Is Age of Deceased Accurate?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Is Age of Deceased Accurate?

Post by darkerhorse »

The deceased in record Number 1, Concetta Tuccio, is listed as age 24. I have strong reason to believe she was a child, perhaps 24 days or 24 months old.

Is there anything else in the record to suggest she was a child?

Have you seen such mistakes in the misreporting of age?
Attachments
Number One.jpg
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: Is Age of Deceased Accurate?

Post by darkerhorse »

I don't see a spouse or occupation listed.
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

darkerhorse wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 20:25 The deceased in record Number 1, Concetta Tuccio, is listed as age 24. I have strong reason to believe she was a child, perhaps 24 days or 24 months old.

Is there anything else in the record to suggest she was a child?

Have you seen such mistakes in the misreporting of age?
Nothing seems to indicate that it is a child. It specifically says 24 years. It states that she died in her own home, whereas for children you typically see that she died in the home of her parents. It later lists her as domiciled at Strada del Carmine #593. Once again it doesn't say that it is where the parents are domiciled, but where she is domiciled. Nothing later corrects it, and often errors in records have notations indicating subsequent corrections.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I have documentation that a woman with her mother's name was born c.1796 and married a man with her father's name.

I know of no other women with her mother's name and age living in that town at that time.

I'll have to do more research at FHC when the pandemic is gone. I suppose it could be coincidence.
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

darkerhorse wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 21:25 I have documentation that a woman with her mother's name was born c.1796 and married a man with her father's name.

I know of no other women with her mother's name and age living in that town at that time.

I'll have to do more research at FHC when the pandemic is gone. I suppose it could be coincidence.
It definitely could be a coincidence. In my family's home town there seems to be a pattern of surnames that marry other connected families extending over about 150 years. The Bivonas seem to have lot of marriages with the surnames Ienna, Ponzio, Messina, Fontana and other Bivonas while there are other common surnames in town that seem to have never appeared. Combine that tight surname connection with naming conventions where in some towns it seems like there are only about 10 first names that get reused with everyone, coincidences can happen.

That said, I'm not saying that the record you posted is erroneous. Just answering your question that to me there don't seem to be any indicators that she was, in fact, a child and there are two or three things that indicate that she wasn't.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

It clearly states "d'anni 24". 24 years old