Why Y-DNA Haplogroup?

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: Why Y-DNA Haplogroup?

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 20:21 Why wouldn't it be everybody's best bet?
It would be, unless you were seeking more ancient origins...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Speaking of ancient origins, this is a photo of my two oldest male ancestors on my direct paternal line who would share the same Y haplogroup as me.

Do you detect any olive skin?
Image-four-731w.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I'd be more concerned about the prominent brow than the olive skin... :lol: :wink:
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

My Y haplogroup appears to have made it's way from Eurasia to Scotland in ancient times.

Being full-Sicilian on my parental side it was disappointing, like hearing you were adopted and not really the ethnicity you thought you were. By available paper trail my surname line is in Sicily back to the 1700s. I was hoping for deeper roots in Italy.

Nothing against Scotland, I think it's better than a lot of alternatives.

What have other Sicilian males in this forum found for ancient origins of their Y DNA halopgroup? Has anyone found deeper roots closer to Sicily? Or, is what I've found the common result?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 20:08 My Y haplogroup appears to have made it's way from Eurasia to Scotland in ancient times.

Being full-Sicilian on my parental side it was disappointing, like hearing you were adopted and not really the ethnicity you thought you were. By available paper trail my surname line is in Sicily back to the 1700s. I was hoping for deeper roots in Italy.
Since Y-DNA is a strictly male line, then either the Sicilian surname was "Italianized" from the Scottish, or a 'new' surname was adopted based on appearance, ie: (Barbarossa, 'redbeard'; Biondo, 'blonde'), faculty (Marinaio, 'sailor'; Soldato 'soldier') or ethnicity (Scozzese, 'Scot'), etc.

I have to assume no foundling names such as Trovato, Esposito or Proietti...

Do any of these apply to your paternal surname..?
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

No. It's a patronymic surname

If the Scottish origin is accurate, then my guess is that they probably left Scotland and entered Sicily well before surnames were first in use, which I think was around the 15th century.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I should have said entered Italy, as they might have come to Sicily after residing in the southern mainland. Just a possibility, no evidence.

I wonder if anyone uses a psychic to divine ethnic origins or family histories.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 02:11 No. It's a patronymic surname

If the Scottish origin is accurate, then my guess is that they probably left Scotland and entered Sicily well before surnames were first in use, which I think was around the 15th century.
Makes sense then. I was using your reference to the 18th century as a guide...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I assume the surname was invented in Italy.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

My Sicilian paternal line has Y haplogroup R-M269 or R-L1066.1.

I read that about 25% of Sicilian men have it. It's much more prevalent in the western part of the island but my family came from the eastern part, so I'm beginning to wonder if they originated in the west.

Does anyone else with a Sicilian paternal line have Y haplogroup R-M269 or R-L1066.1?
BosseDorotea

Post by BosseDorotea »

Loving the conversation.
Quite productive and helpful for a number of things
Boscher

Post by Boscher »

Perhaps not surprising to find L1066 in Sicily. My parental line (L1066) comes from Cornwall UK but on doing the BigY I discovered my closest matches were to two men with Norman-style patronymic surnames. So my line may relate to the Norman conquest of the UK. This would mean that L1066 started as a mutation in Britain (ancient DNA from Lothian, Scotland 1,400 BC) but some holders of this line of descent then moved over to mainland Europe ( perhaps via Scandinavia as it was also found in Oland, Sweden) only for their descendants to return centuries later.
I say 'not surprising' as of course Sicily had a strong Norman history so I wonder if your L1066 might also have a connection to the Normans?
LordVishnu

Post by LordVishnu »

Y-DNA haplogroups are like branches on the family tree. The Y chromosome is passed from father to son, so the haplogroup can be used to trace the paternal line.
R-M269I is the more specific haplogroup. R-L1066.1 is a branch of R-M269I.
The difference in reporting is probably due to a difference in the level of detail that each company reports. 23andMe probably reports R-M269I because it is more specific. Family Tree probably reports R-L1066.1 because it is more common.GB Whatsapp
juliet777

Post by juliet777 »

Y-DNA haplogroups are used to track the paternal lineage of individuals and populations. The Y chromosome is passed down from father to son, so it can be used to trace the ancestry of male individuals. The Y chromosome does not recombine with other chromosomes during meiosis, which means that it is largely passed down intact from one generation to the next. This allows scientists to identify mutations and changes in the Y chromosome that occur over time, and to use these changes to create a phylogenetic tree of human Y-DNA haplogroups.

Y-DNA haplogroups can be used to track migrations and population movements over time. By analyzing the distribution of different haplogroups in different populations, scientists can gain insights into the origins and movements of human populations. For example, the presence of certain Y-DNA haplogroups in Europe suggests that these populations migrated there from the Middle East, while the presence of other haplogroups in Central Asia indicates that these populations may have originated in Siberia.

Y-DNA haplogroups can also be used in genealogical research to help individuals trace their paternal ancestry. By identifying their haplogroup, individuals can learn more about the origins and migration patterns of their paternal ancestors, which can be helpful in genealogical research.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Boscher wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 14:41 Perhaps not surprising to find L1066 in Sicily. My parental line (L1066) comes from Cornwall UK but on doing the BigY I discovered my closest matches were to two men with Norman-style patronymic surnames. So my line may relate to the Norman conquest of the UK. This would mean that L1066 started as a mutation in Britain (ancient DNA from Lothian, Scotland 1,400 BC) but some holders of this line of descent then moved over to mainland Europe ( perhaps via Scandinavia as it was also found in Oland, Sweden) only for their descendants to return centuries later.
I say 'not surprising' as of course Sicily had a strong Norman history so I wonder if your L1066 might also have a connection to the Normans?
I have thoroughbred Sicilian ancestry on my paternal side, and I have about half-Scandinavian ancestry on my maternal side. Would that make it more difficult to sort out Norman roots on my paternal side?