The ones who stayed behind - translation help needed

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jspdg

The ones who stayed behind - translation help needed

Post by jspdg »

I have had great success researching my ancestry in the civil vital records on LDS FHL microfilm. The films cover the period 1809 to 1899 for the comuni of interest to me. One of the remaining gaps in my knowledge is the death dates of my ancestors whose grown children were the emigrants. In my ancestry, the old folks who stayed behind in Italy were typically born around 1840-1850, and most of my ancestors in that generation were apparently still alive after 1899 when the microfilms end.

I will be writing to the comuni to ask for a search of the records for their death acts. I don't speak Italian but have the standard text for such a letter from Trafford Cole's book.

However, just to narrow the search for the officials, I would like to add a sentence indicating "I believe my ancestor lived after 1899 in the comune of <xxx>, but I do not know the year of death".

Also, I would like to add a sentence stating parentage, since I know it already. How would I formally say "he was the son of …." or "She was the daughter of …"

Would greatly appreciate translation help.

Thanks

jspdg
Incipit
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The ones who stayed behind - translation help needed

Post by Incipit »

Hi,
I'll try to help you:

"I believe my ancestor lived after 1899 in the comune of <xxx>, but I do not know the year of death"
Credo che il mio antenato abbia vissuto dopo il 1899 nel comune di ..., ma non conosco l'anno della morte

"he was the son of …."
Era figlio di... (Tizio era figlio di Caio. He was born in... etc.)
or
figlio di... (Tizio, figlio di Caio, was born in... etc.)

"She was the daughter of …"
Era figlia di...
or
figlia di...

Regards
Tommaso
Incipit
Genealogical researches in Italy
www.incipitprato.com
jspdg

Re: The ones who stayed behind - translation help needed

Post by jspdg »

Tommaso -

Sincere thanks for helping me with this. :)

jspdg