DNA Test Results & Question For Others

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

DNA Test Results & Question For Others

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

I received my Ancestry DNA results. My mother's family is from Campania. My father's family is Northern European.

I got mostly Italian (indo-European) followed by Irish (only one point difference), Scandinavian, British, and Iberian. Trace Caucasus (Southern Russia/Georgia/Armenia). Now what's odd is lack of Middle Eastern as many Southern Italians have a great deal of Middle Eastern DNA.

I have a question about the Iberian. How common is it for Italians to have Iberian DNA? Mine is 11 percent, and I'm trying to figure out whether it's recent or ancient. See, I traced all my mother's ancestors to Italy, but we can't find one great great grandfather. Most likely, we was Italian because my great great grandmother was, but now there's a question especially since Iberian came up.

So if you took a DNA test, did you get Iberian? If so, what was your percentage?

Thanks! :D

For Europe, With Love.
BPS

Re: DNA Test Results & Question For Others

Post by BPS »

One has to look at history, immigration patterns and wars.
The Romans were in Spain/Portugal (Iberian Peninsula). The Romans named Spain - Hispania.

I got 55% Italian/Greek and 11% Middle Eastern (mums family is from Calabria).
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

No surprise, the reign of Naples and that of Sicily, referred to as the Reign of the two Sicilies was governed for a period of time by the crown of Aragon (1400s) and was part of the Spanish Empire (1500 - 1700). Of corse the Iberia peninsula is constituted by Spain an Portugal
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Thanks for responding.

Well, 15th to 18th century is fairly recent. And that's what I was wondering . . . If it was a population admixture.

DNA Land has it specifically as Basque rather than generally Iberian.

Very interesting. :D
For Europe, With Love.
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

Hi, Brown Eyed Girl!
I was born in Campania and by no means I am a DNA expert. In fact, I am here because I just sent out my sample to get the DNA results. What I can tell you is that God blessed Italy with an infinite amount of beautiful places. As a result, everybody wants to go to Italy. Well, after the fall of the Roman Empire we had a long list of people, from everywhere on the map, who wanted to come and reside in Italy. Most of them came by force. So, forget about pure Italian blood, and I guess that my DNA will show some of these attributes, even though my lineage is, as far as I know, from around the area where I was born.
Neil
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Neil,

Thank you for responding. I know it's such a beautiful place. When I look at pictures, I can't believe my ancestors left it. It looks like home to me. :)

If you don't mind, could you let me know your results when they arrive, please?

Thank you. :wink:
For Europe, With Love.
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

BPS wrote: 05 Jan 2017, 03:40 One has to look at history, immigration patterns and wars.
The Romans were in Spain/Portugal (Iberian Peninsula). The Romans named Spain - Hispania.

I got 55% Italian/Greek and 11% Middle Eastern (mums family is from Calabria).

Have you ran it through DNA Land? :D
For Europe, With Love.
BPS

Post by BPS »

BrownEyedGirl wrote: 15 Jan 2017, 07:29 I got 55% Italian/Greek and 11% Middle Eastern (mums family is from Calabria).

[/quote]

Never heard of DNA land? I'll look into it now. Thank you.
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

BPS wrote: 19 Jan 2017, 23:14
BrownEyedGirl wrote: 15 Jan 2017, 07:29 I got 55% Italian/Greek and 11% Middle Eastern (mums family is from Calabria).

Never heard of DNA land? I'll look into it now. Thank you.
[/quote]

I hope you like it. It classifies things a bit differently. It's more specific with Italian than Ancestry. Ancestry groups it as Italian/Greek and DNA Land specifically tells you North, South, Sicily West, Sicily East, etc. And it's more specific on the percentages. Ancestry said I had trace Caucus but DNA Land didn't pick up "trace" elements at all. It just had my DNA as 100 percent European.
For Europe, With Love.
arbinr1b

Post by arbinr1b »

My dna land results are from Tuscany to Bergamo 95%, Sardinia 3% 0% Sicilian and 2 percent not know. 100 % Indo-European.
Mom is from N Italy(haplogroup h1a3a Scandinavian) dad N Spain (haplogroups r-d27 celtiberia).
Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Italia1963 »

I also submitted my Ancestry.com DNA information to DNA.Land, and I think Ancestry.com seems to be a bit more believable. Under Ancestry.com, I went from Italian/Slavic (which makes sense) to Balkans/Iberian under DNA.Land. I think Ancestry.com has a wider group of submissions so they can more accurately determine your genetic makeup than DNA.Land.
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Italia1963 - Didn't DNALand break down your Italian ancestry? It's been very specific on the break down for myself and others as to where in Italy your DNA is from. It shows Bergamo/Lombardy, Tuscany, Sardinia, Southern, East Sicily, West Sicily, etc. Because of that, I thought it would be helpful to those on this site. :)
For Europe, With Love.
datxcali
Veteran
Veteran

Post by datxcali »

If you guys can swing it, I recommend getting tested with 23andMe. They're known for their accurate breakdown.

The Italian side of my family (from my maternal grandfather) is from Messina, Sicily. I got 4% Italian, 5% Middle Eastern, 17% Broadly Southern European, 13% Balkan, and 0.1% Scandinavian.

From what I've read, Sicily was a melting pot and it's not uncommon to find a strange mixture of things from those that descend from this location.

Also, Iberian (Spanish) and Balkan (Greece) DNA seem to be very similar to that of Italian and can be difficult to distinguish from each other.
Palazzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Palazzo »

I completed my Ancestry DNA and the results are as follow:

Italian/Greece 41%, Europe West 42%, and Asia 8%. My genetic communities is Sicilian.

My question is DNA Land safe to upload data?

Thank you,
Janet
stellina13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stellina13 »

you should also upload to gedmatch (it's a free site and breaks down your results even further) I am waiting for my results but my husband (who was born in Palermo, Sicily) results are as follows:
-- 78% europe (73% italy/greek, 4% iberian peninsula, 1% european jewish)
--19% west asia ( 11% caucasus, 8% middle east)
-- 2% north africa
--less than 1% asia (primarily Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka etc)

when I uploaded his results to GEDMatch, the results were

Single Population Sharing:
# Population (source) Distance
1 East_Sicilian 3.47
2 Central_Greek 3.7
3 South_Italian 4.61
4 West_Sicilian 5.78
5 Italian_Abruzzo 6.25
6 Greek_Thessaly 8.91
7 Ashkenazi 8.98
8 Algerian_Jewish 10.96
9 Sephardic_Jewish 11.29
10 Tuscan 11.31
11 Italian_Jewish 11.49
12 Tunisian_Jewish 14.96
13 Libyan_Jewish 15.29
14 Cyprian 16.98
15 North_Italian 17.11
16 Bulgarian 17.35
17 Romanian 19.37
18 Lebanese_Muslim 20.34
19 Turkish 20.38
20 Syrian 21.24

is DNA land similar to gedmatch?
Nina

Researching Surnames: Paolini, Polidoro, Salutari, Musti and many others- Castelvecchio Subequo; L'Aquila Province.

my husband"s side - Cancellieri/e, Trapani, Giambanco, Ruggeri, and many others - Palermo & Carini, Sicily