Misspelling on marriage certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
PippaCouch

Misspelling on marriage certificate

Post by PippaCouch »

Hello I have a question about a misspelling on a marriage certificate.

My great grandfather was called Antonio Dattoli and my great grandmother was called Francesca Perri.

I have located their marriage certificate but the names are spelt as follows:

Antonio Dattle
Francisco Perri

Will this be Ok? Do I need to get an amendment and if so how does one do this?

Thanks
Pippa
mgpuppo

Re: Misspelling on marriage certificate

Post by mgpuppo »

I don't know about your situation specifically, but I had a similar situation. My greatgrandfather was called Girolamo Benedetto and, although we haven't found the certificate yet, we have found the index where the certificate should be located and it shows as Girolamo di Benedetto.

Our lawyer said it should be no problem.
Username1

Post by Username1 »

I can't advise on what you have to do, but in my case, I had to amend
- two Philadelphia marriage licenses because of Date of Birth and spelling issues
- one Philadelphia marriage license application where there was no marriage certificate issued (I think they received a license and assumed it was done).

These ranged from 1914-1948.

I wrote up a petition using online templates, added proof to the petition, filed with the Court online, and the Court issued decrees 3 weeks later.

I sent a certified copy of the decree to the marriage license office, and they attached those decrees to the official record (they couldn't change the marriage license, just attach the court decree).

The issue with the marriage licenses (as well as changing 5 vital records) scared me into pausing my application for 10 years. But once I put my mind to it, it only took a few hours of work, 2 months of waiting, a $220 to win 4 court cases and change 7 vital records without a lawyer.
r21679

Post by r21679 »

Hello,

I received a record today with the same problem. To my knowledge my great-grandmother's maiden name has always been written as Venuto, but on her marriage record from Sicily it's Venuti. It's shown on her son's (my grandfather's) birth record as Venuto. I really hope this will not require an amendment! Thoughts from anyone?

Thanks,
Reese
PippaCouch

Post by PippaCouch »

Username1

This is very helpful thank you.As I will be doing it from the UK it is very encouraging that you managed without a lawyer using templates on line.

Pippa
PippaCouch

Post by PippaCouch »

I just realised that the misspelling is intact just the first names and not the last names as follows. I wonder if this makes it easier as last names correct? Do you think I'd need a correction?

names should read:

Antonio Dattoli
Francesca Perri.

I have located their marriage certificate but the names are spelt as follows:

Antino Dattoli
Francisco Perri
java4me9

Post by java4me9 »

Hi username1..

that is awesome that you did on your own...
where did you find the template?
i just discovered a few discrepancies for the last name.

if you can reach out that would be great...if you do not mind. i am going through the philly consulate in march and am stressing on how to accomplish getting this done without a lawyer.
feel free to contact me
mrvendetti@gmail.com

my best,
Michelle
Jbudd_Fulg

Post by Jbudd_Fulg »

Regarding your post about City Hall not having a certificate, do you still have your petition that your filed? Who signed the Certificate?

Does anyone else have any thoughts on how to get a reproduced marriage certificate when one does not currently exist?

I appreciate any help. Our appointment is on Feb 11 and City Hall has the application but no certificate. The church in which they were married had a fire. What a mess.

Thanks!
Jen
Username1 wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 18:46 I can't advise on what you have to do, but in my case, I had to amend
- two Philadelphia marriage licenses because of Date of Birth and spelling issues
- one Philadelphia marriage license application where there was no marriage certificate issued (I think they received a license and assumed it was done).

These ranged from 1914-1948.

I wrote up a petition using online templates, added proof to the petition, filed with the Court online, and the Court issued decrees 3 weeks later.

I sent a certified copy of the decree to the marriage license office, and they attached those decrees to the official record (they couldn't change the marriage license, just attach the court decree).

The issue with the marriage licenses (as well as changing 5 vital records) scared me into pausing my application for 10 years. But once I put my mind to it, it only took a few hours of work, 2 months of waiting, a $220 to win 4 court cases and change 7 vital records without a lawyer.