Petti family in Montecilfone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lap

Post by lap »

I am researching my husband's family. Have located his father, John Peter Petti b. 29 June 1897 d. 29 March 1955, on the Ellis Island site listed as Giovanni Petti age 24 arrived NY on ship Europa 14 Oct 1921. He was a citizen of & last resided in Montecilfone (have located in Campobasso, Molise) and had a wife, Annita, living there. His final destination to be Philadelphia, PA there to join uncle Monaco Nicola (wonder which is sirname?) at 527 Butler St. (this is just a block away from John's future wife and matches the only information we had-that he lived around the corner a block away). Ship manifest states he intended to become a U.S. citizen but in the 1930 census he is listed as alien. John's father's name was Michael. How do I obtain John's birth certificate and hopefully his mother's name, date of first marriage and what happened to that wife and maybe locate any relatives? lap
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

First MONACO is the surname and Nicola the first name. In order to obtain his birth record go to www.italianancestry.com Part 3 and obtain copy of form letyter in Italian. Next send it wiuth $5.00 in Euro note or check or postal coupons along weith a self addressed envelope to Ufficio di Stato Civile, Comune di Montecilfone, Postale 86032, Provincia Campobasso, Molise region. Italy. Since you know his father is Michael Petti you might wish to request a marriage record based solely upon his fathers name and approximate year of birth (figure marriage after army 20 years old If you husband is first child then figure 21 0r 22 earlier for Michaels birth year) you may request a marriage record within that timeframe.It may work, if not wait for the birth record and send in new request for marriage certificate. You can go to www.paginebianche.it and iunsert Petti surname in first line and Montecilfone in third line and click cerca. A list of Petti surnamed persons may appear with addresses and telephone numbers and you may wish to contact them by mail or telephone and simply ask them what they know. Peter
lap

Post by lap »

Thank you, so much, for your help. Will I need a zip code for Italy and should I put stamps on the return, self addressed envelope? Unfortunately my search turned up no Petti listed in Montecilfone but I did copy the ones in nearby towns. After deciding what my letter of inquiry will say how do I get it translated into italian and likewise any response into english? Lois
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I furnished you with the postal code in my previous response to you. It is 86032 for Montecilfone. If you need the zip code for any other town then go to www.comuni.it and look up the postal code for the town you are writing to (codigo postale in italian.)There is no "zip Code" for Italy, like in the US each community has its own "zip code"(codigo postale).Since english is the second anguage in Italy and tauight in the schools a letter in very SIMPLE english (short sentences in in simple word. My name is...., I am seeking...... His name is.....like that) so that a school child can either translate it or take it to her teacher. Likewise you can write a letter in english and take it to a locakl high school that teaches Italian or a university and have them translate a letter for you in Italian. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

since you did not give me the names of the towns youi are wiritng to when you go to www.comuni.it and in the upper rioght hand corner you will see a place to type in the name f the town and then click the name when it shows up and look for the "postale #"Peter
lap

Post by lap »

Thank you again for your help and patience. Using the information you gave above, would the envelope addressed to Montecilfone look like this?

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Montecilfone
Provincia Campobasso
Molise, Italy 86032
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

86032 would go alongside Comune Montecilfone. Peter
JRaffa

Codice Postale

Post by JRaffa »

I just thought I would chime in here for anyone doing research in Italy. The postal code (zip code) is called CAP in Italy.
Joe
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

CAP in Italian is CODICI DI AVVIAMENTO POSTALE (CAP). Information as to the town you may be interested in can be located in the left side of this site under Databases and click on Locations in Italy. Icons can be clicked on for town information and a map of the area where the town is located. Peter
lap

Post by lap »

Many thanks to you both, Peter and Joe, for the information and quick replies. When enclosing a self addressed envelope should I put stamps on it? I would guess whatever the post office here charges to send letter to individual, but shouldn't it be more when requesting several documents?
Lois
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

No not at all. The service is actually free but sending $5.00 for each dpcument or whatever you choose to send is recommended by the Mormon church people since overseas requests are given last priority. Peter