Name on marriage certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Name on marriage certificate

Post by frankdamore »

Hello,

Quick question - I'm looking at a marriage record of my great grandfather. Can you give me a reminder how they read.
Is it last name, first name, middle name?

The record is DeLuca Francesco Pietro (seeing if Francesco is the first or middle name).

Thanks, in advance
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Name on marriage certificate

Post by PippoM »

Hello,
in Italy we do not have what is called a "middle name".
Nowadays, ALL the names a child is given at birth (I'm talking about civil records) constitute his first (and unique) name. For instance, my first son's name is Vittorio Luigi, and it is written in all official documents.
It was once possible (and still possible at baptism) to add more names as a second or third name and so on. They were separated by a comma. For instance, my name at baptism is Giuseppe, Italo, Maria. But you would always just read "Giuseppe" in my documents.
Moreover, some "double" first names must be considered like a single name. For instance, they can be a dedication to a specific saint ("Giovanni Battista", "Francesco Saverio"...).
To summarize, in your case, "De Luca" is the surname; as to "Francesco Pietro", you should check the birth act to verify if there's a comma between the names. This is the method I use when recording names in my DB.
And however, it might happen that a guy named, let's say "Domenico Antonio" (with no comma) at birth, be just called "Domenico", all along his life! In this case, I mention "Domenico" as an alias.
I hope I was able to explain.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Name on marriage certificate

Post by frankdamore »

Hello,

Understood - thank you, for the thorough reply.

I need to get my hands on his birth record. I haven't been able to locate that as of yet.

I have his marriage record and after looking more closely, it says DeLuca Francesco Pietro (no period or comma). On his children's birth records though, it shows the father name as just Pietro.

Again, much thanks for the reply.

Stay safe out there!