Di Genova surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Di Genova surname

Post by crossl »

Hi, I'm interested in starting a family tree. My family came from Casacalenda, pro. di Campobasso. Family name is Di Genova, any suggestions as to where to start?

Thanks
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Di Genova surname

Post by brujaojos »

crossl wrote:Hi, I'm interested in starting a family tree. My family came from Casacalenda, pro. di Campobasso. Family name is Di Genova, any suggestions as to where to start?

Thanks
Hi There,

I just did research for a gentleman whose family is also from Casacalenda.
He has surnames as DiGirolamo, Pietrantonio, Caruso, Miozza, Montagano, Masciotti.

The microfilms from the Family History Center are fantastic. Here is the link for the film numbers.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

The films cost about $5.57 a roll depending on your location. The film is in great shape too. And on the film, you can find Birth, Marriage, and Death Acts of your ancestors.

Here is a link to find the nearest Family Hsitory Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

You start with what you know as fact and then work backwards. The records for Casacalenda, as Trish pointed out, are on microfilm.

If you can give me the first and last names of the people you are interested in, I will check the films I have on permanent loan at the FHL library branch near to me. My family also came from Casacalenda and I have all the birth records, most of the death records and a lot of marriage records. I would be happy to help you start finding information.

Let me know and I will check at the Library on Tuesday. I will find what I can and then you can rent other films that you might need. Provide first and last names, maiden names if you know, anything that will get them back before 1900...then we can start looking. Lots of information in those films.

Be glad to help all I can................

Susan
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Thanks Susan, I was born in Casacalenda myself but my family left when I was 9. My name is Franco Di Genova, my father was Domenico-born 1907,my mother Concetta (Campestri-maiden name)-born 1909. My grandfather was Vincenzo Di Genova-born about 1873 in casacalenda. I am trying to research the Di Genova name as far back in Casacalenda as I can. I really apprecciate your help. What was your family name in Casacalenda?

Thanks again
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi......

I will check on Tuesday. Can get back at least to early 1800's. After that, you will have to get the Church records. But let's see what we can find first.

I am so happy to meet people from there. Maybe we will find some sort of links in the past.

My family left there in 1884... My great grandfather was a Miozza. His mother was a Trotta. Other names are Vincelli, Biello, Tavone. My great grandmother came from Ripabottoni...which is close by. Most of the family appearred to be stone masons. They settled in Massachusetts.

I will get back to you mid week and let you know how things are going. Since you come from there, no doubt you will have no problem reading the records once you get a hold of them. It helps!

Have a great one, Susan
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

brujaojos wrote:
crossl wrote:Hi, I'm interested in starting a family tree. My family came from Casacalenda, pro. di Campobasso. Family name is Di Genova, any suggestions as to where to start?

Thanks
Hi There,

I just did research for a gentleman whose family is also from Casacalenda.
He has surnames as DiGirolamo, Pietrantonio, Caruso, Miozza, Montagano, Masciotti.

The microfilms from the Family History Center are fantastic. Here is the link for the film numbers.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

The films cost about $5.57 a roll depending on your location. The film is in great shape too. And on the film, you can find Birth, Marriage, and Death Acts of your ancestors.

Here is a link to find the nearest Family Hsitory Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

I hope this helps,
Trish
Hello,
you can also request a plurilingual birth certificate of your ancestor to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Corso Roma 78 -
86043 Casacalenda (CB)
Italy

comune.casacalenda@tiscali.it

or just request the copy of civil record to

Archivio di Stato di Campobasso

I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo :lol:
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Franco.......

For some reason, this was more complicated then I thought it should be.

Vincenzo di Genova was born on 29 March 1874 to Michele di Genova, son of Giovanni (who is dead) and at the age of 32. His mother is Maria Rosa Iannidinardo, who is the daughter of Vincenzo (who is dead also). Stated that he married Maria Scisente in Casacalenda on 20 Feb, 1896.

Michele di Genova was born to Giovanni di Genova, son of Francesco. Giovanni was 46 at Michele's birth. His mother was Maria Teresa Lanciano, aged 40. He was born on 28 Jan 1842.

As you can see from above, Giovanni di Genova was born before the Civil Records were kept...about 1796. So impossible to see the birth record. I checked the death index and he appears to have died in 1865...only problem being that I have the death records of 1865, but it is continued on another microfilm that only contains about 5 months of 1865 and it is one I don't have. I have 1866 because it is another microfilm altogether. Never knew it was missing because I never looked at info on that half of 1865. I will order the film and get the info on Vincenzo to you at that time.

Maria Rosa Iannidinardo was born 4 Sept 1841 to Vincezo Iannidinardo, age 33 and Angela Maria diRuberti, age 30.

There is another son, Giovanni Antonio diGenova, born 26 June 1868 to Michele and Maria Rosa. He married Maria Emanuela Torelli in Casacalenda 0n 2 June 1892.

There is a name: Iannilonardo that is listed in the records as well as Iannidinardo. In one record, Vincenzo is listed as Iannilonardo...but in most he is listed as Iannidinardo. Gets confusing.

Anyway.....will see what else I can find later this week.

The records are available on microfilm as well. You can go to www.familysearch.org and check the holdings. Since you speak the language, it should not be a problem for you to read the records. Sometimes the handwriting is difficult, but with patience, they can be read. I can make copies of the records should you wish to have them. Just let me know.

Back later when I get more.... Have a great one, Susan
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Hi Susan, I'm not sure we have the right Vincenzo. I checked with my older brothers and they tell me his full name is Marco Vincenzo Di Genova, born Mar. 17, 1873. His fathers name is believed to be Giuseppe Di Genova and Giuseppe's wife was probably named Rosa. Marco Vincenzo's wife was Fortunata Pietrantonio who born about 1876. Also Marco Vincenzo's grandfather was probably named Maurizio.

If you could check this out when you have time would be very appreciated.

Also Susan, what is your connection to the Vincelli family. The are related on my grandmothers side. We believe she was a sister to my grandmother.

There is also an interesting connection with my grandfather on my mothers side. Small world.

Thanks again Susan and I'll eagerly await your findings.
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Sorry Susan, Marco Vincenzo birth should read Mar. 7, 1873.
thanks
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Well, that will make a difference! Will check it out...library not open tomorrow but should have something by the end of the week. There were a lot of diGenova names, so this should at least lead us to the right one!

Back later......