Sicilian DNA

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: Sicilian DNA

Post by MarcuccioV »

Lenauk wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 01:30 You said that you are half is the other side Lebanese or something else?
My mother's side is predominately Italian (including Sicilian, and the West Asian /Mediterranean/Levantine medley).

My father's side is the mystery. On paper it is predominately UK, with some NW Eur/Germanic & a shade of French & Scandinavian.

By DNA it is 10-30% Italian/Med/W Asian/Levantine. But I can't find it in the paper trail. He & 2 of his brothers were olivine (again, check out the 'Ethnicity vs skin tone' thread in this forum)...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

So your mum is half Lebanese and half Sicilian? Have you tried the Vahadou cal to see where your Levant is from? I would be curious to see.

It is nice to meet you.
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

My mum's family are mixed some have olive coloured skin, brown or black hair with hazel amber eyes and some are blonde with blue eyes and white skin.

My skin is very pale and my eyes are amber ( brown with yellow and green ) my hair is brown with red and blonde steaks. Whereas my brother's skin is very pale pasty white but he has black hair and eyes.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Lenauk wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 02:39 So your mum is half Lebanese and half Sicilian? Have you tried the Vahadou cal to see where your Levant is from? I would be curious to see.

It is nice to meet you.
No, she was a combo of mostly southern Italian, some northern Italian, some Sicilian & traces of the Med/Levantine. My grandfather (her father) carried the Lebanese (what small percentage there is) and Sicilian, but it's mixed with ancestry from Puglia, Campania, Abruzzo & Lazio. My grandparents were both born in the same small town SE of Rome. My grandmother favored the north, & almost looked Swiss, but my mtDNA haplogroup (U3b) suggests she may have had Jordanian or Romani in her female line.

Glad you're here.
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

MarcuccioV wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 02:47
Lenauk wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 02:39 So your mum is half Lebanese and half Sicilian? Have you tried the Vahadou cal to see where your Levant is from? I would be curious to see.

It is nice to meet you.
No, she was a combo of mostly southern Italian, some northern Italian, some Sicilian & traces of the Med/Levantine. My grandfather (her father) carried the Lebanese (what small percentage there is) and Sicilian, but it's mixed with ancestry from Puglia, Campania, Abruzzo & Lazio. My grandparents were both born in the same small town SE of Rome. My grandmother favored the north, & almost looked Swiss, but my mtDNA haplogroup (U3b) suggests she may have had Jordanian or Romani in her female line.

Glad you're here.
Ok. But I mean, U3b is not from Jordan or Romani. U haplogroups are the only known haplogroups that exist in Europe that didn't come from pockets of the Near or Middle East during Neolithic.

Perhaps as you say they are just Neolithic/Levantine.
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

Please when you can try Vadahou as I'd like to see where the do called Levantine in your heritage comes from.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Lenauk wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 02:59 Please when you can try Vadahou as I'd like to see where the do called Levantine in your heritage comes from.
I'll give it a shot. My research says U3b IS Romani & Jordanian (founder population). It is an extremely rare haplogroup.
Mark

Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

MarcuccioV wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 05:08
Lenauk wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 02:59 Please when you can try Vadahou as I'd like to see where the do called Levantine in your heritage comes from.
I'll give it a shot. My research says U3b IS Romani & Jordanian (founder population). It is an extremely rare haplogroup.
How would they link Romani populations to Jordan? And also yes please try as haplogroups are only a tiny amount of your ancestry anyway, it's better to do autosomal and haplogroups.
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

I have just given you the instructions on how to use the Vahaduo cals in private messaging. :)
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Lenauk wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 09:43
How would they link Romani populations to Jordan? And also yes please try as haplogroups are only a tiny amount of your ancestry anyway, it's better to do autosomal and haplogroups.
U3b is Romani in origin. A 'founder' group broke off and settled near the Dead Sea in Jordan. It is found in less than 2% of the Italian population.
Mark

Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

MarcuccioV wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 15:02

U3b is Romani in origin. A 'founder' group broke off and settled near the Dead Sea in Jordan. It is found in less than 2% of the Italian population.

Please show me the link for that
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Lenauk wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 16:14
MarcuccioV wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 15:02

Please show me the link for that
https://www.academia.edu/8436394/Origin ... _U3_mtDNA_
Mark

Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

U3B1C is found in Gypsies is that the subclade you have? Anyway, it's a generally Near Eastern Caucasian subclade, which isn't unusual at all.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Lenauk wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 18:34 U3B1C is found in Gypsies is that the subclade you have? Anyway, it's a generally Near Eastern Caucasian subclade, which isn't unusual at all.
I don't know the full subclade yet. I have the FTDNA mtDNA test here, but I haven't sent it in yet. It's a rare haplogroup in Italy, and yes, my ethnic makeup includes some Anatolian.
Mark

Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

MarcuccioV wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 18:38
Lenauk wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 18:34 U3B1C is found in Gypsies is that the subclade you have? Anyway, it's a generally Near Eastern Caucasian subclade, which isn't unusual at all.
I don't know the full subclade yet. I have the FTDNA mtDNA test here, but I haven't sent it in yet. It's a rare haplogroup in Italy, and yes, my ethnic makeup includes some Anatolian.
∼3,700-year-old individuals from the city of Sidon, a major Canaanite city-state on the Eastern Mediterranean coast. We also sequenced the genomes of 99 individuals from present-day Lebanon to catalog modern Levantine genetic diversity. We find that a Bronze Age Canaanite-related ancestry was widespread in the region, shared among urban populations inhabiting the coast (Sidon) and inland populations (Jordan) who likely lived in farming societies or were pastoral nomads.

Your Levant ancestry is from Sidon like mine so it's basically from Neolithic farmers. I doubt it's Gypsy or Jordanian, as it's coming from the Bronze Age....
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5544389/