Birth Cert Translation
Birth Cert Translation
My Grandmother was born April 12, 1888 in Gioiosa Ionica. She was adopted at some point by the Simeri family. She married Vincenzo Agostino and emigrated to join with him in the US, in 1912. The name on her Ellis Island manifest is Maria Rosa Prudente. I understand that sometimes adoptees were given different last names by the Church. In any case, I have never found her birth certificate. While looking at Civil Records, I came upon this birth cert. The name in the margin is Marianna Sabatino, but with my primitive Italian, I think that the name of the child is Maria Rosa. I would greatly appreciate a translation of the cert. Suggestions about where else to search would also be welcomed. Thank You!
Re: Birth Cert Translation
Maria Rosa Sabatino is declared born 12 April 1888 at 10.20pm to Rocco Vincenzo Sabatino, age 46, con??? (can't read), and Marianna Geraci, of Francesco, cotton spinner.
yes,the name in margin is marianna, but on document, child is given the name maria rosa.
yes,the name in margin is marianna, but on document, child is given the name maria rosa.
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
Re: Birth Cert Translation
Thank you! Do you think that the name in the margin was a mistake or by design? Usually, it is the newborn, no?
Re: Birth Cert Translation
my best guess is that it might have been a mixup b/c mother's name is marianna...but......that is only a guess.
donna
donna
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/

