Just starting can anyone help?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by nuccia »

Just to add..

2 Giuseppes travelled in 1924 on different boats, different months. I believe the 14 year old was the son of the Giuseppe I posted above.



First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Campochiaro
Ethnicity: Italy, Ital. South
Last Place of Residence: Riesi, Italy
Date of Arrival: Dec 02, 1924
Age at Arrival: 14y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Patria
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0009

page 2

page 1

He's going to see his father at 33 Hanover St Boston Mass...the same address as his father went to.

I can't remember if I gave the link to the first Giuseppe. If not, I will post it.

Nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by nuccia »

Hi eyetalgal,

Don't put yourself down. You've done very well and are good at this!

Smile

Nuccia :D
User avatar
travele799
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 00:00

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by travele799 »

Thank you Nuccia!!!! That is my grandfather the 14 year old coming over.... Wow, I have been working on this for two weeks now and in a few minutes you have accomplished more than I have!!
Now the big question is how do I find out about his naturalization status (and thus if I can go ahead and try to get dual citizenship!!)

mark
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by nuccia »

This is a link to a manifest on the Boston Passenger Lists from Ancestry. com.

It could be the first Giuseppe..wife Francesca.

Boston Manifest

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943 Recordinfo
about Giuseppe Campochiaro
Name: Giuseppe Campochiaro
Arrival Date: 9 Sep 1912
Age: 27 years
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Gender: Male
Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Cretic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Luigi Lauern
Last Residence: Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: 183

Does this help?

Nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by nuccia »

Hey, been there so I know how you feel. Sometimes when you're too close to something you tend to miss things. Or sometimes, someone just knows where to look. Lots of people here helped me or I would have been lost!

Let me see if I can find any census's and that might give us a clue. There should be a 1930 one.

Nuccia :D
User avatar
travele799
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 00:00

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by travele799 »

Nuccia,
Sorry to say I am not a member of ancestry.com!! Upon further inspection of the ellis island documents... I noticed that the place of birth is listed as Italy... my grandfather was born in Boston! It is possible that he was a family member that lived in the same house?! I will need to look into that!
User avatar
travele799
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 00:00

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by travele799 »

Nuccia, sorry I could not see the information you gave at first (the Japanese computer I am on had to be reconfigured!) The boston manifest may be my great grandfather....I need to find out if my great grandmother changed her name at some time... on her death certificate it is listed as Crocifissa Campochiaro maiden (radosta) bbirth date March 1884?!
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by nuccia »

What I can suggest to you that if you can not view the links, then continue to gather a little more infor and register for the 14 day free trail at ancestry.com. Otherwise, make use of your local library and view it there for free.

Do you know what your great grandmothers name was or or grandmothers? The first Giuseppe I posted had a son born in Mass but he was older than the person you mentioned.

Your post just came in. The first manifest I posted gives your great grandmothers name as Crocifissa. Look it over and see. Let me take a look too ans see about the naturalization.

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
travele799
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 00:00

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by travele799 »

I just found my great grandmothers information. She was on theship Citta di Torino from Palermo on oct 8, 1907 she said she was going to see g. campochiaro....
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by nuccia »

Good. Your greatgrandfather still an alien in 1910. I read the manifest wrong. Your grandfather Giuseppe on this census is 7 months old meaning he was born in 1909 in Mass. Your great grandmothers fathers name was Colgero Bien or Rein.

I think its a safe bet that this is the family you seek. I need to get some sleep for I have to be a work early in the morning but I will help you look tomorrow for 1920 and 1930 census.

Maybe someone will know where to write to in Boston to request his naturalization papers.

Hope you have a good day or night (what time is it in Japan anyway?)

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
travele799
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 00:00

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by travele799 »

Thank you so much for your help Nuccia! It is about lunch time here now, and I should do a bit of work now (I guess!). Thanks again for everything...
mark
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by nuccia »

No problem, Mark...

I'm following a lead on Boston Naturalization lists for the early 1900-1920's. If I find anything I will post it.

Have a good lunch1

Work :cry:

Nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by nuccia »

Have alook at this site when you get the chance. It gives some good information.

http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/natura ... cords.html

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by vj »

Mark,
a little more info on your search for naturalization info

clues on another ships manifest (on ancestry)

Dec 1937
Ship Saturnia sailing from Palermo

Giuseppe CAMPOCHIARO 55 yrs old, laborer, nationality Italy
born Riesi, (visa) Q 377 issued Naples 30 Oct 1937, notation A
(A = alien?)

wife
Crocifissa CAMPOCHIARO 53 yrs old, housewife, nationality Italy
born Riesi, (visa) Q 378 issued Naples 30 Oct 1937, notation A

It appears they weren't naturalized by 1937...
(5 other names on this page were stamped 'US Citizen', with naturalization dates)

vj
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Just starting can anyone help?

Post by nuccia »

Mark,

You should have a look at this site. vj must have been reading my mind when she sent it to me. You need to prove your grandfather was never naturalized and your dad never renounced his citizenship in order for you to get citizenship, right?

http://www.italiamerica.org/id72.htm


You have lots of work to do!

Thanks vj!

Nuccia
Post Reply