Should I bother getting tested?

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
mpinchera

Re: Should I bother getting tested?

Post by mpinchera »

GEDmatch is much more confusing than other sites. When it says "80% xxx" that doesn't actually translate into 80% of "xxx". Using the Eurogenes tests on GEDmatch, for instance, you need to then get your coordinates and view where they cross on the given "map." That's my understanding, at least.

What this tells you is where an imaginary person with your DNA is most likely to be from.

Gencove is much more straightforward. Nothing gets as specific as GEDmatch, but GEDmatch is, I believe, the least accurate unless you REALLY know how each of the tests there work and to whom they actually apply.
stellina13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stellina13 »

I did end up testing Doberso, both my parents tested as well as 2 of my dad's siblings. I have an adopted great grandmother born in 1867 to unknown parents. She is my only unknown and it's very complicated because she comes from a neighboring town in Italy where there is much intermarriage and it's giving me a giant headache....but I keep plugging away hoping to find some answers.

Was it worth getting tested? Absolutely! I have communicated with some distant cousins and have had some very positive experiences.
Nina

Researching Surnames: Paolini, Polidoro, Salutari, Musti and many others- Castelvecchio Subequo; L'Aquila Province.

my husband"s side - Cancellieri/e, Trapani, Giambanco, Ruggeri, and many others - Palermo & Carini, Sicily
DavidBrivio

Post by DavidBrivio »

Many of the DNA tests in Britain have been found to be a bit of a con in that all they do is compare your DNA with all the other clients that they have on record.
A TV programme named Watchdog got one of their interviewers to have her DNA tested by the 3 largest outfits and when the results came back they gave her 3 different answers.
Personally I would not waste my money.
David Brivio.