Looking for POW's son from WW II- father was italain

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 02 Feb 2009, 18:43
Location: GLENSIDE, PA, USA

Looking for POW's son from WW II- father was italain

Post by MarieJosephine »

I am giving this another try. Back in February 0f 2009 I was trying to find my father's son. He was a Italian POW in World War II and captured in Africa, in Tubruk and Libya and later taken to a camp in England. He never talked about the child, but growing up there was always a photo of this child. In his later years I learned that he had met a woman either called Hilda or Ida, Ada.... at this camp. All I know is that this woman worked there on a farm or estate and had a husband of her own who was at war. My father had an affair during that time. This child is certainly very old by now, probably in their 60's. The only item I have to go on is the old photo with some writing which refers to Well Pond Green. I had posted the picture on my previous postings years ago. I hit a dead end and stopped looking. I do have the information from the Red Cross which I did receive showing all the places he was held during the war.

If anyone is looking for their father, grandfather please contact me.

Thanks
User avatar
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 02 Feb 2009, 18:43
Location: GLENSIDE, PA, USA

Re: Looking for POW's son from WW II- father was italain

Post by MarieJosephine »

I wanted to add to my last post about searching for the my father's son from World War II. As I understand the woman had a husband I believe, she kept my father's son and was raised by the other man (I guess her husband). When the war was over, my father went back to Italy and soon after met my mother and married and moved to the United States.
Twinklyvix
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 23:35

Re: Looking for POW's son from WW II- father was italain

Post by Twinklyvix »

Hello....this is a really long shot as my grandfather who was an Italian POW was based in Yorkshire. He met my Grandmother Ada Steggall who gave birth to my dad Michael Steggall on 15th June 1945 (he's 72). Ada was married to Leonard who was away at war. She already had a 6 year old daughter Iris. My dad however was adopted in November 1945, so think it is unlikely from your story, but not impossible.....
Post Reply