Grandfather

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Grandfather

Post by Last »

Hi, I researched Ellis Island to see when my Grandfather came to America.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2608120038&

The other information I have is a copy of thr ceclaration if intention that state he came to America on March 16, 1902.

The petition of Naturalization said he left Naples on February 28, 1902.
He was born in Mount Foresco, Italy on August 16 or 26, 1879.

The point to all this is I ordered the manifest from Ellis Island and it said he came in on the she The Lombardia on February 5, 2003. When it arrived I had to call the customer serviced department to ask a question. The representative said she noticed my grandfathers name was crossed out. She said that sometimes when you see that the person never got on the ship. Here I thought I had the documentation on him and I may not. I tried to search for him and can't locate him anywhere else.

I need help to see if I have the correct information.

If you need any additional information I may have it.

Thank you
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Grandfather

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Last,

Is this the correct family on 1910 census?

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3374 ... 9101tq.jpg

His WWI Draft Card?

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/7918 ... ard5gd.jpg
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

You need a manifest for ALESSANDRO PARENTE/I
birthdate of AUGUST 16/26, 1879
immigration about 1902.......

Did his wife immigrate as well? Do you know if he had any family members who may have immigrated?

wldspirit
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Hi Yes this is his family in the 1910 Census :D
I had no clue he had registered for the Draft 8O
It isn't to clear though....

He was from what I was told he was married in America. I went to our Luzerne County court house and found he was married on October 20, 1904.

This is great information you have provided. THANK YOU :D :D
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

There is no "Mount Foresco"......but "Montefusco" in the CAMPANIA region,
AVELLINO province.
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Last,

I think you have the correct manifest. 1910 census he is living in Pittston and the manifest shows him going there to his brother-in-law.

Hope this helps.
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

That is the information I found. The reason I am asking if this is my grandfather is the fact the customer service representative said his name was crossed out on the manifest. I was told that when that appears it sometimes means that the person didn't make the ship.

Did you ever hear of that. Also is there another way to check to see if that is infact my grandfather?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Most generaly when the name is crossed out they did not make the trip..........
wldspirit

here is a link on naturalization and documentation of arrival....
http://www.genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Perhaps he did not come thru Ellis Island on the second trip, see the following record from Castle Garden...........

Carmine Parente Occupation Laborer
Age 47
Sex M
Literacy N
Arrived 26 Nov 1900
Origin Italy
Port Marseilles
Last Residence Montefusco
Destination West Pittston Pa
Plan Unknown
Ship Burgundia
Passage Unknown

There are 237 correct spellings of Parente, have not checked for mispelling.
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Last wrote:That is the information I found. The reason I am asking if this is my grandfather is the fact the customer service representative said his name was crossed out on the manifest. I was told that when that appears it sometimes means that the person didn't make the ship.

Did you ever hear of that. Also is there another way to check to see if that is infact my grandfather?
Yes, it can mean that he didn't make the ship, but like the CS lady says, "Sometimes."

I've check but have not found another that matches so closely, but there still could be one thru another port.

Try looking for him on this site.
http://stevemorse.org/

Also, his naturalization papers may list the ship name & arrive info.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

For a complete explanation of manifest markings check the following site,

http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/Manifests/

Often passengers booked to sail on a given ship did not depart. Perhaps they missed the ship, or changed their travel plans, or became ill and health officials prevented them from boarding the ship. Whatever the case, in some instances the change or decision occurred so late there was no time to amend the passenger list. Their names and passenger information remain on lists for ships upon which they never arrived.
To indicate the record is meaningless, steamship company employees would mark the record in one of several ways. The most common was to "line out" the entire record with dark grease pencil or ink. Some of the lines are straight across and can be difficult to differentiate from scratches on the microfilm. Others are deliberately "wavy."

Some records remain without a line, but are noted in the left margin as "N.O.B." (Not On Board), "did not sail," or, like the stamp above, "Not Shipped."

"It was important for the steamship company to make clear who was and was not on board the ship when it arrived in the United States. The company was responsible for paying the Head Tax on each immigrant landed, and government officials calculated the company's monthly bill using the manifest lists."

Note well that some of those names "lined out" were on board, but are officially recorded on another page of the passenger list. The example below includes two crossed-off names because they were "Not on Board," but one name is lined-out (line 21) because he/she is a "2nd class passenger." The official record of that person is, then, on the list of second class passengers.

Either he made the boat and is on another page.....or he didn't, and his name has been poorly transcribed.

wldspirit
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

So where do I go from here? I see his WW1 registration card I like that where did you find it. I also see other links that you have sent. I looks like I must pay a fee to join. At this time I can't join any site. How else can I locate and find out if he was on another ship or if it was him? :(
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

You can continue looking for him on online manifests and/or get his naturalization papers & see what info is provided abt. arrival.

Also, I believe you can write/email(?) civil hall in town of origin and request immigration information on him.
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Cicil hall, where do I find that information?
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Ufficio di Stato Civile
comune di Montefusco
Via pirro De Luca
83030 MONTEFUSCO (AV)
ITALY

Write in Italian & send self addressed return evelope, copy of photo ID (recommended), & international reply coupon (obtain from local post office).

or

FAX: #0825-964643

Hope this helps.