Woman's name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Chocopies
Rookie
Rookie

Woman's name

Post by Chocopies »

Hello, I am having trouble figuring out my ancestor's name. I have attached some samples that all read 'Cara dia' I think. Is that actually her name? Or, is it an abbreviation for two parts of her name (like 'Caterina Domenica' or a nickname)?

Finally, I attached a baptism of a "Cardinella" or "Catrinella" Prestimone. Her name is on the 6th line from the top. She is the only one that's even close to being born in the right range of years whose name starts with a 'C'. Is this the same name as the woman's above? Thank you for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chocopies
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Woman's name

Post by Chocopies »

sample 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chocopies
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chocopies »

Sample 3
Chocopies
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chocopies »

sample 4
Chocopies
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chocopies »

baptism of a C__? Prestimuni <-- name on 6th line
brogie62
Elite
Elite

Post by brogie62 »

That last one looks like a very old record 16th-17th century? Common to see -ella or -nella as a suffix on a female's name
Places: Jaci, Palazzolo Acreide, Pedara, Trecastagni
Names: Fisichella, Gangemi, Miano, Moscuzza, Smriglio, Torrisi, Valvo
Chocopies
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chocopies »

brogie62 wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 03:42 That last one looks like a very old record 16th-17th century? Common to see -ella or -nella as a suffix on a female's name
Yes, you are correct, it's from 1553. The child's name definitely ends in 'inella'. I was just wondering if anyone could explain what 'Cara dia' is and whether it's also the name in the baptism record. The baptism record likely reads 'catrinella' for Caterina. The 'r' is just a bit strange; almost like a 'd'.

Also, 'Caradia' just seems a bit strange for a name. I have a Cardonia/Caradonia in my family too! Thanks for your help!