Exploring ancestors towns in Calabria, guidance requested (Montalto Uffugo, San Vincenzo La Costa, San Fili)

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
xlphillips

Exploring ancestors towns in Calabria, guidance requested (Montalto Uffugo, San Vincenzo La Costa, San Fili)

Post by xlphillips »

I am going to Calabria for the first time, in March. I want to find as much about my family history as possible, and explore the area. The genealogist I am working with has ordered films, to be kept at her local family history center, and we hope to have them in 2 weeks. That will give me a lot more info.

In the meantime, I would like some guidance here on what I should see and do in my ancestors "known" towns, besides just being a tourist. I am taking Italian language courses, so will be able to converse a little.

The 3 towns:
1) San Vincenzo La Costa. Montalto Uffugo, Cosenza, Calabria.
2) San Fili
3) Montalto Uffugo

Here is some data we have:
SIAS Code IT-ASCS- F680779

Municipality of MONTALTO UFFUGO. Volume number 46, document number 141 page -
Gennaro Filippo born on 30/10/1853
son/daughter of Francesco Filippo, bracciale and of Pasqualina Salerno

I also found Gennaro in the Lista di Leva

SIAS Code IT-ASCS- F680258

Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1853.Volume number 23,
document number - page 18 section -
Gennaro Filippo, enlisted on -- /-- /-- --
born on -- /-- /1853 to SAN VINCENZO
son/daughter of Francesco Filippo and of Pasqualina Salerno
Link to actual document: http://a.imageshack.us/img62/1301/1853h.jpg

This record indicates his birth place as San Vincenzo.
I believe this is referring to San Vincenzo La Costa. Montalto Uffugo, Cosenza, Calabria.

Thanks!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Exploring ancestors towns in Calabria, guidance requested (Montalto Uffugo, San Vincenzo La Costa, San Fili)

Post by adelfio »

1840 Jan 3rd in the town of Montalto Uffugo marriage of Francesco Filippo son of Pasquale Filippo and Innocenza De Buono married Pasquala Maria Salerno daughter of Vincenzo Salerno and Rosaria Salerno

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
Attachments
franceco.jpg
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
marcotoscano

Re: Exploring ancestors towns in Calabria, guidance requested (Montalto Uffugo, San Vincenzo La Costa, San Fili)

Post by marcotoscano »

Hi !
My name is Marco and I'm a professional genealogist Calabria based.
I live and work in Cosenza, very close to Montalto Uffugo, San Fili and San Vincenzo la Cost. I aim to be your guide in March....I can find many records about your family before your arrival in Italy....I can also search all your alive relatives/descendats in the abovementioned towns. I can plan for you an ancestry tour including: Research of "native and living home" of ancestors, pick-up service with private driver, illustred family tree, Visit churches, cemeteries and ancient palazzi from your grandparents’ past.
Let me know if you are interested.....
fdann

Post by fdann »

Hi Marco, I am trying to find information on my husbands great grandfather. The story was that he came from San Fili, Cosenza to the United States as a teenager and a stowaway in 1881 or 1882. He changed his name from ___ Bruno to Charles Dann. I requested a birth certificate for a Bruno born 20 Jan 1867 and they sent one for a Francesco Bruno born that date in San Fili. It shows his father to be Giuseppe Bruno and his mother to be Concetta Palermo. I can find them on ancestry.com but not much on Francesco. Where do you suggest I go from here. I want to know if Francesco and Charles are the same person. Did Francesco leave Italy around 1881-82? Thank you, Fran Dann
mariah2019

Post by mariah2019 »

Hi , I dont want to hijack this post :). Who can I talk with about tracing records of my grandparents in Cosenza. I dont have much information. But would like some suggestion to go about looking. I will be going to Cosenza this summer and would like to try to get some information.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Have tons of info branches and connections in canada usa and Italy. My mom was a Calomino.
All my branches have roots in villages between san VINCENZO la Costa and Montalto uffugo, cosenza.
Williing to share files to your personal email.
My email is Glen8626@gmail.com

Hope you get this not sure how site works contacts.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

mariah2019 wrote: 05 May 2018, 18:20 Hi , I dont want to hijack this post :). Who can I talk with about tracing records of my grandparents in Cosenza. I dont have much information. But would like some suggestion to go about looking. I will be going to Cosenza this summer and would like to try to get some information.
Our researcher in the Cosenza area tells me that the State Archives in Cosenza is very difficult to work with and I doubt their records will be uploaded to the antenati site any time soon. Family Search has copies.
Anything after 1865 you should write to the town itself.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.