Y Haplogroup

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Y Haplogroup

Post by darkerhorse »

Does anyone here with an Italian surname know their Y haplogroup?
Palermo Trapani

Re: Y Haplogroup

Post by Palermo Trapani »

Yes, NAT GENO was what I used and I am I-M223. All ancestors immigrated from Sicily between 1890 and 1903. My top 2 Match Populations at NAT GENO are 1) Italian (they use Italians from Tuscany/Central Italy as reference population) and 2) Greek.

I
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Mine is G-L14. All of my ancestors are Italian.
TerraLavoro
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Did anyone get a time frame associated with the origin of their Y haplogroup? I read it represents "ancient" origins.

My paternal line is R-M269 L1066.1.

The paper trail for my paternal side is all Sicilian back to the 1700s.

I was "disappointed" to learn that this Y haplogroup is believed to have originated in the British Isles, specifically Scotland. Perhaps Euro Asian origin before that.

I was hoping for deep Italian roots or Middle East or even Northern Africa.

Of course, there have been many invasions of Sicily over the centuries.
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

darkerhorse wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 00:12 Does anyone here with an Italian surname know their Y haplogroup?
If you really want to know your "Confirmed" Y Haplogroup, I suggest FamilyTreeDNA Y-DNA testing. 23andme showed my Paternal Haplogroup as R-S660, but when I went with the FamilyTreeDNA Big Y-700 test, my confirmed haplogroup was R-FGC19862. FamilyTreeDNA goes deeper, branching off subclades, SNP's and etc...basically a branch on a tree as if it were and they show you how it branches off and also list countries and surnames of others.

I'm Italian on my Maternal side only and see North African and Middle Eastern heritage, very small % however and I noticed it changes between DNA companies, some show more % and some show different regions or areas.
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

-
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

The FamilyTreeDNA Project for my Y haplogroup has 225 members and not a single one has an Italian surname. They are mostly UK names, especially Scottish and Irish.

How accurate is the identification of one's Y haplogroup?

Where can I find out how common my presumed Y haplogroup is among Italians (Sicilians)?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Looks like a false alarm.

I just found this study.

It suggests that my Y haplogroup is the most frequent in Sicily and in my province.

If accurate, I'll just have to accept ancient roots in the UK for my surname line.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2985948/
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I have thought much about learning the Y-DNA haplotype of my maternal grandfather's line, but it seems (at least for the moment) that any avenue of discovery of that for me is closed off. I only have ONE male cousin on that line who would carry the Y-DNA, but he is so PO'd and in denial about his half-sister (the illegitimate one) that there is no way in Hades that he'll even take ANY kind of DNA test which would legitimize that relationship. He has a son, but we're not close & have never met face-to-face, despite both living here in the southern half of California.

My grandfather was also the only male of 7 siblings, so I'd have to find a male relative of his uncle (who I have no info on aside from his name). So the possibilities are slim-to-none. You're lucky to have that info...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Is that Gus? If so, that's a shame because he looks more exotic than others, and might have an interesting background.

I suppose you were the one that informed your cousin of his new half-sibling? If so, had you thought that through?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Does anyone have data like this for Bari on the mainland?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 22:05 Is that Gus? If so, that's a shame because he looks more exotic than others, and might have an interesting background.

I suppose you were the one that informed your cousin of his new half-sibling? If so, had you thought that through?
Yes on both counts. I had informed 2 of his sisters prior, the oldest & youngest of the siblings, who both took it with a grain of salt. The oldest sib & my cousin Deb are now friends (as well as half-sibs).

I think it's a father-son thing. My timing was terrible, so no, I didn't really think through breaking it to him. His sisters warned he might not take it well also. They were right. He apparently holds his dad (my uncle, my mom's twin) in much higher regard than the man deserved (he was exceptionally irresponsible in all aspects of his life), but I'm not going to get between a son & the "image" he has created around his father.

Maybe the ice will break at a later date but I'm not holding my breath...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I looked into my GGf's siblings -- only found 2. A sister who lived to age 6 & a brother that died the same day he was born. If there are any others I can't find them.
Mark

GenealogyFan77
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GenealogyFan77 »

So I don't have an Italian surname, but I had my cousin, a Pacia, with ancestors from Moschiano, Avellino verified back to 1756. His y-haplogroup is J-M267 and he only has one match, also a Pacia, with Pacia ancestors from Moschiano, though I can't find the connection with available records.