Title that looks like 'Macso.' in Kingdom of Naples records?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mark04ox

Title that looks like 'Macso.' in Kingdom of Naples records?

Post by mark04ox »

Hi everyone,

I'm just looking at some death records from 1813 from a comune in the Kingdom of Naples, and I've noticed a lot of the men's first names are preceded by what looks like a word which is not part of their name. It's an abbreviation of something, but I don't know what -- it looks like 'Macso.' -- and I'm not sure if it's some kind of title (but all these men are peasants), or if it's some fact about them -- this is the same space where they would put 'Quondam' or 'fu' to indicate the person would be dead, for example. Does anyone know what this word is?

I've included a screenshot of an example -- 'figlia del Macso. Giuliano'

Thanks!
Attachments
Macso.png
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Title that looks like 'Macso.' in Kingdom of Naples records?

Post by liviomoreno »

It is Maestro
mark04ox

Post by mark04ox »

I wondered about that, but why would they be called 'Maestro'? There seem to be a lot of men with this title, all of them contadini. It is definitely distinct from 'Signore' which is applied to landowners. What sort of person would be called 'Maestro'?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Mastro (Maestro) is just a title to indicate that the person has unusual skills...
mark04ox

Post by mark04ox »

Ah, ok, so it could indicate any craftsman then? Like a shoemaker or a carpenter? Thank you!!