Palombella Family

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Palombella Family

Post by mahart »

I am trying to find information regarding my ancestors. Saverio & Maurangelo (Angelo) Palombella. They arrived in Liverpool, England between 1875 and 1881. Both mariners and both appear on some uk civil records. But I have not been able to establish what part of Italy they came from. There are conflicting family stories suggesting they came from Verona and another claiming they came from Naples. The surname distribution is most concentrated in the Puglia region. My knowledge of Italian lanquage and archives is limited. Can someone shove me in the right direction please.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Palombella Family

Post by nuccia »

Hi mahart,

From everything I've been looking at, the majority of Palombella's came mainly from Bari region. Do you think people meant that they sailed from Napoli area? I could be way off base with this one and perhaps someone else has some different idea but I'd thought I'd post anyway.

Nuccia :)
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Again,

I did find this however but I don't know if it means anything to you.

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1983 Recordinfo
about Maurangelo Palombella
Name: Maurangelo Palombella
Year of Registration: 1878
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Liverpool (1837-1924)
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 244a (click to see others on page)

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1983 Recordinfo
about Saverio Palombella
Name: Saverio Palombella
Year of Registration: 1882
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: West Derby
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 555 (click to see others on page)

Nuccia :D
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
since the last name of Palombella is from Bari province, I suggest you to contact Archivio di Stato di Bariand request a research on the alphabetical index of military records of draft card about Saverio and Maurangelo,
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Thankyou both Nuccia and Riccardo for your suggestions and information. I have seen the marriage records and even found Saverio on the 1891 and 1901 census returns, which do have many errors in the information but that is to be expected for these type of records. The only problem is that the census records state Italian subject but no region is recorded. I think my best course of action is initially to concentrate on Bari so thanks for the address. The irony of it all is the fact they were both mariners and came to Liverpool in the 19th century, which was then one of the biggest ports in the world, and guess what I work for the national museum and I am based at Liverpool maritime museum but the crew lists and passenger lists are not held there. Just when you think your getting a lucky break. :roll:
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark
MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MauroMags »

The surname Palombella is common in Molfetta (Provincia di Bari). Beginning your search there might be a good start.

Its Just a thought
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

MauroMags wrote:The surname Palombella is common in Molfetta (Provincia di Bari). Beginning your search there might be a good start.

Its Just a thought
Thanks, it would make sense to start searching in Molfetta if the name is common in that area.

Mark
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Can I send a request to the Archivio di Stato di Bari in English? if not can anyone recomend a good online translator

Mark
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The online translations are not 100% effective..............you can post the letter you wish to send for a translation here, or you can use one of the standard letters available at this link............

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... talian.ASP

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

http://italiangenealogy.atspace.com/ita ... tters.html

wldspirit
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

wldspirit wrote:The online translations are not 100% effective..............you can post the letter you wish to send for a translation here, or you can use one of the standard letters available at this link............

http//www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/RG/fram ... talian.ASP

http//www.circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/index.asp

http//italiangenealogy.atspace.com/italian-form-letters.html

wldspirit
Thankyou very much for this information, it will make life easier.

Mark
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Happy to help.
wldspirit
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hello,

I have complied a request in English for requesting my ancestors military draft records from the Archivio di Stato di Bari below. Please could someone translate this for me into Italian? I would be eternally grateful.
One other question can you enquire with this request by email or do you have to request by mail?

'Dear Gentlemen,

My name is Mark Hart and I live in Liverpool, England at the above stated address. I am searching for information regarding two of my ancestors: Saverio and Maurangelo (Angelo) Palombella, who I believe to be of this region. Saverio was born about 1860 and Maurangelo was born about 1854. I would like to request of you to consult the alphabetical index of military records of draft cards for both Saverio and Maurangelo Palombella. Further to this I would be very grateful to you the information could be mailed to me at the above address.
I thank you beforehand for your kindness and efficiency, and I ask you to charge me for the postal expenses and for the information.
Yours Sincerely.
M.A. Hart '

Mark
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

post deleted
danpalombella

Post by danpalombella »

Hi Mark,

Did you ever find any more information on this?

Id love to see what information you have found.
danpalombella

Post by danpalombella »

apologies, just seen this was over a year ago!