other place to find arrivals???

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

other place to find arrivals???

Post by ally »

Hello Everyone,

Hope all had a wonderful Mother's Day!!!!

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where else I could possibly look for the arrival of my g-grandmother Angela(rosa), gram Rose(antonia), a sister of Rose and a cousin named Frankie(Francesco). G-Grams name was Paruolo, and my gram Rose(antonia) was Vernaglia. The sister's name I do not have as my gram told her children she came with a sister and her cousin Frankie.

I tried Ellis under all the alternate names they give you and also castle garden. They supposedly arrived in 1898/9 and settled in Yonkers.

I cannot even find a census for them in Yonkers for 1900.

My g-gramps came in 1895/6, found his arrival. The earliest census I have is from 1910 in North Bergen, NJ & 1915 which Angela was widowed.

Any other ideas????? :)

Thanks ,

Ally
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: other place to find arrivals???

Post by wldspirit »

Have you tried Ancestry? They have a number of databases for other ports of entry........
wldspirit
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Hi,

Yes tried Ancestry, also tried for a census on Heritage Quest also.
I see some Paruolo's in NY but not of my g-gram.

My distant relative has the films out in Brazil and checked for siblings of Angela(rosa) and none matched the people that I found in NY.

It is funny as I know they did not come to Jersey until 1907. That was the year my gram married and the family high tailed it to Jersey!

I am missing just their arrivals, mostly all other stuff, like deaths, marriages are almost straightned out. It is driving me nuts!!!!!!! :lol:

Just hoping someone knew of another site I haven't found yet.

Thanks for your input, have a good one!!!

Ally
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Ally,

Is Paruoo & Vernaglia their maiden names or married names?

Most, not all, females are on manifest by their maiden name.

Let us know....

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Hi wldspirit & jcsm400,

I tried those other sites, no surnames arrived.

Thanks for the other links though, maybe can find my moms side when I finish up pop's side.

The name Paruolo is my g-grams maiden name, the children all had the fathers name of Vernaglia.

I know they came from Monte San Giacomo, just cannot find their darn arrivals. Of course they did arrrive- this I would not be sitting here typing this, lol!!!!!

Thanks, I will keep searching, is there a way to search them departing "from Monte San Gaicomo??"

Ally
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Yes Ally,

You could use the stevemorse.org site and use the grey form..I'm going to have a look for you now. Keep your fingers crossed.

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Ally no luck by town name.

I did however find this on ancestry...any connection?

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 Recordinfo
about Frank Vernaglia
Name: Frank Vernaglia
Birth Date: 7 Apr 1878
Residence: Bergen, New Jersey
Birth: San Diego, Italy
Race: White
Roll: WW2_2275647

Nuccia

http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/3043/imagex5qj.gif
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Hi Nuccia, :)

How are you? I came across this also. This is a son of 1 branch of our family. Trying to decipher which common ancestor it is.

My g-gramps had 1 sister Angela Vernaglia, married Antonio Carnevale (Canevalo) in Manhattan in 1892 (got married license).

The brother Guiseppe Giovanni was born around 1863, however, do not know if he ever made it to US. There was 1 Guiseppe mentioned in arrivals to US, but it doesn;'t show to whom he was seeing or where he came from, early 1888 I believe it was. Cannot remember exact yr of arrival.

Also saw a John Vernaglia alive in No. Bergen, but no info other then family names, have to check out the births and or deaths of these children to see if I can backtrack to a suranme or place.

G-Gramps father Antonio Vernaglia came to US early 1900's with 2nd wife Maria Bruno.

This I found in arrivals, stating to see sons??? Angelo, Francesco and Guiseppe in NY. There is no mention of an Angelo being born. My distant relative ( from Brazil - can you belive that) ordered the family act from MSG and emailed me, only shows Francesco, Giuseppe Giovanni and Angela, must be typo error on recording arrivals.

Lots of cousins came over also settlleing in NY (Yonkers) NJ (Hoboken) and No. Bergen.

I also got copies of some marriages of Vernaglias in Hoboken, in which I believe this Francesco off the WW2 card is who it is about.

It is funny, because I know that my gramma Rose was living in Yonkers as soon as they arrived around 1898/99. She said she was 6, she was born 1893 in MSG. Her family stayed there until she married in 1907 then skipped over the Hudson into New Jersey. Yet the only census I can find on Francesco is from Jersey 1910/1915. This is one strange family!!!!

Ally
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Ally,

Just keep in mind that they could have come through Canada & then down to the States. It was easier to get passage to Canada then the US, so many immigrants came this way.

Joyce
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Hi Jscm400, Joyce,

Hope I got that right, forgot to check!

I didn't even think to look thru a passage thru Canada. I guess because all of the other family members came thru Ellis Island.

I guess my next question, though it sounds stupid, but where does one check for Canada arrivals???? I have Ancestry, where else would I look!

You are most helpful!!!

Ally :)
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

ally,

You can also email Trish if you like. She has access to lots of records and lives in Penns but she up at the New Jersey archives often. She has great advice about these things.

Ancestry has Canadian records too but I didn't see you grandmothers name. Have you tried doing a first name ranked search on angela using just the first name and birth year? Time consuming but sometimes worth it.

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Ally,

From what I understand, there are not many passenger lists to Canadian online (not even thru ancestry). The Canadian Archives have microfilms on arrivals, but I don't know how you access them, maybe Nuccia or someone else can help with that info or do a search for Canadian Archives & look for the information.

Let me know what you find out....think one of mine came this way. Just haven't been ambitious enough to do the checking!

You got it right.

Joyce (jcsm)
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

ally,

I found this site that looks interesting. Haven't looked all through it yet but you may want to.

http://www.ingeneas.com/

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Nuccia,

Thanks, will check tomorrow, how ya doing? Kids out of school yet???
I have another 2 weeks of freedom! Ha, Ha!!

I have Trish checking somethings for my grandfathers side, maybe when she is done, I will ask her about the arrivals for these ladies.

Thanks Joyce, will let you know what I come up with. Have a good night!

Ally :)