotM »

I had wondered if there might have been some subtle distinction, such as "un luogo" implies a dwelling is present while "un pezzo di terra" lacks such a feature. But it sounds like the two are simply variations of the same thing. Thanks!
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342