Birth Records Trabia, Palermo, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Toma40

Birth Records Trabia, Palermo, Sicily

Post by Toma40 »

I am going to be reviewing FHL Intl Film Nascite 1872-1910 for Trabia, Palermo, Sicily. I have been told that it will be virtually impossible for me to find the person I am looking for since I don't speak or read italian. Can anyone offer any suggestions or helpful hints?

Thank You
Pamela T.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Birth Records Trabia, Palermo, Sicily

Post by ricbru »

Dear Pamela,
since you don't read Italian, it is true, it will be difficult to read what is written on those records, with the old style, all written by hand.
It si difficult for me too that I'm Italian.
I suggest you to let us know what you are really looking for, give us any detail (census, manifest ship,etc)
We are rady to help you, bye Riccardo
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

You may find this helpful, it is also printable.......
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
wldspirit
Toma40

Post by Toma40 »

Ricardo:

I am looking for the birth record for my great grandfather, Michele Tomasello, born in Trabia, Palermo, Sicily on November 2, 1878/1879. I was able to find his name on the ship's passenger list in 1893, when he was 15 years old, sailing for the US. I do not know the name of either his Mother or Father, and it is not know whether he had any brothers or sisters.

Thank you for your help!

Pamela T.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Toma40 wrote:Ricardo:

I am looking for the birth record for my great grandfather, Michele Tomasello, born in Trabia, Palermo, Sicily on November 2, 1878/1879. I was able to find his name on the ship's passenger list in 1893, when he was 15 years old, sailing for the US. I do not know the name of either his Mother or Father, and it is not know whether he had any brothers or sisters.

Thank you for your help!

Pamela T.
Pamela,
listen to me: you can make request of his birth certificate (certificato di nascita), written in italian, including an envelope and a international reply coupon, that you can buy to any US post office.
This is the address

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Spalla, 21
90019 Trabia (PA)
Italy

At the same address you can request, after you find his parents names, the "Certificato storico di famiglia" (family history certificate) about his parents

on the certificato di nascita there are written the names of his parents;

or you can rent directly the microfilm, and you can read the copy of the original birth act, and you may find if he had any brother or sister born to Trabia
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sazzlynn »

Toma40 wrote:I have been told that it will be virtually impossible for me to find the person I am looking for since I don't speak or read italian.

I don't agree with whoever told you that. I also don't read or speak Italian but I have located many records on microfilm. Many records are a printed form with personal information written in. Even the hand wriitten records will follow the same format.
The records are arranged by year and will frequently have an index at the end of the book.
Records will often have the individual's name written on the margin of the page.
My advice would be to use the word list from the above link and study the handwriting on the records to familiarize yourself with the style of the recorder. Have patience! My 1st birth record took me 2 months to decipher and now I can quickly pick out the needed information. Good luck.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

...I have been told that it will be virtually impossible for me to find the person I am looking for since I don't speak or read italian. Can anyone offer any suggestions or helpful hints?
Thank You
Pamela T.

Pamela.
sazzlyn is quite right, and in addition to her advice there are plenty of people on this forum who are able to help/guide you. Both with your research and with understanding or translating the Italian language.

One word of advice though - be careful if you choose to use an electronic translation service. There are several that are not very accurate, and can, in certain circumstances be difficult to understand. In some cases this 'translated' information can even be misleading.

Elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Toma40

Post by Toma40 »

Thanks to all of you, elba, sazzlyn, ricbru & wldspirit for the advice. I did get to view the film yesterday, and every one of you were correct. After several hours of looking it over, it became somewhat decipherable. The most useful info had come from the website suggested by wldspirit that provided an actual birth document sample, translated into English. I printed that form and took it with me - used it to fill in the blanks. The biggest problem, however, was that I was unable to read much of the handwritten language on the document. I think that when you speak the language, and you see 3 or 4 recognizable letters, you are then able to logically put together the rest of the word/letters even if they are not clear. I was not able to do this. BUT, I did find the Birth record I was looking for, I did find the names of my Great-Grandfather's parents and that is practically a miracle in itself!! Now, I will go ahead and obtain an actual copy of the record, and request the family history certificate suggested by ricbru. I plan to go back and review the film again, since I now understand it's organization with name index at the end of each year, and look for sibilings. This is so exciting - as I have been able to find this information after the entire family has not been able to find anything for the last 50 years!!!! I just LOVE genealogy!!
corielind

Post by corielind »

Toma40 - Who are the parents of your Michele Tomasello? I am descended from Antonina Tomasello and have been researching the Tomasello name in the Trabia birth records. There are actually two Tomasello lines that are in my tree. Maybe we can find a connection.
Corie
Toma40

Post by Toma40 »

Hi Corie: If you will notice my posts are from several years ago, and I have since found much more info on my family than before. My Great Grandfther, Michele Tomasello, was the son of Michele Tomasello and Alfonsa D'Anna. Alfonsa D'Anna was the daughter of Antonino D'Anna and Francesca Tomasello (getting confusing?) - and Alfonsa's husband Michele was the son of Michele Tomasello and Concetta LoBianco. That is as far back as I have been able to go - I do know that Alfonsa and Michele had a son named Antonino, who may have immigrated to the US (he would have been my Great Grandfather's brother - there were 7 children), but I have been unable to determine that if he did in fact come here. Let me know if you find a connection. I have more info on the D'Anna side of the family also. What are some of you family last names besides Tomasello?
corielind

Post by corielind »

Ah yes, I have seen your Tomasello's in my research, but haven't made a connection to them yet. I see Michele Tomasello, son of Michele and Concetta LoBianco born in 1848. Sister Rosalia b. in 1850, and another Rosalia born in 1855.
I'm looking for descendants of Giuseppe Tomasello & Saveria Caruso (b. 1764-1792) & desc of Michelangelo Tomasello (b. abt 1807) & Caterina Teresi (b. abt 1813).
Other surnames I'm researching in Trabia are Turturici, Sunzeri/Sunseri, Butera, Pirricone, Ignoffo/Ignosso, Arena. Navarra, Campisi, Piazza, Cancilla, Mannina.

Corie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a companion book for Italian microfilm records. The title is Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson. It might meet your needs since it was written with peoople like yourself in mind. =Peter=
~Peter~
HappyJack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HappyJack »

I am currently researching in Petralia Sottana. I would appreciate any info regarding this area. Thanx, Jack
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/18-petralia-sottana scroll down to Municipio for address to write to Uffico di Stato Civile for documents and to the right is the www.petraliasottana.net for tourist info. =Peter=
~Peter~
taurusbia

Post by taurusbia »

Hello! I know this is an old post, but I figured it's worth a shot...I also am researching the Tomasello family in Trabia. My 2nd great grandmother was Rose Tomasello. She married Giuseppe Lecce and they had 3 children who all came to the U.S. ROse never came. Her parents were Salvatori Tomasello B 1829? and Assuntae Cavarra B. 1833? Salvatori's parents were Rosario Tomasello B 1801? and Carmela Anastasi. Does this look familiar to anybody? I have very little info about my family in Trabia. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
B