Manifest references to ggf's USA location

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mdvukas
Rookie
Rookie

Manifest references to ggf's USA location

Post by mdvukas »

I am trying to find documentation of my ggf Samuele Di Virgilio being in the US. I have found one manifest from his brother Ferdinando that came here in 1909 saying that he was going to brother Samel DiVirgilio in Rodi, PA and I found another from my gf Gennaro Di Virgilio that came here in 1920 saying that he was going to see his father Samuele.

I have found no manifests for Samuele ever coming here. He would have come from Roccaraso or Pietransieri .

What other documention may be available?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Manifest references to ggf's USA location

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Ancestry . com has a record for a "Sam de Virgilio" coming into Canada. I do not have an International Ancestry account, so I cannot see any more details than that. Many Italians did come into the US by way of overland (esp. train) crossing after arriving in Canada by boat.

When (approximately) was Samuele born?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mdvukas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mdvukas »

Haven't been able to find a birth or death date yet. Samuele's brother Ferdinando was born in 1861 and my gf was born in 1901 but I haven't been able to find anything else on my ggf Samuele.

My family says that they know he is buried in either Pietransieri or Roccaraso.

The Canada record would be off the map from the rest of the family. When any ot my relatives came here they alll went to one of three places. They either went to Latrobe, PA, Lusk, PA (original name for Ringertown, PA) or the listed Rodi, PA. The places are all within 1/2 drive from each other. I have not been able to find anything else of him.

Thank you for your help!
Diane
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey Diane,
Here's a possible Phila 1906 manifest from ancestry. com
Valarie

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/293/1906.jpg

May 1906, SS Haverford, Liverpool to Philadelphia
line 16
Samuele Di Virgilio 51 (abt 1855)
- married
- last residence Roccaraso
- destination Roddy, PA (Rodi, Allegheny, PA)
- joining cousin Ignazio Di Virgilio
mdvukas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mdvukas »

OMG!! I can't believe that you found him!! I was on Ancestory awhile ago and didn't find anything on him. This is a great website!!!

There is no question about it you found the proof that I have been looking for that shows he really was in this county at one time.

Thank you sooooo much!!!!

Diane
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Diane
I'm so glad we could find your ggf Samuele :D
Please let us know if you need help with anything else
Valarie
merlinus187

Post by merlinus187 »

I know this post is 5 years old, My great Grandmother Anna Maria Di Virgilio and Grandfather Donato came over in 1899, not sure if that was her married name, but her husband was named Luigi...her last known residence before coming here one last time was Roccaraso as well.
mdvukas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mdvukas »

Hi Merlinus187!

I am always excited to receive answers on my posts! Can you tell me where they were headed for in the US?
My family all came to a small area in western Pennsylvania.
merlinus187

Post by merlinus187 »

Hi mdvukas

I have tracked My great-grandma and Grandfather to here initially in May 11,1898 to see her husband named then as Luigi
Then I track her arriving in New York in Sept 1900 to her second marriage in Latrobe, PA to a Guiseppi Corleto in 1900 and then a marriage to Carmine Cuccaro in 1902 in Pitcairn, PA just a short distance away.

I guess as my previous post was they came last I knew in 1898 and 1900 the origin was Roccaraso, apparently my Grandfather Donato Di Virgilio came on the 1900 trip with Anna Maria DiVirgilio and she came by herself in 1898 to visit Luigi in New York.

After more research when Anna Maria married in 1900 to Guiseppi Corleto, he prior husband died in November 1899, a month after Donato Di Virgilio's (Grand Father) birth in October.

So I guess, either this is her married name to Luigi or her maiden name. Also, if Roccaraso was his/hers or they are both from there.

Sorry for the delay, never received a notification so i figured my post was still floating lol. I guess the information I seek mainly is back home in Italy, I just have been having difficulty locating.
mdvukas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mdvukas »

This may interest you! I had DiVirgilio relatives in Pitcairn. The first one here that I know of was named Ignazio DiVirgilio. I have also seen the family name spelled DeVirgilio. I have also seen reference to my ggf being in Latrobe,PA. The funny thing is that I live in the middle off each. Latrobe is about 30 min East of where I live and Pitcairn is about 20 min West from where I am. I'll bet there is a connection!

Diane