dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
darmarnix

dual citizenship

Post by darmarnix »

:D Howdy folks, maybe I am reinventing the wheel here, let me know if I am getting this right. In order to process an application for dual citizenship in Italy, I must be able to: 1. Speak Italian; 2. Present documents showing that I have a male Italian citizen who is an ancestor (for me that would be my great grand father); 3. Submit to a test of some sort? E' giusto? Which documents do I need? Is this list complete: Certified copies of : 1. my birth certificate; 2. my parent's marriage license; 2. my mother's birth certificate; 3. my grandfather's birth certificate or baptismal record; 4. my great-grandfather's birth certificate or baptismal record. If the records from the U.S. are not in Italian, must they be translated? Grazie, Darlene :P
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: dual citizenship

Post by ricbru »

Here the web site that could be interesting for you

http://www.italconschicago.org/english/index.htm

bye Riccardo :lol:
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Darlene, I am not an expert obviously but I can say this with confidence.

1. You do not have to speak Italian to obtain dual citizenship.

2. Your ancestor who was an Italian citizen must not have become a citizen of the United States before the majority (which is 18 years of age) of his Italian born child. (the child you descend from)

3. If his child was born in the USA after the immigration of his father then this birth must have occurred previous to the immigrant becoming a citizen. A majority is not necessary in this case, the father could have been naturalized 1 minute after the birth and the child would be eligible.

4. Before 1948 it was not possible for a mother to pass Italian citizenship rights to her children in her own right. So if you were going through your mother, and were born before 1948 you are in-eligible. Likewise if she was born before 1948 she could not inherit citizenship rights from her mother. (her father of course could pass these rights to her)

If none of these apply you are absolutely eligible for Italian Juris-Sanguinis Dual Citizenship. Even if you there was an adoption in the line you can apply with likely success.

Hope I helped

Jim Bianco
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

darmarnix wrote::D Howdy folks, maybe I am reinventing the wheel here, let me know if I am getting this right. In order to process an application for dual citizenship in Italy, I must be able to: 1. Speak Italian; 2. Present documents showing that I have a male Italian citizen who is an ancestor (for me that would be my great grand father); 3. Submit to a test of some sort? E' giusto? Which documents do I need? Is this list complete: Certified copies of : 1. my birth certificate; 2. my parent's marriage license; 2. my mother's birth certificate; 3. my grandfather's birth certificate or baptismal record; 4. my great-grandfather's birth certificate or baptismal record. If the records from the U.S. are not in Italian, must they be translated? Grazie, Darlene :P
Here is the link for the Italian Embassy in the USA concerning Citizenship. It starts in Italian, but 'scroll down' and it is in English. Hope it is of some use to you.

http://www.italyemb.org/Cittadinanza.htm

Elba.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Damiano

Post by Damiano »

hello Darlene,

I don't know much but I am happy to share what I do know.
I am also in the process at obtaining dual citizenship.
I have had a few interviews with the italian consulate.
from what I know everything that jim Bianco said is exact.

Essentially, you must link yourself to your direct ancestor (greatgrand father), via certified documents (birth, death, & marriage certificates, and naturalization records). when you are getting the documents make sure to tell them you need for official use, for a consulate, because otherwise the consulate will not accept it.

when getting b.c. , d.c. or an m.c. you must first have it "legalized",
then to the city or state clerk they will "certify" it and third you get an "apostille". you need these things for each document that you get. Don't worry about the translating the Italian Consulate in the US will do that for you.

hope this helps
Damiano