USCIS Genealogy Index Request - Wait Time..

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
London82
Elite
Elite

Re: USCIS Genealogy Index Request - Wait Time..

Post by London82 »

Datxcali how long did it take to be completed once it was updated to FOIA?
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ffusiak »

USCIS Genealogy Program Improvements Announced
The following is an announcement from the U.S. government’s Citizenship and Immigration Services:

To improve efficiency and decrease wait times for USCIS Genealogy Program customers, processing of USCIS genealogy requests will transition from Washington, D.C., to the USCIS National Records Center in Lee’s Summit, Missouri.

The transition will occur between Oct. 1, 2017, and Jan. 1, 2018. There will be no change to how customers submit requests or receive responses. Other than improved service, customers should not notice any difference in the process.

Find answers to questions about the USCIS Genealogy Program transition at www.uscis.gov/genealogy
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

ffusiak wrote: 04 Oct 2017, 13:15 To improve efficiency and decrease wait times for USCIS Genealogy Program customers, processing of USCIS genealogy requests will transition from Washington, D.C., to the USCIS National Records Center in Lee’s Summit, Missouri.

The transition will occur between Oct. 1, 2017, and Jan. 1, 2018. There will be no change to how customers submit requests or receive responses. Other than improved service, customers should not notice any difference in the process.
One huge way to improve service would be to hire sufficient staff to actually perform customer interaction.

Specifically, the setup would need to change such that that calls are not automatically shunted to Voicemail (there is currently no way to connect to an operator when calling their number), and that E-mail does not simply generate an auto-reply without requiring someone at USCIS to follow up on that auto-reply.

Without that, I fail to see how service will improve. At the moment USCIS operates in effective isolation from the outside world. There is no customer service accountability mechanism present.

BTW, the announcement quoted above is not (yet) on the USCIS web site.
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

I've also made a formal complaint..
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

Today 10/19/17 I received a disc in the postal mail from USCIS which was in response to my postal Naturalization record request.
The disc had horrible copy scans of my great grandfather's naturalization certificate, declaration and petition.
The copies are so bad you can hardly read them.

My electronic internet request is still pending FOIA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

London82 wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 00:22 The disc had horrible copy scans of my great grandfather's naturalization certificate, declaration and petition.
Let me guess.. the scans are also marked, "Best Reproducible Copy Available"? :-/
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

YES!!! lol
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

This is the copy of the Certificate of Citizenship USCIS provided. I hope it's not going to cause a problem with me getting approved for my dual citizenship being it's not readable when I meet with the Italian Consulate General..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

The first image is the "Best Reproducible Copy Available" from USCIS, taken from a duplicate.

The second image is the same document as provided by NARA, taken from the original. Note the better quality and the lack of gratuitous redacting.
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

VOTM,

I received the same quality documents from USCIS (Horrible, not readable) and
excellent copies like you from NARA! USCIS needs to get it together!!! Making us pay $65.00 for this crap!!

Stephanie