Opinions......

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Opinions......

Post by wldspirit »

I know everyone has their favorite genealogy software for creating/storing family history..........but in terms of use, and creative formats.....what do you find the easiest to use?

I did download the Lds PAF...but it has very little artistic creativity...... :?

I want to be able to do more than put names and dates on a standard chart...I want some artistic/creative flair suitable for framing......any and all opionions welcome!
wldspirit
Incipit
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Opinions......

Post by Incipit »

I agree with you, I use genopro, which is very simple to use :D , but extremely cold :( , without any kind of artistic option.

I wait other opinions to change my favorite program...

Tommaso
Incipit
Genealogical researches in Italy
www.incipitprato.com
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

I've always used Family Tree maker - but thats more out of habit than anything. Its a good straightforward program, but searching is not particularly flexible, and trying to move things out of FTW into 'word' or any other format is messy and unpredictable. If you want to publish a gedcom, but want to hide anyone under a certain age it is also awkward without going through a lengthy process of assigning dates to everything. Somewhere out there is the holy grail of genealogy programs :roll:

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I'm using treemaker right now and it's fairly easy to use. I downloaded a triall copy of smart draw...it has a lot of features and was very creative but difficult to use. It also had alot of other functions but when the trial was over it was expensive. Look into it and let me know what you think.

Nuccia :D
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I am familiar with Family Tree Maker........but yet again.........no creativity....... :(
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I have not heard of smart draw....does it contain templates which can be modified?
wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Lisa...

try the link below. It's free for 7 days so if you want play, then its cool. I lost my patience with it because I knew I couldn't buy it and I was running out of time so I didn't get to use it the way I wanted. It's very creative! Lots of different templates and functions. Good for things other than genealogy...you can even add photos to trees.

http://www.smartdraw.com/exp/ste/home/

But as I said, I never really got to play with it..hope you or someone else can...It seems difficult to use.

Let me know what you think.

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Now that looks promising......a bit pricey @ 197.00......... 8O

but it does have several options I like!!

wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I told you if was pricey but I knew it was what you wanted as soon as you posted.

I think you only have 3 chances to print stuff on the freebie version so use it wisely!

The funny part is the ones that look like flowcharts...my nine year old did a family tree and created it herself which looks just like that! Tonight she's teaching me to use power point! 8O 8O What I wouldn't give to be in her mind right now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jancrowe
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jancrowe »

I'm Eavesdropping on Ya'll

Nuccia, Power point is fantastic once you get the hang of it , alot of fun too.

I would like to hear more of your info on these programs you have mentioned I like messing around with new programs am teaching myself a 3D landscaping program...........

Leaving a message on the other site for all

Hugs
Janice
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Janice,

On Smartdraw there is a landscaping piece...have you seen it? I thought of you when you told me you were into landscaping but with everything going on I forgot to tell you. Maybe you should look into it too.

Lisa, have you tried it out yet.....you've been pretty quiet for the last little while. I assume you're absorbed in it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jancrowe
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jancrowe »

Nuccia

I will definately check it out............need something to do when it is raining ................. :lol: in between looking for lost ones :wink:

Love and Hugs
Janice
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hi everyone,

Blue skies and sunny, and yes I'm in work again. Did I here 3D landscaping programs? slightly off from genealogy programs but please inform I use to use autocad in work but found the 3D capabilites limited and I'm very interested in landscaping so please let me know what software you are playing with, and what you think of it.

Have a good day, morning, night or evening (have I covered all angles) everyone.
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Guys

The 50% of me that is Scottish is still picking myself up off the floor at the thought of $197 for anything!!!

I've often thought that if I had even the slightest artistic ability (which I unfortunately don't!) I would like to paint a big family tree on the a wall in one of my rooms. I've got some really early photos of family I could put on it going back to the 1850s - and boy were they a scary looking bunch! It always makes me laugh when I compare photos of my presbyterian Scots ancestors - who never smiled in pictures - to the more easy-going Italians. Anyway - I'm getting off the point... (again)

What I would like in a genealogy program is something that transfers easily to other programs, has very flexible searching and something that automatically allows certain things to be hidden by a simple checkbox.

What is Brothers Keeper like - does anyone know? You can also download a free copy of the program Geneanet uses - but getting to it is awkward - and I couldn't get it to open! :(

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
jancrowe
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jancrowe »

Hi all.......

Marisa, can I ever relate.............I have never paid full price for anything my fathers side part is Logan (the clan Loban) and my mother's side part is Maloney (some catholic some protestant) so I fight with myself over purchasing anything at full price

Mark, I am the Business Manager for Mother Earth Landscaping and I just bought Master Landscape & Home Design Pro (Punch Software)(on sale from $149.00 to $99.00) teaching myself so it could be awhile before I reap the full benefits of the program. Should have taken AutoCad in school but took HTML instead so write my own web pages from scratch.

I downloaded the free site that was posted yesterday and will check it out later have to get to work (outside the house) now

Later
Love
Janice