How to get proof of Divorce in New York City, ~1973

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 14
Joined: 19 Mar 2010, 18:41

How to get proof of Divorce in New York City, ~1973

Post by newyorker »

Hello all,

Apologies if this question has been answered; I did try a search first but didn't find what I was looking for.

I am pulling together paperwork for joint citizenship. I've found birth records, marriage records, etc. going back to my great-great-grandparents, but never dreamed that the hardest record to get a hold of would be my (living) parents' divorce record! Neither of them remember the exact date or even year of their divorce, which was around 1972-1973.

Without an exact date, they can't order it online from Vital Records. I tried searching various municipal websites for guidance, but they lead me in circles.

Can anyone advise me on who to contact, and what exactly we should ask for?

Thanks so much,

User avatar
Posts: 218
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 12:54
Location: Australia

Re: How to get proof of Divorce in New York City, ~1973

Post by arturo.c »

According to what I found on the internet, the only courts that handle divorce cases in the State of New York are the Supreme Courts of the respective counties.

Copies of divorce judgments or other written orders in divorce cases can be obtained from the County Clerk, however, there is a fee for a "certified" copy.

Copies of documents (other than the Judgment of Divorce itself) can only be obtained by one of the parties or an attorney who is representing one of the parties.

Divorce records are not open to public inspection.

If you know you that your parents were divorced in New York some time ago, but cannot remember in which county, contact the County Clerk of the county where they were living at the time of their divorce, or try the County Clerks of neighboring counties. If you are unsuccessful, you can also try getting a divorce certificate from the New York State Department of Health, however, the Department of Health charges a fee for this service.

Post Reply