Fusco/Arpino/D'Agostino/Cascarino families of Edinburgh

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Scottclair625

Fusco/Arpino/D'Agostino/Cascarino families of Edinburgh

Post by Scottclair625 »

I'm searching information on my mathernal grandmother's family, the Fuscos. My great-great-grandfather was Benedetto Fusco (b. 1849, Italy) (F. Pasquale Fusco, M. Celesta D'Agostino) and his wife was Michelangela Arpino (b. 1858, Italy) (F. Benedetto Arpino, M. Benedetta Cascarino).

I know that they had 13 surviving children:

Maria (Mary) (b. 1879) (m. Joseph Gargaro)
Lucia (Lucy) (b. 1880) (m. Joseph Caira)
Andrea (Andrew) (b. 1881)
Giovanna (b. 1883)
Michael (b. 1885)
Giuseppe (b. 1888)
Antonio (Tony) (b. 1890) (m. Mary Anne Weir)
Salvatore (Sammy) (b. 1893) (m. Wilhelmina Morrison)
Louisa (Louise) (b. 1894) (d. 1972) (m. John Bird)
Pasquale (Paddy) (b. 1895) (m. Susan Bird)
Antonia (Netta) (b. 1898) (m. Tom Watt)
Razio (Richard) (b. 1901) (m. Margaret Docherty)
Giacinto (George) (b. 1901)

As you can see I know all their years of birth and some of their spouses, but I really don't know beyond that. I'd love to know if many of them married off and had children and when they died.

I know that the first 5 were born in Italy and the rest were born in the Bradford area and in Edinburgh where the family settled around the turn of the century.

Also, I know that Michael emmigrated to the USA and worked as a policeman in New York, and I'd also be interested to know if my great-great-grandparents had any brothers or sisters back in Italy, so I can trace back further. I believe my great-great-grandfather (Benedetto Fusco) was from the Picinisco area, or Villa Latina, and that my great-great-grandmother (Michelangela Arpino) was from Sant'Elia (at least that's where she left from to come to the UK).

I don't even know when my own great-grandfather (Salvatore) died, so if anyone is able to give any help whatsoer on any of these four families or relations in Edinburgh or in Italy it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Fusco/Arpino/D'Agostino/Cascarino families of Edinb

Post by ursulamezza »

The Fusco and D'Agostino names are from Casalattico (Frosinone) and there are families from this area also living in Northern Ireland who emigrated in the late 1800s - many spent time in Scotland before travelling across the Irish Sea, my own included. You can get the LDS records for Casalattico and see if they help pin down where Benedetto was born/married.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I search regularly in Picinisco, Villa latina and Sant'Elia. There are photos on my website of all these towns. I will keep a look out for Benedetto next time I go there.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Scott
I have films on extended loan from the Family History Centre for Sant'Elia and I have found many of the surnames you are searching for. There are two Sant'Elias in Frosinone the one I have the films for is Sant;Elia Fiumerapido.
I'll have a look for you the next time I'm there.
Did you know there are some Caira's who live in Fife area of Scotland?
I'm sending you a p.m.
Emmy
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Scott You have p.m.
stuartcapaldi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by stuartcapaldi »

Scott,

Have you tried the http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ?

If Salvatore died in Scotland they will have it on record. If you live in Edinburgh or nearby, you have a choice to either search on line which is costly if you are making errors or go to their building at the east end of Princes Street. Pay for a day pass and you can search all their records. They also give you taster sessions to explain how to search the records.

I explain on the web site www.capaldi-clan.com how I managed to successfully search for my ancestors from nil information.

Everyone on this forum site is extremely helpful and I have no doubt you will also be succesful in your search.

Please note the surnames in your family also occur in my family tree and my great grandmother Angela Maria Fusco came from Vallegrande in commune of Villa Latina. There was an extremely large contingent of immigrants from Villa Latina, Picinisco & Atina settling in Scotland

A presto

Stuart
Stuart Capaldi
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Scott have checked scotlandspeople for all the districts in Edinburgh from 1893-2006 (just males) but nothing comes up if I enter the first name Salvatore with Fusco.I know I could have made the starting date much later - and there are fewer entries then
Could he have been know by another name perhaps a type of 'nickname' I know my grandfather's christian name was Giovambattista and on his death record -wait for it- his christian name had become George!
Just putting in Fusco here what comes up in the Edinburgh all districts search
Bonnington 3
Cannongate 8
Dean 3
Duddingston 8
George Square 5
Grange 3
Haymarket 1
Holyrood 8
Leith 1
Morningside 3
Newington 3
Portebello 8
St.Andrews(Edinburgh) 4
St Giles 5
If you can think of another first name and a likely district I could look it up for you.
Emmy
(Please still keep checking your p.m.)
stuartcapaldi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by stuartcapaldi »

There is a record for Samuel Fusco age 67 in year 1959 in the district of Canongate. Record does not have an image to view to see complete entry.

Mother's maiden name is not given. ref GRO 685/03 0075

Marriage record dated 16/06/1919 Samuel Fusco hairdresser of Candlemaker Row age 26 Father, Bennet Fusco mother Margaret Arpino
St Giles District Greyfriars Place Edinburgh.
Witness Joseph Fusco

Stuart
Stuart Capaldi
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Scott have I got this correct?
Your GG Grandmother was Michelangela Arpino and was she born in 1858 in Sant'Elia Fiumerapidpo?
On Tuesday I checked a birth film for Sant'Elia Fiumerapido for Michelangela Arpino but I didnt have time to check all the film I'll post what I found just in case it may link up with other information you have. I'll check some more next time I'm back at the FHC
Surnames of the children born and the fathers names are all Arpino

First mumber will be year and date of birth, 2nd no will be index number I'll just put F for father and M for mother if I have their age when the child was born I'll print that next to their name and if I have the name of the child's paternal grandfather I'll just put G if I have 'fu' next to it it means he was dead when the child was born - you probably know all this already but just in case!

12/8/1855-111-Francesco-F.Domenicantonio-29 M.Felicia Pacitto 29
G.Mariantonio

22/12/1855-12-Marianna-Carmine-42 M.Rosa Pirolli-36 G.fu Crezenza

5/4/1859-50-Maria Caterina-F.Tomasso-40 M.AngelMaria Tomolillo 38

16/5/1859-81-Pasquale-F. Domenico M Gaetana Viola (No ages of parents from now on didnt have time to check the actual birth documents)

5/6/1959-105- Antonio F. Mattio M. Antonia Mambro

23/10/1859- 6-Domenico F.Tomasso M. Francesca Clementa

11/1/1860-6-Gabriele F Gaetano-M. Antonia Fragnoli

29/1/1860-17- Caterina F. Casimiro M Lucezia?? Angelosanto

17/5/1860-77-Angela F Guiseppe M. M. Fusco (could be Maria?)

19/10/1860-129-Antonio F Michelangelo M. Maria Pirolli

20/1/1861-6-Cresenzo F.GuiseppeM. Domenica d'Angelo

3/5/1861-66-Francesco F. Tomasso M. Angela Tomatella?

2/8/1861-98- Giovanni F. Domenico M. Maria Lanni

13/10/1861-125- Angela F. Gennoro? M. Giamandrea? Girantania??

28/11/1861-145- Antonio Mario F. Guiseppe M. Maria Larogatto ??

? means not sure of spelling- difficult to read.

If there is anything here that you want me to check the actual birth document for just let me know, just sorry I didnt find a Micheangela but it maybe on the previous film I'll check to make sure.

Do you know the date and or the month Michelangela was born and could there be a chance she could have been born in a different year ?
Emmy
Scottclair625

Post by Scottclair625 »

Her name was Michaelangela Arpino, and she was born in Sant'Elia in either 1857 or 1858, and she died in Edinburgh in 1952. Her father was Benedetto Arpino (a peasant farmer)and her mother was Benedetta Cascarino.
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Thanks Scott
I have the relevant film on indefinate loan so I'll check next week if I manage to get to the FHC.
Just keep checking in and I'll post anything I find.
Emmy
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Scott just bringing this post to the top to let you know I havent forgotten just I havent managed to get back to the FHC to check records It will probably be next week before I get back so please just keeping checking your post and pm's

Sorry about the delay
Emmy
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Scott going to the Family History Centre tomorrow will post any information I find tomorrow night.
Emmy
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Scott
I was at the FHC this afternoon but sorry :cry: to say I found no record for Michaelangela Arpino in the birth acts for 1857 or 1858 which makes me wonder if its the other Sant'Elia she was born or perhaps in one of the other small villages near Sant'Elia?
e.g.Today I discovered my GGGrandfather' brother's marriage by accident- On the film I have for Aquafondata (marriage doc.)there are other records on it for two other communes CERVARO (1858-1861) and VITIEUSO (1813-1861) which I hadnt bothered to check before and although he was born in Aquafondata his marriage is recorded in VITIEUSO (the girl he married was born there)
I'm going to try to attach an excel document that I recorded births from Villa Latina 1860/1862 I dont have any other films for Villa Latina. (Sorry it wont let me attach the excel document :cry: )
I'll list what I found today I searched from 1850 -1857 for Sant'Elia Fiumerapido

Index no. d.o.b. child's name Father Mother

4 9/1/1850 Lorenzo Domenico Giuseppa Vacca
16 ? Giuliano Antonio Giovana Arciero
71 17/5/1850 Giuseppa Tommaso Angelamaria Tomolillo
116 7/10/1850 Giovanna Costantino Cocetta Palmiero
158 22/10/1850 Loreta Tommaso Francesca Clemente ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
64 8/4/1851 Felicita Marcantonio Fortuna Fiore?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
43 3/3/1852 Marino Giuseppe Lucia Cuosso?
20 21/1/ ?1852 Silvestro Biagio Francesca Paccito
32 17/2/ ? 1852 Domenicantonio Giovan. Francesca Viola
165 23/10/1852 Maria Rosa Nicola Rosa Giogrande
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
49 22/3/1853 Pietro Genaro Gioavanna Giannid????
103 10/8/1853 Angelmaria Carmine Loranzia Angelosanto
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
? 25/6/1854 Pasqua Biagio Francesca Pacitta
100 22/9/1854 Tersa Giovanni Francesca Viola
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
? 19/10/1855 Guiseppa Mariantonia (no father)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
54 6/4/1856 Maria Guiseppe Carmine Angelosanto
35 5/3/1856 Ferdinanda Nicole Anna Maria Lanni
146 ?/11/1856 Benedetto Tommaso Francesca Clemente?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
49 6/4/1857 Crozio Giovanni Francesca Viola
? 2/5/1857 Rocco Biagio Francesca Pacitto
67 15/8/1857 MicheleAntonio Simono Giovanna ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Villa Latina 1860/1865

9 Fusco Maria Angela Domencio Carmilia Colepa? 19/2/1860
10 Fusco Maria Domenica Ozario Teresa Valente 11/3/1860
28 Fusco Maria Civita No Name Giuseppa Fusco 7/6/1860
46 Fusco Francesco Giacomo Angelica Luccia? 22/12/1860
6 Fusco Maria Nova Domenico Domenica Valente 27/1/1861
21 Fusco Filomena Tileno? Rosa Valente 28/6/1861
27 Fusco FranscescoAntonio Giuseppe Maria Luigia D'Angelis 10/6/1861
43 Fusco Giuseppa Giuseppe Maria Minchella 21/11/1861
48 Fusco FrancescaConcetta Orazio Angela Maria Nozza? 7/12/1861
50 Fusco Giovanni Pasquale Coletta D'Agostino 13/12/1861
14 Fusco Annuziata Giuseppe Rosa Minchella 23/3/1862
15 Fusco Teresa Ferdinando Rosa Minchella 25/3/1862
35 Fusco Pietro Ozario Teresa Valente 29/6/1862
11 Fusco Biagio Antonio Domenico Cornacula? Celesta 11/1/1863
39 Fusco Carolina Domenico Domenica Valente 29/6/1864
42 Fusco Domenico Francesco Col? Gargano 12/7/1864
61 Fusco Pasqua ?no father?? Maria Fusco 23/10/1864
65 Fusco Domenico GiovamAntonio Gaetana Fusco 18/11/1864
3 Fusco Domenica Orazio AngelaMaria Rossi 21/1/1865
1 Fusco Felice Francesco Benedetta Fusco 19/1/1865
6 Fusco Pietro Ozario Teresa Valente 16/2/1865
9 Fusco Felice No Father Angela Fusco 27/2/1865
25 Fusco Filomena Teleno? Rosa Valente 10/6/1865
40 Fusco Bernardo Domenico Celesta Cornachia? 20/10/1865

Sorry this one hasnt come out 100percent but these are all the Fusco births for yrs 1860/65 but I think it will be the film before this one that will probably have Benedetto Fusco's birth act . (I've never had that film.)
If I can help you in any other way just let me know

Emmy :cry:
RobertPaton

Re: Fusco/Arpino/D'Agostino/Cascarino families of Edinburgh

Post by RobertPaton »

Hello Scott
This is one of the sadder sides of our family history. We share great grandfather and great grandmother. Richard was married to Docherty in Edinburgh. They lived in the same buildings as my grandmother. When my grandmother's husband Peter Margiotta went to America to carve out a new future for his children, Richard produced two children with my grandmother. At the birth of my mother, the second of the two children, all came to light. Peter Margiotta came back and divorced my grandmother. Grandmother and Richard were taken to court. Docherty divorced Richard straight afterwards. Later at the age of 63 Richard died of cancer of the bladder. My grandmother died in 1945. I have the divorce papers. Sorry about this sad chapter of events. God knows what events the pavement stones and walls of St Giles are inscribed with. We shall be walking around where tgey lived this coming Tuesday. My family go back hundreds of years in this beautiful city.
All the very best
Robert Lindsay