Catasti Onciari

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lola66

Catasti Onciari

Post by lola66 »

Has anyone had any luck getting copies of the Catasti for their town? I would like any feedback on your experiences, how long it took for a response, etc. I have requested a quote from the Archives at Naples and have yet to receive a response.....
trevisan2
Master
Master

Re: Catasti Onciari

Post by trevisan2 »

Italian civil records date back to 1871 and are available at the township level. my experience is that they do not do any photo copies, but will write the info down for you with coaching. Anything earlier are found at the parish level. Some priests will help and others will throw your letter in the trash. Good luck.

travisan2
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

In Italy most civil records in the once Kingdomof the two Sicilies date back to 1809 while in the north of Italy some comunes had civil records earlier, later or not at all until unification of Italy in 1872. Just to keep the information correct. Peter
jdipardo

Post by jdipardo »

Hi Lola,

Couple things to keep in mind when dealing with Naples and the Catasti. Naples is the central archives for that region, they have tens of thousands of historic manuscripts not just the individual censuses from the towns. Many of these "books" are deteriorating and are in the restoration process. The Italian Government does not allocate funds for this project and the staff is limited. Keep in mind that there are literally thousands of requests a year for these censuses, and like the US archives, are addressed in the order recieved. It may take several years to get a reply just by depending on an archive staff to respond to you, that is if your original request was not forgotten. Its always a good idea to send multiple requests (1 a month) make sure they are addressed correctly and also they will not respond if the request is not written in Italian. It is also possible to call the Archives directly, but again, you or the person calling will be required to speak in Italian.

My last quote came to about .72 cents a page copied to microfilm. The drawback is that they tend to only copy entire books. So for the book alone expect to pay at least 250-300 euro. A quicker way is to hire an on site genealogist. They will typically copy just the pages referring to the individual family, but they also tend to want you to pay for the trip as well as room and board while there (or a portion of it if they are working multiple clients). The archives are open to the public, so your best chance (and probably cheapest) is if you ever take a trip to Italy, allow a day or two in Naples and view the books personally. The books are written in a mix of dialect and latin or some instances just latin. Be prepared for that.

Good luck with your project, the Catasti IMHO is the next most important set of documents working backwards once you finish the LDS microfilms. Instead of depending on individual church records The Catasti tie the information left by the LDS micofilms into a single set of pages. For example. I finished with the LDS microfilms, but because of wedding contracts from 1809 to 1820, I had many loose ends for births and deaths that took me into the early to mid 1700's, 4 males and 3 females, the earliest being 1719. I had extracted over 250 names from the LDS films and condensed them into 3 family trees. I did not know the relation of the 3 root men until the Catasti from 1742 and was able to see that they were father and 2 sons. The other 4 were brothers and sisters.

On a last note. The mid 1700 catasti is not the only census, there were many others that will take you back further so if you ever do take that trip to naples, keep that in mind.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

What may also be of interest to you is www.onciari.net which features the Kingdom of the Two Naples 1741 and broken down by the then regions/provinces. There is a place to search for surnames as an added kicker. Happy New year. Peter
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vineviz »

I wanted to bring this back to the top.

I'd like to get to Naples to review the Catasti myself, but won't be able to do so until mid-2006. Can anyone recommend a service or researcher that might get me a crack at these documents a little sooner?

Thanks.

Vince
jspdg

Post by jspdg »

I'm bringing this back to the top again.

Consulting the Catasti Onciari for one or more communes around the city of Avellino would be the next logical step for me in my research.

Vince, did you ever find anyone to help in this regard?

Does anyone else have recent experiences with requesting microfilm copies of the Catasti from the archives in Napoli?

jspdg
_________
Researching numerous surnames in the communes of Atripalda, Avellino, Cesinali, Manocalzati, Santo Stefano del Sole, Tavernola San Felice
madelaine

Post by madelaine »

Hi, I"m going to Archivio del stato a NAPOLI in a week. When i get back i will tell you all of my adventures.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

madelaine,

Are you taking orders???????

:)
madelaine

Post by madelaine »

No promises. I do have time there, but it might be taken up by my own towns.
Since i've never been there; i'm just not sure.
But tell me what you have, you must tell me by Wednesday April 26, 2006
or it will be too late.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi madelaine,

Thanks for your response & offer. I was "kinda" kidding when I posted.

What I'm looking for is availability & cost for the catasti onciari for the comune of San Vitaliano, formerly San Vitagliano, but I can send email for that information.

Good luck in your research & have a safe & enjoyable trip.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Madelaine,

Oops!....should have checked my post on this topic before above reply.

translation:
Desidero conoscere la disponibilità, il costo e informazioni sulle modalità di pagamento per ottenere copie dei Catasti Onciari del comune di San Vitaliano, formalmente chiamato San Vitagliano

p.s.jcsm, I would like to let you know that people working to Archivio di Stato di Napoli are lazy, and I had to phone call them several times because the woman in charge (almost going to pension) is not able to use internet and computer.
I found really hard situation to work with them.
I wish you good luck
bye Riccardo

I not a feeling email is going to be a waste of time, but will try it. Would also appreciate you checking at archive for this info if you have the time.

Many thanks.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
madelaine

Post by madelaine »

Riccardo?
I will find out how it all works. Do you know what your town was called when they did that survey?
tell me where it is, that helps too. Have you
gone to this website?

http://www.italyworldclub.com/genealogy/catasti.htm

get the name of the region and town and year from here.
I will take that with me and find out what i can.
i will be back right after mother's day.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Madeliane,

Sorry..... That was riccardo's reply to me, jcsm.

San Vitaliano, Napoli, Campania, Italy. Name changed many, many moons ago from San Vitagliano which would be the name of comune for the census.

I really appreciate your assistance. Thanks.
madelaine

Post by madelaine »

okay JCSM
if you want to get in touch with me another way, my url is
http://www.sersale.org
i've written the name down.

m