How do you handle mis-spellings in records....

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gram
Rookie
Rookie

How do you handle mis-spellings in records....

Post by Gram »

this is my third question. To verify oral family history I ordered my husband's father's birth certificate from the Indiana Department of Health.
We had been told his father, James Michael Lonetti, was born Vincenzo Lonetto, April 28, 1913, in Elkhart, Indiana. His parents were Francesco Lonetto and Caterina Mancuso, both born in Italy, and recent immigrants.
This is what the certificate says:
Name....Vincento Lionatto
Was born in Elkhart, Indiana on April 28. 1913
Child of....Francesco and Katharine Lionatto
Birthplace of father...Italy Birthplace of morther....Italy
How can I record this in family history when I believe the record is wrong?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

go back to thesource of the document and request a clarification of the custodian of records and ask to check the records for correct spelling since you believe that an error occurred in the present or at time of birth. Send it withreturn receipt requested so you establish a record of requests iof they rfefuse to honor your inquiry and you decide to have an attorney send a letter. Keep a copu of each letter you send and keep it in a folder. Peter
Gram
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gram »

What I believe is that an error occurred at the time of birth because of a problem with pronunciation and the tendency to americanize names (ie. Katherine for Caterina). After almost ninety years this probably can't be fixed but I will wait for the records I requested from Italy for proof of Francesco Lonetto's surname.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It can be fixed ewven afgter 90 years so long as the institution is still viable and you can obtsain a coipy of the corrected document from Italy and send it them for correction. Send this return receiopt requested and keep a copy and have an attorney send them a letter if they refuse you FIRST and then you can have an attorney write a letter in your behalf. Peter
Gram
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gram »

Thanks for the advice, Peter....while I am waiting for documentation from Italy I will request the birth record for the third son:
Gerado Lonetto, born in 1915, also in Elkhart, Indiana. He died at age four in Saint Paul, Minnesota. His death record lists his name as Gerdo Lonatto, another mistake. It will be interesting to see what his birth record says.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

keep me posted. Peter