Wecper, Italy?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Wecper, Italy?

Post by vj »

You're most welcome.
Hope it helps!
vj
Bottrop

Post by Bottrop »

[quote="antonius2987"]I am aware that he was born in Vittorio; Wecper is given as his last permanent residence before returning to the US. It's really just curiousity on my part as to why he was in Germany; I thought if I could at least find the city's location that would be a start.[/quote]
Dear Antonius,
your ancestor is from the 'Veneto' region in Italy. A lot of people from this area have worked and lived in Germany from the late 19th to the early 20th Century. After working in Germany, some of them emigrated to the USA (and some came back!). Unfortunately there is no town or township in Germany which fits to the name Wecper. The only one is Wisper, but this is a very very small village, a township of Heidenrod . If your ancestor's profession has been 'Scalpellino' then perhaps he worked in a shale quarry nearby this town.
Martin
antonius2987

Post by antonius2987 »

Thanks; I was not aware of that connection!
goldhunter
Rookie
Rookie

Post by goldhunter »

Hi Antonius,

My family was from a small commune in the Dolomites, not to far to the north of Trevisio. Around the turn of the century, my great grandfather worked in Germany. For 6 months of the year he would work in Westfalen, (Westfalia) and the rest of the year he would return home to Forno di Zoldo. He did this for many years. The locals had a nickname for this process of working part of the year in Germany which they called, "rondini".

He, along with others worked in Westfalen, ( Westfalia) building railroads. Some also went to the Ruhr District to work in mines. I did a search and found the city of Welpar in Westfalen. Perhaps Wecpar is a mispelling of Welpar.

Following is a link to a previous post on this Forum, from someone in Germany doing research on this same subject. You may be able to get more information by contacting this person.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... rmany.html

Good luck, ... Jay
antonius2987

Post by antonius2987 »

Thanks! I didn't realize it was such a common practice northern Italy to do work in Germany.