birth record translation help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Jen5525
Veteran
Veteran

birth record translation help

Post by Jen5525 »

Hi all,

I've just FINALLY found a birth record for my great great grandmother. Maria Apollonia Signorella b. 14 September 1862 to Pasquale Signorella and Gaetana ?. I'm having trouble making out the handwriting of her mother's last name, as well as the translation in general. It looks like Pasquale's father's name is Giuseppe. But that's all the information I was able to get from the record...given my extremely limited Italian skills. Any assistance you all can provide would be very appreciated!

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: birth record translation help

Post by adelfio »

Index#443
In the year 1862 15th day of Sept at the 14th hour at the town hall. In the presence of Francesco Labriolo mayor of the town of Altamura. appeared Pasquale Signorella age 28 shoemaker son of Giuseppe Signorella who resides in the town of Altamura strada di Martiri who declared to me at 2nd hour on the 14th day of Sept from Gaetana Calia age 19 wife with the inhabitant is born a baby of the female sex that is presented to us and given the name Maria Apollonia Signorella .

The presentation and declaration of the above mentioned is made in the presence of Giuseppe Lomurno age 50 cabinetmaker and Giuseppe Furino age 70 shoemaker and Pasquale Signorella residing in Altamura. They were read the present act and witnessed it. They did not sign it because they didn't know how to write the mayor signed.
She was baptized at the church of San Nicola on 15th day of Sept
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Jen5525
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jen5525 »

thanks so much Marty! that was MUCH more than I was able to get from the record. And you may have given me even more information than you thought!

I was pretty sure I saw the name Furino on another document. Again, the handwriting is unclear. But if you wouldn't mind...I think the mother's name in this birth record for Giuseppe Clemente is Angela Furino. For context, Maria Apollonia Signorella married Giuseppe Clemente (although I haven't found their marriage record yet).

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I read Angela Jurino
Jen5525
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jen5525 »

thanks liviomoreno. Having a hard time locating anyone with surname Jurino. Even Furino is difficult to find, but found some in a database with that last name. would love assistance in translating Giuseppe Clemente's birth record. Maybe there's something else I'm missing that would give me a clue.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

on 1861 July 10, in front of the mayor of Altamura, appeared Lucia Moramarco, midwife, aged 56, daughter of Giuseppe, who presented a baby male and she declared that the baby was born, om July 9, to Angela Jurino, aged 26, wife of Michele Clemente aged 30.
Giuseppe was baptized on July 10.
Jen5525
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jen5525 »

thanks so much! now on the for any record pertaining to Angela (birth, marriage, death). she'd have been born around 1835 if she was 26 at the time of Giuseppe Clemente's birth. I've looked in the birth indices for 1834 and 1835 and didn't see her...and checked for both Jurino and Furino...but will look again. perhaps I missed her.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Here you have the marriage of Michele and Angela http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
1857 Jan 10
Groom: Michele Clemente 27yo born in Altamura son of dec Nicola (+1844 Jul 7) and living Teresa Leone
Bride: Angela Jurino 24yo born in Altamura daughter of dec Giuseppe (+1839 Jan 8) and living Rosa Mercadante

Angela's birth is here http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
1833 aug 28, father Giuseppe Jurino aged 32, mother Rosa Mercadante aged 28
Jen5525
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jen5525 »

you are amazing Liviomoreno!!! thanks so much. I didn't go back far enough for Angela's birth it seems :)
Jen5525
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jen5525 »

you are amazing Liviomoreno!!! thanks so much. I didn't go back far enough for Angela's birth it seems :)

the dates you have after dec Nicola and dec Giuseppe...those are their approximate dates of death?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Jen5525 wrote:...

the dates you have after dec Nicola and dec Giuseppe...those are their approximate dates of death?
they are the exact dates of death.
Nicola Clemente died July 7 1844 and his father died 14 Aug 1813
Giuseppe Jurino died Jan 8 1839 and his father died 5 February 1810

I could not find Nicola's death record.
Here is Giuseppe's death record http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0, he died aged 42, son of dec Giovanni and deceased Nunzia Di Marco(sp?), husband of Rosa Mercadante
Jen5525
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jen5525 »

wow! you are fantastic! I'm only about 1 month into trying to do my family tree. you have helped me tremendously!
Jennifer
Jen5525
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jen5525 »

could the last name for Giuseppe and Angela be with an "i" like igloo, and not a "j" like jar. In the index for Angela's birth, the name under hers looks like Incognito, which wouldn't make much sense with a J...since Jn is not a common combination. and...there are MANY with the last name iurino in altamura.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 8.jpg.html
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You are correct it is Iurino not Jurino.
Jen5525
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jen5525 »

thanks! think I'll be able to make quite a bit of progress on her ancestors now :)