Improve This 1811 Riveli Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Improve This 1811 Riveli Translation

Post by darkerhorse »

Anyone want to take a crack at improving this 1811 Riveli translation?
Sebastiano Pitruzzello Riveli 1811a.jpg
Sebastiano Pitruzzello Riveli 1811b.jpg

Sebastiano Pitruzzello – 1811 Riveli

Rivelo

Property Tax Declaration

Che presenta Sebastiano Pitruzzello di Metti alla deputazione de Reggi donatioi di suddetta di Metti tatto qtto che ogni anno conseguisce di frutto dalle infratto beni allodiali

Presented by Sebastiano Pitruzzello of Metti to the Deputation of the Kingdom as a donation of the aforementioned of Metti, [tatto qtto] which every year results from the return on the allodial property herein

Possiede a censo antico un giardino con tumoli quattro di terre spettanti a lo giardino esnti del feudo di S. Caterini Terrio di suddetta di Metti confi da parte al potente alla strat ppd di esso feudo dal levante alla Giajera dal mezzo giorno col giradino di Sebastiano Sanzaro ed all tramontana col giardino di esso rivelante

He owns per bygone census a garden with four tumuli of lands belonging (up) to the garden [located] in the manor of S. Caterini Territory of the aforementioned Metti bordering on the west with the public road of this manor, on the east with the Giajera, on the south with the garden of Sebastiano Sanzaro, and on the north with the garden of his declaration

Quale giardino e terre sono state tenute in economia e volendosi gabellare

sudetta rivelante con giuramento ??? potessi gabellare ogni anno per onze quindici
Which garden and lands have been held in business and wanting to pay duty under the aforementioned declaration with allegiance (under oath) I could pay duty each year of fifteen onze

Piu possiede altro giardino anche a censo antico feudo confe dal potente con strata ppda di esso figo dal levante col giardino di Maestro Sebastiano LaBella sal mezzo giorno col giradino di esso rivelante ed alla tramontana con terre del Cavaliere D Luiggi Pericontari che e stato tenute in economia gabellandosi con giuramento ??? poter dare la rendita ogni anno tanto sudo giardino qnto colle terre agettanti? allo stesso la rendita d’onze sei e tari sei

And, he owns another garden also by bygone census (environs) in the manor bordering on the west with the public road of this [figo], on the east with the garden of Maestro Sebastiano LaBella, on the south with the garden of this declaration, and on the north with lands of the Knight Don Luiggi Pericontari which has been held in business by remittance (duty) by allegiance (under oath) I would be able to give revenue each more year aforementioned garden amount with [jutting] lands? similarly the revenue of six onze and six tari

E finalamente possiede una chiusa di terre qnod nel feudo della mezza Montagna terrio di ??? di Metti confi dal mezzo giorno colla trazzera ppd dal levante con terre del ??? Med D. Gaetano Rizzo dalla tramontana con terre di Emanuele Barone e dal potent con terre di Biaggio Pulizzi

And finally, he owns a closure of lands formerly in the manor of Mezza Montagna territory of ??? of Metti bordering on the south with the public path, on the east with lands of ??? Don Gaetano Rizzo, on the north with lands of Emanuele Barone, and on the west with lands of Biaggio Pulizzi

Quale e stata tenuta in economia e gabellandosi con giuramento ??? potere date la rendita in ogni anno onza una e venticinque tari

Which has been held in business and remitted under oath ??? I would be able to give revenue in each year of one onza and 25 tari

??? totale 23 1
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Improve This 1811 Riveli Translation

Post by PippoM »

darkerhorse wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 23:26 Not so sure, but I try

Rivelo

Property Tax Declaration

Che presenta Sebastiano Pitruzzello di Metti alla deputazione de Reggi donativi di suddetta di Metti sotto g(iuramen)to (?) che ogni anno conseguisce di frutto dalle infra(scri)tti beni allodiali

Presented by Sebastiano Pitruzzello of Metti to the Deputation of the Kingdom as a donation of the aforementioned of Metti, [tatto qtto] which every year results from the return on the allodial property herein

Possiede a censo enf(iteut)ico un giardino con tumoli quattro di terre spettanti a d(ett)o giardino es(iste)nti nel feudo di S. Caterini Terri(tori)o di suddetta di Metti conf(inant)i da parte del ponente alla strata pubblica (?) di esso feudo dal levante alla Giajera dal mezzo giorno col giardino di Sebastiano Sanzaro e dalla tramontana col giardino di esso rivelante

He owns per bygone census a garden with four tumuli of lands belonging (up) to the garden [located] in the manor of S. Caterini Territory of the aforementioned Metti bordering on the west with the public road of this manor, on the east with the Giajera, on the south with the garden of Sebastiano Sanzaro, and on the north with the garden of his declaration

sudetta rivelante con giuramento ass(icur)a? potersi gabellare ogni anno per onze quindici
Which garden and lands have been held in business and wanting to pay duty under the aforementioned declaration with allegiance (under oath) I could pay duty each year of fifteen onze

Piu possiede altro giardino anche a censo enf(iteut)ico es(iste)nte in d(ett)o feudo conf(inant)e dal ponente con strata p(ubbli)ca ?di esso Feudo (?) dal levante col giardino di Maestro Sebastiano LaBella dal mezzo giorno col giardino di esso rivelante ed alla tramontana con terre del Cavaliere D Luiggi Pericontari che e stato tenute in economia gabellandosi con giuramento ass(icur)a poter dare la rendita ogni anno tanto sud(dett)o giardino q(ua)nto colle terre spettanti allo stesso la rendita d’onze sei e tari sei

And, he owns another garden also by bygone census (environs) in the manor bordering on the west with the public road of this [figo], on the east with the garden of Maestro Sebastiano LaBella, on the south with the garden of this declaration, and on the north with lands of the Knight Don Luiggi Pericontari which has been held in business by remittance (duty) by allegiance (under oath) I would be able to give revenue each more year aforementioned garden amount with [jutting] lands? similarly the revenue of six onze and six tari

E finalmente possiede una chiusa di terre es(iste)ntenel feudo della mezza Montagna terr(itor)io di d(ett)a di Metti conf(inant)e dal mezzo giorno colla trazzera p(ubbli)ca ? dal levante con terre del ?d(otto)r in Med(icina) ? D. Gaetano Rizzo dalla tramontana con terre di Emanuele Barone e dal ponente con terre di Biaggio Pulizzi

And finally, he owns a closure of lands formerly in the manor of Mezza Montagna territory of ??? of Metti bordering on the south with the public path, on the east with lands of ??? Don Gaetano Rizzo, on the north with lands of Emanuele Barone, and on the west with lands of Biaggio Pulizzi

Quale e stata tenuta in economia e gabellandosi con giuramento ass(icurar)e potere dare la rendita in ogni anno onza una e venticinque tari

Which has been held in business and remitted under oath ??? I would be able to give revenue in each year of one onza and 25 tari

??? totale 23 1
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran

Post by arturo.c »

Would it be possible to see the original document, maybe through a link? Some words in the Italian text make no sense.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

PippoM wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 09:10

Rivelo

Property Tax Declaration

Che presenta Sebastiano Pitruzzello di Metti alla deputazione de Reggi donativi di suddetta di Metti sotto g(iuramen)to (?) che ogni anno conseguisce di frutto dalle infra(scri)tti beni allodiali

Possiede a censo enf(iteut)ico un giardino con tumoli quattro di terre spettanti a d(ett)o giardino es(iste)nti nel feudo di S. Caterini Terri(tori)o di suddetta di Metti conf(inant)i da parte del ponente alla strata pubblica (?) di esso feudo dal levante alla Giajera dal mezzo giorno col giardino di Sebastiano Sanzaro e dalla tramontana col giardino di esso rivelante

sudetta rivelante con giuramento ass(icur)a? potersi gabellare ogni anno per onze quindici

Piu possiede altro giardino anche a censo enf(iteut)ico es(iste)nte in d(ett)o feudo conf(inant)e dal ponente con strata p(ubbli)ca ?di esso Feudo (?) dal levante col giardino di Maestro Sebastiano LaBella dal mezzo giorno col giardino di esso rivelante ed alla tramontana con terre del Cavaliere D Luiggi Pericontari che e stato tenute in economia gabellandosi con giuramento ass(icur)a poter dare la rendita ogni anno tanto sud(dett)o giardino q(ua)nto colle terre spettanti allo stesso la rendita d’onze sei e tari sei

E finalmente possiede una chiusa di terre es(iste)ntenel feudo della mezza Montagna terr(itor)io di d(ett)a di Metti conf(inant)e dal mezzo giorno colla trazzera p(ubbli)ca ? dal levante con terre del ?d(otto)r in Med(icina) ? D. Gaetano Rizzo dalla tramontana con terre di Emanuele Barone e dal ponente con terre di Biaggio Pulizzi

Quale e stata tenuta in economia e gabellandosi con giuramento ass(icurar)e potere dare la rendita in ogni anno onza una e venticinque tari

??? totale 23 1
That's very helpful. Any thoughts on the English translation?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

arturo.c wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:15 Would it be possible to see the original document, maybe through a link? Some words in the Italian text make no sense.
No link is available. I downloaded the documents from a FHC. They are not available online for the general public.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

PippoM wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 09:10 These are not words I am used to, but I try to translate

Rivelo

Property Tax Declaration

Presented by Sebastiano Pitruzzello of Metti to the Royal Deputation of Contributions of the aforementioned (town) of Metti, swearing how much he gets every year from such allodial property

He owns by emphyteusis a garden of four tumuli of lands belonging (up) to the garden [located] in the fief of S. Caterini in the Territory of the aforementioned Metti bordering on the west with the public road of this manor, on the east with the Giajera, on the south with the garden of Sebastiano Sanzaro, and on the north with the garden of the declarant

sudetta rivelante con giuramento ass(icur)a potersi gabellare ogni anno per onze quindici
Such garden and lands have been held in business and , as taxes have to be paid, the aforementioned declarant (under oath) says he could pay fifteen onze each year as a duty.

And, he owns another garden also by emphyteusis in said fief, bordering on the west with the public road of this fief (this must be a typo), on the east with the garden of Maestro Sebastiano LaBella, on the south with the garden of said declarant, and on the north with lands of the Knight Don Luiggi Pericontari which has been held in business, and says under oath, that such garden and lands can yield six onze and six tari every year

E finalmente possiede una chiusa di terre es(iste)nte nel feudo della mezza Montagna terr(itor)io di d(ett)a di Metti conf(inant)e dal mezzo giorno colla trazzera p(ubbli)ca ? dal levante con terre del ?d(otto)r in Med(icina) ? D. Gaetano Rizzo dalla tramontana con terre di Emanuele Barone e dal ponente con terre di Biaggio Pulizzi

And finally, he owns fenced lands in the manor of Mezza Montagna territory of said town of Metti bordering on the south with the public path, on the east with lands of the Physician Don Gaetano Rizzo, on the north with lands of Emanuele Barone, and on the west with lands of Biaggio Pulizzi

Which has been held in business and and says under oath, that such garden and lands can yield one onza and twenty-five tari every year

??? totale 23 1

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Thorough job. Thanks.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

This record is in the section for a town named Melilli. I find no town named Metti in the area. Metti sounds like the word for place but I'm thinking what we read as Metti is probably Melilli written hurriedly.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I have two candidates for the property owner.

One is 45 years old whose father was deceased, and the other is 20 years old whose father was living.

I have some limited information on their occupations and residences but can't find it. I recall the 20 year-old was recorded as a shepherd for most of his life, though the earliest record in 1820 lists him as a farmer, I believe.

Of course, I'm guessing that it's the 45 year-old.

Is the property relatively valuable, especially given he has a knight and physician for neighbors?
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran

Post by arturo.c »

PippoM wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 09:10

Rivelo

Property Tax Declaration

Presented by Sebastiano Pitruzzello of Metti to the Deputation of the Kingdom as a donation of the aforementioned of Metti, under oath which every year results from the return on the udal property herein.

Possiede a censo enf(iteut)ico un giardino con tumoli quattro di terre spettanti a d(ett)o giardino es(iste)nti nel feudo di S. Caterini Terri(tori)o di suddetta di Metti conf(inant)i da parte del ponente alla strata pubblica (?) di esso feudo dal levante alla Giajera dal mezzo giorno col giardino di Sebastiano Sanzaro e dalla tramontana col giardino di esso rivelante.

He owns per emphyteutic census a garden with four tumuli of land belonging (up) to the garden [located] in the fee of S. Caterini Territory of the aforementioned Metti bordering on the west with the public road of this manor, on the east with the Giajera, on the south with the garden of Sebastiano Sanzaro, and on the north with the garden of the declarant.

Quale giardino e terre sono state tenute in economia e volendosi gabellare sudetto rivelante con giuramento ass(icur)a? potersi gabellare ogni anno per onze quindici

Which garden and lands have been held in business and wanting to pay duty under the aforementioned declaration with allegiance (under oath) I could pay duty each year of fifteen ounces.

(In) Più possiede altro giardino anche a censo enf(iteut)ico es(iste)nte in d(ett)o feudo conf(inant)e dal ponente con strata p(ubbli)ca ?di esso feudo(?) dal levante col giardino di Maestro Sebastiano LaBella dal mezzogiorno col giardino di esso rivelante ed alla tramontana con terre del Cavaliere D Luiggi Pericontari che è stato tenuto in economia gabellandosi con giuramento ass(icur)a poter dare la rendita ogni anno tanto sud(dett)o giardino q(ua)nto colle terre spettanti allo stesso la rendita d’onze sei e tarì sei

And, he owns another garden also by emphyteutic census located in said fee bordering on the west with the public road of this fee, on the east with the garden of Master Sebastiano LaBella, on the south with the garden of this declaration, and on the north with lands of the Knight Don Luiggi Pericontari which has been held in business by remittance (duty) by allegiance (under oath) I would be able to give revenue each more year aforementioned garden amount with [jutting] lands? similarly the revenue of six ounces and six tari.

E finalmente possiede una chiusa di terre es(iste)ntenel feudo della mezza Montagna terr(itor)io di d(ett)a di Metti conf(inant)e dal mezzo giorno colla trazzera p(ubbli)ca ? dal levante con terre del ?d(otto)r in Med(icina)? D. Gaetano Rizzo dalla tramontana con terre di Emanuele Barone e dal ponente con terre di Biaggio Pulizzi

And finally, he owns a closure of lands formerly in the manor of Mezza Montagna territory of said Metti bordering on the south with the public path, on the east with lands of Medicine Doctor Don Gaetano Rizzo, on the north with lands of Emanuele Barone, and on the west with lands of Biaggio Pulizzi

Which has been held in business and remitted under oath assures to be able to give revenue in each year of one ounce and 25 tari.

??? totale 231
Please note that the "tumuli" (or "tomoli") mentioned in the document are an ancient land measurement unit, and the local currency Onza (or "oncia") was worth 30 "tarì".
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

darkerhorse wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 15:15 This record is in the section for a town named Melilli. I find no town named Metti in the area. Metti sounds like the word for place but I'm thinking what we read as Metti is probably Melilli written hurriedly.
Yes, I think we commented that in another thread.
It's not a double "t", yet a double "l", surmounted by an abbreviation mark.

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

PippoM wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 08:41
darkerhorse wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 15:15 This record is in the section for a town named Melilli. I find no town named Metti in the area. Metti sounds like the word for place but I'm thinking what we read as Metti is probably Melilli written hurriedly.
Yes, I think we commented that in another thread.
It's not a double "t", yet a double "l", surmounted by an abbreviation mark.
Yes, you're right we covered that before. It's got to be Melilli.

Any thoughts on which of the two candidates it was?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

[/quote]

Please note that the "tumuli" (or "tomoli") mentioned in the document are an ancient land measurement unit, and the local currency Onza (or "oncia") was worth 30 "tarì".
[/quote]

What is a tumulo equivalent to in today's land measurement?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

The extent of one "tomolo" varied depending on the area (province).
In Siracusa it corresponds to 1744 square metres.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomolo#:~ ... %B2molo%20(anche%20t%C3%B9mulo%2C%20t%C3%B9mminu,seminare%20una%20tomolata%20di%20terra.

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Sounds like less one tomolo was just less than half (.43) of an acre.