Padulesi — Rossetti, Bufano, Checola, and Marmorale.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
gascot
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 06 Mar 2020, 18:16

Padulesi — Rossetti, Bufano, Checola, and Marmorale.

Post by gascot »

Ciao!

The majority of my grandfather's family came from Paduli. Thanks to the State Archives in Benevento's online indexes, I've been able to find out a few things about them, but there's a cut off date I desperately want to push past.

I'll start with what I know:

Between October 10th and November 29th 1868, Giuseppe Rossetti was born to Gabriele Rossetti and Girolama D'Angelis. (1868 was the only year Paduli's birth records are not on the online index for the state archives). He married Alessandra Mazzeo and had 5 children between 1890 and 1900. Giuseppe died December 22nd 1937.

Angelo Checola I is born in Paduli in the late 1700's. He has a son named Angelo Michele in 1799. Angelo Michele's son Michele Checola I is born in 1821. Michele has a son named Angelo in 1843, Angelo marries Concetta Marmorale and has 5 children before dying in 1916. Angelo's first child is a son named Michele (II), and he's born on October 8th 1875. Michele II emigrates to America and marries a Padulesi named Carmela Bufano, who was born sometime in 1877. They have a daughter in 1903, but then, Carmela Bufano disappears. Literally, she goes missing. So, Michele goes back to Paduli and brings back a new wife — Concetta Marmorale, who was born to Pellegrino Marmorale and Mario Giovanni Iebba on April 12th 1885. They have more children, quite a few, and the two both die in America.

So, here's what I want to learn:


• I'm hoping to find records on Giuseppe Rossetti's birth and records on his parents, Gabriele Rossetti and Girolama D'Angelis

• I have been unable to find any records relating to the wives, namely Giuseppe Rossetti's wife Alessandra Mazzeo, and Angelo Checola II's wife Concetta Marmorale.

• Carmela Bufano. She is an absolute mystery. The only thing I know about her for sure is that she was born in 1877 in Paduli and disappeared in Nassau County, New York in 1904. Benevento's State Archives online had nothing on any Bufano living in Paduli.

• I'd love to push the Checola's back before Angelo, but as the information I have on him and all the other Checola's before Michele II is second-hand, I don't know the limitations of the sources.

I'd appreciate help in any form, suggestions, databases, anything you got.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5841
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Padulesi — Rossetti, Bufano, Checola, and Marmorale.

Post by PippoM »

Do you mean that Michele's mother and II wife went by the same name?
Can you please show the records you have about Concetta Marmorale II and Carmela Bufano?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
gascot
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 06 Mar 2020, 18:16

Re: Padulesi — Rossetti, Bufano, Checola, and Marmorale.

Post by gascot »

PippoM wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 13:00 Do you mean that Michele's mother and II wife went by the same name?
I do.

PippoM wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 13:00 Can you please show the records you have about Concetta Marmorale II and Carmela Bufano?
The only actual official (ish) record I have on Carmela Bufano is an (American) death certificate for her daughter, my great-grandmother, that I do not have on hand. The record simply says her mother was named Carmela Bufano, born 1877 in "Italy". (it might specifically say she was born in Paduli but, I don't have it on hand so I can't be certain, so take that information with a grain of salt)

Nevertheless, here's what I have otherwise.

Carmela Bufano's only other attestations, as far as I can tell, are as follows:

• A Social Security Death certificate for her aforementioned daughter listing her mother's name as Carmela Bufano.
• A marriage cert for my great-grandparents, saying the same:
bufano.jpg
Like I said, Carmela Bufano is a ghost, and unfortunately those who knew what I know about her and gave me that knowledge are either passing away as we speak (literally) or have already passed. I don't even know the exact details of her disappearance! There seems to be no Missing Person records from the government regarding her, there was never a death certificate of a burial, and when I asked what happened to her my grandfather just told me "Bang" but not even he knew for sure. I'm hoping for a miracle with her but I'm well aware it's a big ask for anyone to just go on such incredibly vague information.

As for Concetta Marmorale II, there's quite a bit more. Birth certificate for her, death certificates for both of her parents, all from the State Archives of Benevento. Then there's immigration records and death records, plus birth certificates for all of the children. I'm not too interested in Concetta II, I know more than enough about her. It's Concetta I that I'm actually researching, as all that I have on her is her name on Michele Checola's birth certificate (http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Padulesi — Rossetti, Bufano, Checola, and Marmorale.

Post by adelfio »

Heres the death record
Giuseppe Rossetti age 69 death record 1937 Dec 23rd born in Paduli son of deceased Gabriele Rossetti and deceased Girolama D'Angelis wife was Alessandra Mazzeo

PG LINK
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
gascot
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 06 Mar 2020, 18:16

Re: Padulesi — Rossetti, Bufano, Checola, and Marmorale.

Post by gascot »

adelfio wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 19:31 Heres the death record
Giuseppe Rossetti age 69 death record 1937 Dec 23rd born in Paduli son of deceased Gabriele Rossetti and deceased Girolama D'Angelis wife was Alessandra Mazzeo

PG LINK
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Marty
Thanks, however I'd already found this. My interest is finding resources to go back farther than this.
Post Reply