Trouble connecting these Rappas and Barrettas

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lisapeters65
Veteran
Veteran

Trouble connecting these Rappas and Barrettas

Post by Lisapeters65 »

I'm hoping that one of you experts can help me connect the Rappas and Barrettas on these two trees. (Screenshot attached).
The top left tree is mine.
The bottom right belongs to a cousin that was confirmed through a DNA test.
We both have Rappas and Barrettas in out trees but we can't figure out how they connect to each other.
Any help will be truly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Trouble connecting these Rappas and Barrettas

Post by PippoM »

Where are they from?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Lisapeters65
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lisapeters65 »

From Borgetto, Sicily, Italy.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

It's not so easy, but you have a lot of documents to work on online at Family Search.
For instance, this is the marriage of Giovanni Rappa and Angela d'Arrigo on Nov 27th, 1819:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2046915

Giovanni was the son of deceased Cesare, and Giovanna Frisina.

Cesare, their son, seems to have been born on Oct 6th,1820, a twin of Casimiro:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2046915

Notice that registers have indexes by christian name.
You'll be able to go back several generations, and maybe you'll find their common ancestors.
If you have any problem with latin, you can ask for help on this Forum.

Lisapeters65
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lisapeters65 »

Can you send me the link to be able to search for records on that site? I only know how to search from the main page home on Family Search.com.
Thanks!
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

Go to the landing (home) page at Family Search.com.
Select "Catalog" from the Search menu.
Click on "Place" and enter "Borgetto"
FamilySearch will auto-complete with "Italy, Palermo, Borgetto".
Then click the blue Search button.
There are 3 catalogs:
Italy, Palermo, Borgetto - Census
Italy, Palermo, Borgetto - Church records
Italy, Palermo, Borgetto - Civil registration

Click on Church records, and follow the links to the desired "film".
Click on Camera icon to view digital images of the film of interest.

Good luck. Have fun!
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
Lisapeters65
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lisapeters65 »

Thank you!
Lisapeters65
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lisapeters65 »

Hm...I tried that, and I went through the steps, but didn't see a place to put in a name to search for...?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I'm sorry you can't search by name.
You have to go through the registers (but they have images of indexes)

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

Lisapeters65 wrote:I didn't see a place to put in a name to search for...?
PippoM wrote:You have to go through the registers
Let the fun begin! :)
You are right where most of us began our virtual genealogy trips to Italy.
I've been there. You don't have to know much Italian to find the indices and locate Rappas and Barrettas. Start with the most recent ancestors, and look for names of interest. If you find a possible ancestor, and can't read Italian, post a translation request (with link) in the IG Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations. Someone will help.
Regards,
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
Lisapeters65
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lisapeters65 »

Ok I'll try that. Thank you!
Lisapeters65
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lisapeters65 »

Ken, I went there and started making a list of all the Rappas and Barrettas, and more surnames of my relatives. After a few pages, it started listing them by first name (like all the Maria's were on one page) that made it take long to look at each ones last name. Anyway, Eventually I turned the page and saw a record, so I thought the list was done and the records were starting. So I typed in a page where I saw a Rappa, page 263, but page 263 was just another list of names.
How does this work? I really thought I was finally on my way to getting somewhere.
Thanks, Lisa
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

Lisapeters65 wrote:Ken, I went there and started making a list of all the Rappas and Barrettas, and more surnames of my relatives. After a few pages, it started listing them by first name (like all the Maria's were on one page) that made it take long to look at each ones last name.
Lisa,
I have not worked with church records (not available for my ancestors), so had to figure it out first. I'm looking at the Battesimi 1818-1834 from Pippo's post. Yes, they're indexed by first name. Fun, fun.
Lisapeters65 wrote:Anyway, Eventually I turned the page and saw a record, so I thought the list was done and the records were starting. So I typed in a page where I saw a Rappa, page 263, but page 263 was just another list of names. How does this work? I really thought I was finally on my way to getting somewhere.
You're on the right track....find the names and note the record number. The record number references the number written at the top of each entry in the book. Don't think "pages". Basically, you are using a computer to view digital images created from a microfilm (each digital image usually has 2 paper pages).

The number in the priest's index points to the record number. The FamilySearch numbers [in the upper left corner] are for the digital images. They won't match (not even close). The record number is the record count in the book (first entry is #1, second is #2, third is #3, etc). They may or may not correspond to pages in the book. For example, the image for the baptism from Pippos' post (attached below) shows records #162 and #163. However, it is digital image #153.

The next step is easier to demonstrate than to describe (especially w/out knowing which collection you are working with). I'll describe the general process. The FamilySearch viewer displays the image number. You have to read the record number from the image. The second image below shows digital image #287 with records #422 and #423. You can use the "<" and ">" icons to go backward/forward one image at a time. Or you can enter an image number. The tool on the left is used to manipulate the image view. The "+" and "-" icons zoom in/out on the image. The third icon toggles the view between a single image or thumbnails of many records (thumbnails are handy when looking for the annual indices in civil records). The "[ ]" icon toggles your browser display to "full screen" and back (same as F11).
FamilySearch Help also has some info.
Hope that helps.
-Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lisapeters65
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lisapeters65 »

Ken, thanks for the instructions, and for explaining that the page number is not the record number. That really helped.
However, even looking for the record numbers is too hard for me. The numbers are too hard to read and they don't even seem to be in the right order.
So I just decided to look at the first 100 pages and see if I recognize any names.
Then I copied the links to ones that I thought had my family names on them and I will post the links in the translation section of this website and hopefully somebody can translate them for me.
I guess I'll do it just do it this way, a little at a time, and hopefully someday I will get the whole puzzle put together.
Thanks again,
Lisa
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Heres a latin baptism record with a general translation to see where the parents names are on the record
What I would do is find children of the marriages you have and go from there
Page#29
Record#42
Giannola Joanna (Giovanna)
1873 Feb 7th
I, Parish Priest, Francesco Salvia town of Borgetto in the church of Santa Maria Maddalena , baptized a female baby
born yesterday here in Borgetto to Francesco Paolo Giannola, and Flavia Occhipinti married couple. She was named Joanna (Giovanna).
Godparents were Salvatore Pezzino and Josepha (Giuseppa) Leto

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty