Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Forio
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Gilbertsville, PA this is in Montgomery county
My husband grew up in South Philly and I in SW Philly.
My husband grew up in South Philly and I in SW Philly.
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Hi Joanne,ischia wrote:Gilbertsville, PA this is in Montgomery county
My husband grew up in South Philly and I in SW Philly.
I have to smile when I hear people are from my hometown!!:):):)
If you ever want to go to NARA on 9th and Chestnut Streets or the Philly Archives at 31st & Market Streets, both in Center City. Let me know. Thrusdays are my best days to go to Archives. We can meet!
Also, I love going to the Montgomery County Archives. I have family from Montomgery County and I'm up at those archives a lot too. And Carole who is the director is a real doll!!!
Have a great day! Keep in touch!
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Hi Joanne,ischia wrote:I am looking for any information of the names Giavonni Guiseppe (John Joseph aka J. Joseph or Joseph J.) Castaldi (born around 1859 and Maria D'Ambra Castaldi (born around 1878 ) of Forio d'Ischia, Italy, married in USA, Philadelphia, PA.on Sept. 14, 1896. and he came back a few years later to Philadelphia, PA..
I just wanted you to know that I did look up the Philadelphia Marrige Index for Giuseppe Castaldi.
The License number is #87884
If you want, you can always order the microfilm for the License Number. Here is the film number.
Marriage licenses no. 87700-88299 - 1896 - FHL Film 1299943
If not, I should be up to the Philadelphia Archives in the next two weeks. Or if you go to the Philly Archives yourself. You ask for the blue book at the desk and then look up the license number. It will give you the Philly Archives film number.
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Trish,
Thank you for this info. I will make a copy of this info. I do not know when I will get down to Philly. If I do purchase the microfilm by calling how do I make a clear copy of the license from it for my family and cousins?
Maria D'Ambra and Giovanni G. aka ( John Joseph or J. Joseph )Castaldi were married in Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church in Phila. PA on Sept. 14, 1896.
Also, how do you use these smile faces and get them into the messages ?
Thank you for this info. I will make a copy of this info. I do not know when I will get down to Philly. If I do purchase the microfilm by calling how do I make a clear copy of the license from it for my family and cousins?
Maria D'Ambra and Giovanni G. aka ( John Joseph or J. Joseph )Castaldi were married in Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church in Phila. PA on Sept. 14, 1896.
Also, how do you use these smile faces and get them into the messages ?
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Hi There,ischia wrote:Trish,
Thank you for this info. I will make a copy of this info. I do not know when I will get down to Philly. If I do purchase the microfilm by calling how do I make a clear copy of the license from it for my family and cousins?
Maria D'Ambra and Giovanni G. aka ( John Joseph or J. Joseph )Castaldi were married in Mother of Sorrows Catholic Church in Phila. PA on Sept. 14, 1896.
Also, how do you use these smile faces and get them into the messages ?
The microfilm number I gave you is from the Family History Center. You would have to go to a Family History Center near you. The film costs $5.75 a roll. Copies are usually about $0.50 each. There are any where from 2-4 pages in a Marriage Application.
You can order the film, or go to the Phila Archives.
Also, the Emoticons are are on the left hand side of your screen. You can add them to your posts.
I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
- Molisana1973
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 16 Oct 2006, 00:00
- Location: Bavaria/Germany
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Hi Joanne,
my boyfriend is from Forio, and we go there a few times in the year. Maybe I can find something for you when I'm thre next time.
Ciao
Angelina
my boyfriend is from Forio, and we go there a few times in the year. Maybe I can find something for you when I'm thre next time.
Ciao
Angelina
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Hi Angelina,
Thank you so much for the offer. I keep trying to get my Cousins together for a trip to Forio d'Ischia, but it has not happened yet. I would appreciate it if you could help me.
Both of my grandparents on my father's side were born in Forio d’Ischia. My grandfather, Giovonni Giuseppe Castaldi was born June 1858, I believe to, Nunziata and Raffaele Castaldi. The only other child I can find is another son named Luigi born in 1854. If they had other children, I cannot find them in the US, they must have stayed in Ischia to live. I need to know what parish they were from in Ischia, if possible, so I can write for baptismal certificates, death, etc.
My grandmother was Maria D’Ambra born December 1878, her father was Luigi D’Ambra and her mother may have been named Maria also. She had a brother Michaelangelo born 1880 and a sister Frances born 1882. I do not know if they were from the same parish or not.
Luigi D'Ambra brought daughter Maria to Phila. , PA, USA in 1898 to marry my grandfather.Let me know if you need any other information.
IF I GET MY COUSINS TO GO WHAT IS THE BEST WAY? AIR TO NAPLES, AND BOAT TO ISCHIA? LET ME KNOW INCASE I GET THEM TO COMMIT.
Thank you, Joanne
Thank you so much for the offer. I keep trying to get my Cousins together for a trip to Forio d'Ischia, but it has not happened yet. I would appreciate it if you could help me.
Both of my grandparents on my father's side were born in Forio d’Ischia. My grandfather, Giovonni Giuseppe Castaldi was born June 1858, I believe to, Nunziata and Raffaele Castaldi. The only other child I can find is another son named Luigi born in 1854. If they had other children, I cannot find them in the US, they must have stayed in Ischia to live. I need to know what parish they were from in Ischia, if possible, so I can write for baptismal certificates, death, etc.
My grandmother was Maria D’Ambra born December 1878, her father was Luigi D’Ambra and her mother may have been named Maria also. She had a brother Michaelangelo born 1880 and a sister Frances born 1882. I do not know if they were from the same parish or not.
Luigi D'Ambra brought daughter Maria to Phila. , PA, USA in 1898 to marry my grandfather.Let me know if you need any other information.
IF I GET MY COUSINS TO GO WHAT IS THE BEST WAY? AIR TO NAPLES, AND BOAT TO ISCHIA? LET ME KNOW INCASE I GET THEM TO COMMIT.
Thank you, Joanne
- Molisana1973
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 16 Oct 2006, 00:00
- Location: Bavaria/Germany
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Hi Joanne,
no problem. If I'm at Ischia, I look for you. but it could be that need a little time to go. I don't know when I have time to go there. I hope at christmas, but I don't know.In the time between I send the file to the son of my Boyfriend. maybee he can do it faster.
For the moment I searched in the white pages ( Telephonebook) of Forio for the Name D'Ambra. I've found 5 Pages. Maybe I can make Connections for you. Maybe they know one of the names.For the name Castaldi I found 5 pages , too. Ischia is not so large. So i think we have a good chance to find something out.
If you wold go to Forio, please take the plane to naples and use the Boat to Ischia Ponte. and then take the bus. A very good Site is
http://www.Ischia.org
it's in english , too, and you can see everything there. It's very interresting.
If you know when you go to Forio, please let me know. maybe it's possible that I go there , too in this time, and we can meet there.
Best wishes
Angie
no problem. If I'm at Ischia, I look for you. but it could be that need a little time to go. I don't know when I have time to go there. I hope at christmas, but I don't know.In the time between I send the file to the son of my Boyfriend. maybee he can do it faster.
For the moment I searched in the white pages ( Telephonebook) of Forio for the Name D'Ambra. I've found 5 Pages. Maybe I can make Connections for you. Maybe they know one of the names.For the name Castaldi I found 5 pages , too. Ischia is not so large. So i think we have a good chance to find something out.
If you wold go to Forio, please take the plane to naples and use the Boat to Ischia Ponte. and then take the bus. A very good Site is
http://www.Ischia.org
it's in english , too, and you can see everything there. It's very interresting.
If you know when you go to Forio, please let me know. maybe it's possible that I go there , too in this time, and we can meet there.
Best wishes
Angie
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Hi Angelina,
Thanks for getting back to me so soon. It will probably be some time next year I will go if I can get my cousins to pick a date which they all are good with, if not just me and my husband and sister and my brother in law will go. We have been to Italy 2 times but never to Ischia, they were Perillo tours for north to south and the last one wasPalermo Sicily to Rome. Sorrento was my favorite place of all so far.
I have the site for the white pages in Italy and like you said there were many Castaldi's and D'Ambra. Those names must be like Smith & Jones in America, there are so many. I was thinking on sending them all a letter ( I would have it translated by computer
from english to Italian before I send it) asking for any information on my ancestors. I wrote to the archdioceses of Ischia and the priest last name was D'Ambra on the letter and he never mentioned the connection at all, I was surprised. The info he gave me was the wrong people, they were married in Ischia and mine were married in the US.
I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks again. Joanne
Thanks for getting back to me so soon. It will probably be some time next year I will go if I can get my cousins to pick a date which they all are good with, if not just me and my husband and sister and my brother in law will go. We have been to Italy 2 times but never to Ischia, they were Perillo tours for north to south and the last one wasPalermo Sicily to Rome. Sorrento was my favorite place of all so far.
I have the site for the white pages in Italy and like you said there were many Castaldi's and D'Ambra. Those names must be like Smith & Jones in America, there are so many. I was thinking on sending them all a letter ( I would have it translated by computer
from english to Italian before I send it) asking for any information on my ancestors. I wrote to the archdioceses of Ischia and the priest last name was D'Ambra on the letter and he never mentioned the connection at all, I was surprised. The info he gave me was the wrong people, they were married in Ischia and mine were married in the US.
I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks again. Joanne
- Molisana1973
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 16 Oct 2006, 00:00
- Location: Bavaria/Germany
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Hi Joanne,
*lol* I will hope that it wouldn't be the one which I've seen in one Video. it's an old man*lol*.Do you zuse a special programm to translate? or do you use Babelfisch or something like that. the translations there are bad. If you need help with your translations, please ask. I can help you. I look in this forum every day.I told my Boyfriend yesterday from you. and he said, that it would be funny when we go together to Ischia. He can help you to translate( together with me, because his english doesn't exist*lol*)It's more easy when someone ask the people who comes from there and knows the people.If you see this Island, you never want to go to other places;-) That's for sure;-)
I have one Video of Ischia. if you would have it , I can make a copy and send it to you.
Best wisches
Angie
*lol* I will hope that it wouldn't be the one which I've seen in one Video. it's an old man*lol*.Do you zuse a special programm to translate? or do you use Babelfisch or something like that. the translations there are bad. If you need help with your translations, please ask. I can help you. I look in this forum every day.I told my Boyfriend yesterday from you. and he said, that it would be funny when we go together to Ischia. He can help you to translate( together with me, because his english doesn't exist*lol*)It's more easy when someone ask the people who comes from there and knows the people.If you see this Island, you never want to go to other places;-) That's for sure;-)
I have one Video of Ischia. if you would have it , I can make a copy and send it to you.
Best wisches
Angie
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Hi Angelina,
Yes it is babelfisch. is there any others?
Here is what I want to say iand how it was translated by the computer:
Dear Sir or Madam,
I do not understand Italian so I write in English and have it translated by a computer; I hope you can understand this.
I am trying to find someone who can give me information or tell me where to request birth or death certificates, or any 1800-1870 family censes. My fraternal grandparents were both born in Forio d’Ischia. They were married in Philadelphia, PA, USA June 1896.
My grandfather, Giovonni Giuseppe Castaldi was born June 1858, to Nunziata and Raffaele Castaldi. The only other child I can find is another son named Luigi born in 1854. If they had other children, I cannot find them in the US, they must have stayed in Ischia to live. I need to know what parish they were from in Forio d’Ischia, if possible, so I can write to them.
My grandmother was Maria D’Ambra born December 1878, her father was Luigi D’Ambra and her mother may have been named Maria also. She had a brother Michaelangelo born 1880 and a sister Frances born 1882.
Their son Salvatore was sent back to Ischia to study in the parish church at the age of 10 in 1910. We are not sure if he lived with the Castaldi’s or the D’Ambra’s. He returned to his parents’ home in Philadelphia, PA, USA in 1913
I would appreciate any information on them that you can supply or direct me to someone who can help me in my search for ancestry information. Thank you very much for your time and patience.
Sincerely,
Joanne Castaldi Navarro
211 Jordan Drive
Gilbertsville, Pa 19525
jojosew@comcast.net
This is how Babelfish translated it:
Caro signore o signora,
Non capisco l'italiano in modo da scrivo in inglese e lo faccio tradurre da un calcolatore; Spero che possiate capire questo. Sto provando a trovare qualcuno che possa fornire me le informazioni o dirmi dove chiedere la nascita o i certificati di morte, o a tutti i censes 1800 -1870 della famiglia.
I miei grandparents fraterni entrambi sono stati sopportati in d'Ischia di Forio. Sono stati sposati a Filadelfia, PA, S.U.A. giugno del 1896. Il mio nonno, Giovonni Giuseppe Castaldi era giugno nato del 1858, a Nunziata ed a Raffaele Castaldi. L'unico l'altro bambino che posso trovare è un altro figlio chiamato Luigi sopportato in 1854. Se avessero altri bambini, non posso trovarlo negli Stati Uniti, devo rimanere in Ischia per vivere. Devo conoscere che parrocchia provenivano nel d'Ischia di Forio, se possibile, in modo da posso scrivere loro.
La mia nonna era Maria D'Ambra sopportato dicembre del 1878, il suo padre era Luigi D'Ambra e la sua madre può essere chiamata Maria anche. Ha avuta un fratello Michaelangelo sopportato 1880 e una sorella Frances sopportato 1882. Il loro figlio Salvatore è stato trasmesso di nuovo a Ischia allo studio nella chiesa della parrocchia all'età di 10 di 1910. Non siamo sicuri se vivesse con il Castaldi o il D'Ambra. Ha rinviato ai suoi genitori a casa a Filadelfia, PA, S.U.A. in 1913.
Apprezzerei loro tutte le informazioni che potete fornirli o dirigere verso qualcuno che potesse aiutarlo nella mia ricerca delle informazioni di ascendenza. Grazie molto per il vostri tempo e pazienza.
Cordiali saluti,
Is this ok? Let me know , thanks, Joanne
Yes it is babelfisch. is there any others?
Here is what I want to say iand how it was translated by the computer:
Dear Sir or Madam,
I do not understand Italian so I write in English and have it translated by a computer; I hope you can understand this.
I am trying to find someone who can give me information or tell me where to request birth or death certificates, or any 1800-1870 family censes. My fraternal grandparents were both born in Forio d’Ischia. They were married in Philadelphia, PA, USA June 1896.
My grandfather, Giovonni Giuseppe Castaldi was born June 1858, to Nunziata and Raffaele Castaldi. The only other child I can find is another son named Luigi born in 1854. If they had other children, I cannot find them in the US, they must have stayed in Ischia to live. I need to know what parish they were from in Forio d’Ischia, if possible, so I can write to them.
My grandmother was Maria D’Ambra born December 1878, her father was Luigi D’Ambra and her mother may have been named Maria also. She had a brother Michaelangelo born 1880 and a sister Frances born 1882.
Their son Salvatore was sent back to Ischia to study in the parish church at the age of 10 in 1910. We are not sure if he lived with the Castaldi’s or the D’Ambra’s. He returned to his parents’ home in Philadelphia, PA, USA in 1913
I would appreciate any information on them that you can supply or direct me to someone who can help me in my search for ancestry information. Thank you very much for your time and patience.
Sincerely,
Joanne Castaldi Navarro
211 Jordan Drive
Gilbertsville, Pa 19525
jojosew@comcast.net
This is how Babelfish translated it:
Caro signore o signora,
Non capisco l'italiano in modo da scrivo in inglese e lo faccio tradurre da un calcolatore; Spero che possiate capire questo. Sto provando a trovare qualcuno che possa fornire me le informazioni o dirmi dove chiedere la nascita o i certificati di morte, o a tutti i censes 1800 -1870 della famiglia.
I miei grandparents fraterni entrambi sono stati sopportati in d'Ischia di Forio. Sono stati sposati a Filadelfia, PA, S.U.A. giugno del 1896. Il mio nonno, Giovonni Giuseppe Castaldi era giugno nato del 1858, a Nunziata ed a Raffaele Castaldi. L'unico l'altro bambino che posso trovare è un altro figlio chiamato Luigi sopportato in 1854. Se avessero altri bambini, non posso trovarlo negli Stati Uniti, devo rimanere in Ischia per vivere. Devo conoscere che parrocchia provenivano nel d'Ischia di Forio, se possibile, in modo da posso scrivere loro.
La mia nonna era Maria D'Ambra sopportato dicembre del 1878, il suo padre era Luigi D'Ambra e la sua madre può essere chiamata Maria anche. Ha avuta un fratello Michaelangelo sopportato 1880 e una sorella Frances sopportato 1882. Il loro figlio Salvatore è stato trasmesso di nuovo a Ischia allo studio nella chiesa della parrocchia all'età di 10 di 1910. Non siamo sicuri se vivesse con il Castaldi o il D'Ambra. Ha rinviato ai suoi genitori a casa a Filadelfia, PA, S.U.A. in 1913.
Apprezzerei loro tutte le informazioni che potete fornirli o dirigere verso qualcuno che potesse aiutarlo nella mia ricerca delle informazioni di ascendenza. Grazie molto per il vostri tempo e pazienza.
Cordiali saluti,
Is this ok? Let me know , thanks, Joanne
- Molisana1973
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 16 Oct 2006, 00:00
- Location: Bavaria/Germany
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Hi Joanne,
This is what I thought;-) Something is right, and something is wrong. hihi, I have an idea. Maybe Franco ( my boyfriend) can translate it in dialect. Most of the old people who know something speak dialect at Ischia.I hope he can do it on weekend.The problem of the translations is, that babelfish and the others translate it from english, not from american. and the words are sometimes different.And if you write how you speak, there are a lot of mistakes in the italian translation. Some sentences you must change to get a right translation. If it's okay for you, we translate it, and send it to Forio. but I give them my adress and translate the answers for you and send the answers translated at your mailadress. is this okay for you?
Best wisches
Angie
This is what I thought;-) Something is right, and something is wrong. hihi, I have an idea. Maybe Franco ( my boyfriend) can translate it in dialect. Most of the old people who know something speak dialect at Ischia.I hope he can do it on weekend.The problem of the translations is, that babelfish and the others translate it from english, not from american. and the words are sometimes different.And if you write how you speak, there are a lot of mistakes in the italian translation. Some sentences you must change to get a right translation. If it's okay for you, we translate it, and send it to Forio. but I give them my adress and translate the answers for you and send the answers translated at your mailadress. is this okay for you?
Best wisches
Angie
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Hi Angelina,
Thant is fine with me and no rush. Thanks,
Joanne
Thant is fine with me and no rush. Thanks,
Joanne
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Happy New Year !ischia wrote:Hi Angelina,
Thant is fine with me and no rush. Thanks,
Joanne
Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo
Joanne - I too am looking for Castaldi and D'Ambro from Forio. After reading your post it looks like there is some kind of relationship here. My father, Dominic Castaldi was born to Giovanni and Assunta (Dambro) Castaldi. Isn't that odd?? Dominic was born in 1923. In the 1930 census it states his father as 46 making him about 1894 for a birth. He arrived in US in 1905. Giovanni and Assunta had 11 children, 10 who lived. I also know that we had Dambro's from Philadelphia as relatives. What do you know? I live in Media. 
