find a town on naturalization record

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Chicago348

find a town on naturalization record

Post by Chicago348 »

Hello all,

I am doing some genealogy research on my Italian family. I have two records with a birth town listed as "Salcena". However, there appears to be no such town anywhere in Italy. Could "Salcena" be a misspelling or a translation error?

The last name of the family I am searching for is Porreca. Alternate spellings may be Perreca or Purreca. I suspect they lived in or near Giffoni Valle Piana, Acerno, or Salerno in the province of Salerno. However, I'm really not sure.

Does anyone have any thoughts on "Salcena"?

Thanks so much!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: find a town on naturalization record

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
If you give us somemore info like names and dates and where they settled in the US we can help

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Chicago348

Post by Chicago348 »

Thanks so much, Marty! The information I have so far is listed below. As you can see, it's not perfect information, but it points to the Salerno area in Italy. The person I'm researching specifically is Assunta Porreca (married name Galluzzi) who's birth town I have yet to discover. I have contacted the towns of Salerno, Giffoni Valle Piana, and Acerno and could not find Assunta's birth record. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Raffaele Porreca - father
born 26 Dec 1857 in Italy
married Vincenza Aurilia in Italy
immigrated to the US on 19 Dec 1919, ship name "Duca d'Aosta" from Naples
manifest shows "Italy south" as race, "Giffone" as last residence, and "Cervinara" as birthplace
1920 census shows he resided in Chicago with Vincenza, Minie, Suzi, and Maria
also called "Ralph"
died 18 March 1944 - birthplace listed as "Cifone Valle Piane, Italy"

Vincenza Porreca - mother
born 5 Jun 1863, maiden name Aurilia
immigrated with family in 1919
resided in Chicago
birthplace listed as "Cifone, Salerno, Italy"
died 9 Oct 1947

Filomena Porreca - daughter 1
born 12 Aug 1888
maried Domenico Gervasio in Italy
immigrated 17 Feb 1921 from Naples on ship "Guglielmo Pierce"
manifest shows "Italian South" as race, "Giffoni Valle Piana" as residence, and "Filetto" as birthplace
died 23 Dec 1979 in Chicago

Domenica Porreca - daughter 2
born 1899 in Italy
called "Minnie" or "Minie"
married James Shamon

Assunta Porreca - daughter 3
born 9 July 1901 in Italy
also called "Susan", "Susie", or "Suzi"
resided in Chicago
married Giovanni (John) Galluzzi on 2 Sept 1920 in Chicago
on a child's birth certificate in 1921, Assunta's birthplace was listed as "Salerno, Italy"
in 1945, John Galluzzi wrote that Assunta was born in "Salcena, Italy" on his Declaration of Intention
in 1947, John Galluzzi wrote that Assunta was born in "Salcena, Italy" on his Petition for Naturalization
died 22 Jan 2000 in Chicago

Maria Porreca - daughter 4
born 02/08/1903 in Acerno, Italy
the birth date and location were confirmed by an archivist in Acerno to the parents Raffaele Porreca and Vincenza Aurilia, however they did not find a birth record for Assunta there
immigrated with her family in 1919
married Enrico Citarella
resided in Chicago
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Nome: Domenico Gervasio
Classe: 1891
Comune di nascita: Acerno
Full text: Gervasio Domenico di Carmine e Frasca Filomena nato il 22/9/1891 a Acerno di professione carbonaio

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Chicago348

Post by Chicago348 »

Thanks, Marty! That definitely looks correct and supports the Salerno/Acerno area for the Porreca family. What database are you searching in?
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Manifest (rows 2-6, column 33) shows "ITALY, Ciffone" as last permanente residence, and "Italy, Cervinara" as birthplace of Perroca Raffaele, Vincenza, Domenica, Assunta, Maria.
http://assets.libertyellisfoundation.or ... 090800.jpg
http://assets.libertyellisfoundation.or ... 090798.jpg

COMUNE DI CERVINARA (AV)
http://www.halleyweb.com/c064025/zf/ind ... izio/20001
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Chicago348

Post by Chicago348 »

Thank you, mmogno.

Yes, I have looked at that manifest. I have actually already contacted Cervinara AV and am awaiting a response. I'm still stuck on the unknown "Salcena" town. Thanks for the help though.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

They where born in Cervinara so I would rent the Family History Library microfilms of Cervinara that can be viewed and copied at a FHL center near you
Registri dello stato civile di Cervinara , 1809-1899 civil records of Births, marriages, banns, marriage documents, deaths including indexes

FAMILY HISTORY LOCATOR
https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

ORDERING FILMS FROM FHL
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... ory_Center

ABOUT ITALIAN RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... al_Records

ONLINE CLASS FOR TRANSLATING ITALIAN RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/learningcenter ... 22Italy%22

RECORDS FOR CERVINARA FROM FHL
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Marty

Marty
Jess7281

Post by Jess7281 »

Hi Chicago348- these are my relatives as well! My great grandmother was Assunta Porreca. Did you find out her birth place? How are you related?
Jess7281

Post by Jess7281 »

Hi! I personal messaged you back, but I'm not sure if you received! I'm sorry I am terrible at getting back to you on here! Please feel free to text me. I have the same number that you should have. But please let me know if not!
rmcunningham

Post by rmcunningham »

Chicago348 and Jess - My wife is great grand daughter of Maria Porreca, and would love to see if you have had success in this research. Thanks!
Paula

Post by Paula »

Hello! My name is Paula I am from Argentina. My great grandmother was Ursula Porreca, she came to Argentina with another family to get married. I know she was born In Giffoni Valle Piana and I have the name of her parents (Raffaelle Porreca and Vicenza Aurilia) from her marriage certificate but I dont know anything more. I read your post and I would love if you could tell me something about that part of my family.

Sorry for my english.