Help from someone in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Help from someone in Italy

Post by Anizio »

Hello,

I was hoping there might be someone in Rome or Naples who might be able to help me.

There are court records in the State Archive in Rome, and catasto records in the Naples state Archive, that I would like to get.

Even though taking pictures in person would be free, getting them to make digital copies to send to me is proving to be prohibitively expensive, and it seems 'professionals' want $400+ before even considering helping people.

I have helped quite a few people so I am hoping some karma comes back my way.

Thanks!
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help from someone in Italy

Post by elmosgirl »

Hello Anizio,

I've been hoping (and asking) to find a qualified, reliable researcher to help with records in Naples I cannot
access myself. Thus far, I haven't had replies.

However, I did hire an ex-pat in the Potenza province to do the same for me and it was a godsend.

You've made me think I'll ask if he knows of anyone to recommend. Ex-pats in their adopted countries have ways of staying in touch!

Glad you brought this up again,

Noel
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The 400 Euro fee I assume is from Naples where the photographer will take photos of the entire Catasto for the town. He is not a reseacher and will not look up the page you need. The staff there won't either.
Court records are the same. Bundles that someone has to go through page by page.
I have been to both archives and its a long process. You have to arrive before a certain time and make a written request for the records you wnat. There is a limit on how many books you can request at one time. Then you wait for ?? an hour for the delivery as many records are stored off site. Paying a professional researcher for all this waiting time can be expensive.
Asking an ex-pat is asking a lot unless they are going for theri own research.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Italysearcher,

I have been to many state archives in Italy in the past and almost none of what you have said is accurate. I would appreciate you not misleading people.

I suspect the link in your signature to a 'professional genealogy' site is the heart of your misleading people, because you probably are one of those people who like to scam ignorant searchers. I am not ignorant, I know the process well and am not new.

1 - the $400, not Euro, was what "professional genealogists" usually want before they even consider doing anything
2 - yes both professional genealogists and people at the Archives will look up specific pages of Catasto's
3 - I do not need the entire Catasto, I need about 30 pages of it.
4 - Court records are not the same, they are easy to find and I again need about 30 pages worth.
5 - it is not a long process until you are 90 and have slow wrists. I never needed to spend more than an hour in an archive to get everything I want. They are usually very professional and helpful.
6 - There is not that much waiting time.
7 - I never said I want someone to do it for free, I am just not interesting in being scammed and ripped off. And getting the Archive to send me the stuff in Canada is proving difficult. If I was there I would have all of this in less than an afternoon.

I have no idea where you have got your information from but thanks for nothing. Hopefully you have not discouraged anyone from offering help after the hours I have spend helping other people on this forum, for free...
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by elmosgirl »

Hello Anizio and Ann,

When (and if) I have a reply from my previously-hired researcher in Italy, I will let you know what I learn, Anizio.

Ann, if you will reread my reply carefully, I believe you might clear your misunderstanding of what I wrote.
I do not suggest "asking an ex-pat" to travel to Archives to do research, whether for myself or Anizio!
Your reply to both of us is way off the mark. Please take time to read what each of us has written.

I hope others on the Board, most especially new members far less experienced than Anizio or I, are not discouraged from researching by your reply. I've had surprising help from Italian resources others have told me were "impossible" to find/extend cooperation/answer my correspondence/help me, etc. Assumptions are dangerous things.

If there is someone in Italy to help us, I am confident we will find that person. Maybe not yesterday, but we will find him/her/them.

Noel
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Anzio,
I take offence at what you wrote about me and my website. It is NOT a link to a professional geneaology site and does not profess to be. I am a professional researcher and the site contains articles from my experience researching in the area where I live.
I have been to the Archives in Naples and met the photographer, even hired him to photograph a small number of pages in a file that was not available the same day. He did not follow up.
When I requested the staff there to research a page from a Catasto they referred me back to the photographer who would not look up the record but would photograph the entire Catasto for the town. i.e 400 Euro more or less depending how many pages there were.
Frosinone, and Isernia are small archives and the staff are helpful and the waiting time neglible but Naples and Rome and Caserta are as I described.
I am not trying to mislead people and I am not looking for business. I rarely accept requests to go to the State Archives, my specialty is parish records and civil records for towns where there are no on-line records.
Many people who are researching family history come to Italy expecting to do research in the State Archives and are sorely disappointed to discover that the records available (with a few exceptions - mainly the Catasto Onciaro) are the same ones they have already researched on microfilm at home.
If either of you need a researcher for the Naples archive I recommend Joe De Simone. His ad is usually on the right column of this site. He is reliable, American born and I am sure will confirm what I have said about the Archives in Naples.
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Oh boy you are offended. As if that means something. I am sorry you responded and spoiled my legitimate request for help, and I am offended that you think I will buy your ignorance. I have done research in person all over Italy so I am not falling for your tricks, and if not tricks, ignorance. Kindly restrain yourself next time I post something.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Hmmm, my 'ignorance' didn't seem to bother you when I gave you some suggestions about finding records in Rome.
Ann Tatangelo