Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Thanks for that tidbit- I didn't know about that custom. That helps.
Sharon
Biff83 wrote:
AmbroseSimone wrote:Maybe I am confusing myself--- her occupation is listed as housewife -- that makes me think she was married but wondering why her last name would be Iro and not Simone?
Sharon
Her maritial status is shown as single. Even if she were married, she would be travelling under her maiden name. It was and still is the custom in Italy for women to use their maiden name on documents.
Thanks to a good friend, here's the second page of Basilia Iro's manifest, line 7
Destination: Cleveland to join cousin Basilio Simone at 1608 Orange Ave Page 2
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Great!! Thank you and please thank your good friend! I am very happy that I found this website just last night. It has been very helpful. All the posts have been greatly appreciated and will help to fill in some blanks. Then on to the next generation back..... which I am sure all of you understand.
Thanks!
Sharon
Biff83 wrote:Thanks to a good friend, here's the second page of Basilia Iro's manifest, line 7
Destination: Cleveland to join cousin Basilio Simone at 1608 Orange Ave Page 2
November 2nd is All Souls' Day,a Catholic feast dedicated to the memorial of the dead which, according to tradition, can be dated back to ancient times. This day, in almost every country, the dead are remembered with different rituals and customs, yet the aim is just one: give some consolation to th...