Sicilian DNA

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Sicilian DNA

Post by Lenauk »

darkerhorse wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 01:12 Using which testing company?
Geneplaza given me that result
Vahaduo given me Imperial Roman ( from Lazio ) +minor Levant from Sidon which apparently is Neolithic ( the Canaanite markers are actually from South Anatolia )

So I am basically Anatolian +South West/South East European in part.

To entertain the fact that any people in the Levant even one's with pre historic DNA, or even share their haplogroups with the Crusades or be indistinguishable from Maltese males is simply laughable. We are close to Greek Cypriots because they too have a similar South European ( mainly I am guessing Greek ) and Anatolian mix at least that's what they found in their male lines.
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

darkerhorse wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 21:46 Does anyone recommend anything else for DNA testing than 23andMe for detecting Sicilian ethnicity?
Geneplaza.

Vahaduo and DNA land are also good and better than Ged Match and 23&me.

Vahaduo and DNA land go back 6 plus generations and will also pick up certain things that Ged match can't and don't. Like for example someone I know got a very Baltic score on Ged but when he uploaded it onto DNA land minor other things were spotted, including him being 4 percent Ashkenazi.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

So here is an example of a DNAland report that Lenauk referred to (this is from my Ancestry test; I haven't uploaded the 23 & Me test yet).

You can see the breakdowns. On their map, "Mediterranean Islander" is the toe of Italy, Sicily and Cyprus (including a small wedge of Turkey north of Cyprus). You can see on my report it's 19%.

I'm in process of doing the 23 & Me report now. I'll be curious if/how it differs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

MarcuccioV wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 15:26 So here is an example of a DNAland report that Lenauk referred to (this is from my Ancestry test; I haven't uploaded the 23 & Me test yet).

You can see the breakdowns. On their map, "Mediterranean Islander" is the toe of Italy, Sicily and Cyprus (including a small wedge of Turkey north of Cyprus). You can see on my report it's 19%.

I'm in process of doing the 23 & Me report now. I'll be curious if/how it differs.
And where did your Ged match plot you? Also, 21 percent Ashkenazi? Are you also 1/4 Jewish. If you are fully Italian and have that score it really surprised me.
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

Also, I dislike the Ashkenazi/Levantine banter. Even Greek Cypriots are more Levantine than Ashkenazis. Ashkenazis are mainland South European Semitic mixed
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

This was mine. The Arab/Egyptian is probably just some Neolithic Levant/North Africa. ( my Canaanite sample comes from South Anatolia )
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

West Eurasian 100% South European 37% South/Central European 29%
Balkan 7.8%
Northwest European 25%
Arab/Egyptian 11%
Mediterranean Islander 9.2%
Southwestern European 8.7% Southwestern European 4.5%
Sardinian 4.2%
Central Indoeuropean 5.1%
Central Asian 3.6% Indus Valley 1.9%
Indo-Iranian 1.8%
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Lenauk wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 15:56
MarcuccioV wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 15:26 So here is an example of a DNAland report that Lenauk referred to (this is from my Ancestry test; I haven't uploaded the 23 & Me test yet).

And where did your Ged match plot you? Also, 21 percent Ashkenazi? Are you also 1/4 Jewish. If you are fully Italian and have that score it really surprised me.
Lenauk,

It's 2.1% Ashkenazi (as part of the 21% Levantine). Other matrices show me as having Syrian/Lebanese, which accounts for the 18.9%). My grandfather (who I believe carried most of the Southern Italian, Med/West Asian) looked Lebanese. My wife had a Lebanese uncle by marriage and the two men could have passed as brothers...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Also the Ashkenazi COULD be related to some of the Germanic branches deeper on my father's side (there are several). But I'm certain most of that 21% Levantine is Lebanese...

My GEDmatch results were very similar to this, depending on which matrix you looked at. No real contradictions anywhere.

I'm half-Italian on my mother's side. Many of the matrices show between 5-15% Italian on my father's side, but as yet no evidence within the paper trails. My dad and 2 of his 5 brothers had olive skin (tanned extremely dark). Check out my thread in this forum under "Ethnicity vs skin tone"...
Mark

mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

I’m 1/4 Sicilian (maternal grandfather). A couple of years ago, I uploaded my raw DNA to MyHeritage from 23andMe. The result was 18.8% “Greek and South Italian” as well as 4.1% “Italian”. Then, a few months ago, I did same with my Ancestry Raw data (separate test - everyone knows Ancestry and 23andMe don’t share that data). Those results indicate 20.7% and 1.5%, respectively. Not terribly different.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

And here is my 23 & me DNAland report. Some differences, but basically in the same neighborhood...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I'm getting closer to making a decision on DNA testing.

I appreciate the responses.

Does anyone else want to weigh in?

I'd be especially interested in what a native-born Sicilian or native-born Italian has to say on the matter.
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

MarcuccioV wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 16:33
Lenauk wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 15:56

Lenauk,

It's 2.1% Ashkenazi (as part of the 21% Levantine). Other matrices show me as having Syrian/Lebanese, which accounts for the 18.9%). My grandfather (who I believe carried most of the Southern Italian, Med/West Asian) looked Lebanese. My wife had a Lebanese uncle by marriage and the two men could have passed as brothers...
That makes a lot more sense. I know South Europeans can also get some Levantine but they for some reason mark it as Arab/Egyptian/Levant on DNA land, 23 and Me and also Geneplaza. I guess the Ashkenazi threw me off.

Funny, often people mistake me as French/Italian.

Did you try Vadahou? It will tell you what your Levantine side is from? In my case, my South European was almost all from Lazio/Italy and my so called Levantine/Ancient Egyptian was from Sidon. Herodotus said that the Phoenicians from Sidon/Tyre were different to those from Syria.

My Levantine marker from Sidon is from the Bronze Age, therefore Neolithic.

Apparently this Sidon marker is shared with all ancient Mediterranean populations. I'd be interested to see where, exactly, you'd get your Levantine heritage from.

Target: Lena_Mom
Distance: 1.1993% / 1.19925081 | ADC: 0.25x
34.2 R68_Lazio_Rome_Roman_Imperial
26.8 R76_Lazio_Rome_Roman_Imperial
14.0 Sidon_BA_ERS1790729_
13.0 R1550_Lazio_Rome_Roman_Imperial
5.4 R1543_Lazio_Rome_Roman_Imperial
3.6 R42_Lazio_Rome_Roman_Imperial
1.6 Khoesan_Hunter_South_Africa_2100BP.SG_2103_ybp
1.4 I3726_Tanzania_Luxmanda_3100BP_3079_ybp

http://vahaduo.genetics.ovh/k13_ancient-vahaduo.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5544389/

Information about Sidon_BA Neolithic markers, here.

So, what is your known ancestry are you fully Italian or what?
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

You said that you are half is the other side Lebanese or something else?
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

darkerhorse wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 23:37 I'm getting closer to making a decision on DNA testing.

I appreciate the responses.

Does anyone else want to weigh in?

I'd be especially interested in what a native-born Sicilian or native-born Italian has to say on the matter.
Sicilians are close to Maltese or so I have heard.