Help with a quick translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Help with a quick translation

Post by Gags »

Hi All,

In my citizenship application, I hit a snag as my father has been using his confirmation name since the 7th grade. Of course, my birth record shows his legal middle name. It's taken a year to get my birth record updated with his original middle name. I'm now updating my translations and would ask for a quick check on this new notation on my birth record:

"Changes approved for filling by the Commissioner of Health. Formerly: Father Middle Name - John; approved by Deputy City Registrar M. Torres on Apr-14-2021; No further entry beyond this point."

I think that should be "filing" but...here's my attempt. Can you please let me know your feedback?

"Modifiche approvate per l'archiviazione dal commissario della salute. Precedentemente: Secondo nome del padre – John; approvato dal vicecancelliere della città M. Torres il 14 aprile 2021; Nessun ulteriore dettaglio oltre questo punto."

Thank you much!!
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Help with a quick translation

Post by Italysearcher »

It is my understanding that Consulates require official translations by authorized companies. They will usually give you a few names of those acceptable. You cannot submit your own translation or even that of someone like me!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't clear in my original post - all of my translations were done by one of the approved ones listed by the consulate. I am just looking to update them slightly by inserting the few bits that were added to my birth record upon correction.

Hoping someone can check if anything sounds awkward in the phrase I posted.

Thanks!
Ryan
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

Italysearcher wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 16:59 It is my understanding that Consulates require official translations by authorized companies. They will usually give you a few names of those acceptable. You cannot submit your own translation or even that of someone like me!
It varies by consulate, although the majority work that way. The Houston consulate allowed me to translate all my (numerous) documents myself. I checked in advance and they basically just said be sure that you're capable.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

bbivona wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 17:42
It varies by consulate, although the majority work that way. The Houston consulate allowed me to translate all my (numerous) documents myself. I checked in advance and they basically just said be sure that you're capable.
Hi BBivona - it sounds like you're a native speaker or close to it? May I please ask your help? Are there any edits you would make to this translation?

Original text:

"Changes approved for filling by the Commissioner of Health. Formerly: Father Middle Name - John; approved by Deputy City Registrar M. Torres on Apr-14-2021; No further entry beyond this point."

My translation:

"Modifiche approvate per l'archiviazione dal commissario della salute. Precedentemente: Secondo nome del padre –John; approvato dal vicecancelliere della città M. Torres il 14 aprile 2021; Nessun ulteriore dettaglio oltre questo
punto."

Thank you much!!
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

I'm definitely not a native speaker. My grandfather taught me to count to 50 in Italian/Sicilian and that was it. My Italian is university-learned. I read well and when I speak and write I can communicate effectively, but no one mistakes me for a native speaker. When I did my own document translation I wrote my own translation then spent a lot of time checking key phrases on the web (legalese, medical stuff, etc.) to make sure I had close to the right phrasing. Looked at lots of Italian language legal documents, medical papers, etc. The consular official told me that she could tell that I was not a native speaker, but that it was definitely good enough for processing my citizenship recognition. I was willing to take a little risk with my own to save $3,000 (I had a lot of documents to translate) but I would hesitate to risk yours. My hope is that a native speaker will jump in.

All that said, and not knowing what your consulate's rules are for translations of updated documents are, I would write my own as
Le modifiche sono state approvate per archiviare dal Commissario per la Salute. Precedentemente: il secondo nome del padre - John; approvato dal Vice Cancelliere Comunale M. Torres il 14 aprile 2021; A parte questo, non sono apportata altra modifica.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Thank you so much! Your translation sounds much better than mine!
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

bbivona wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 00:56 I'm definitely not a native speaker. My grandfather taught me to count to 50 in Italian/Sicilian and that was it. My Italian is university-learned. I read well and when I speak and write I can communicate effectively, but no one mistakes me for a native speaker. When I did my own document translation I wrote my own translation then spent a lot of time checking key phrases on the web (legalese, medical stuff, etc.) to make sure I had close to the right phrasing. Looked at lots of Italian language legal documents, medical papers, etc. The consular official told me that she could tell that I was not a native speaker, but that it was definitely good enough for processing my citizenship recognition. I was willing to take a little risk with my own to save $3,000 (I had a lot of documents to translate) but I would hesitate to risk yours. My hope is that a native speaker will jump in.

All that said, and not knowing what your consulate's rules are for translations of updated documents are, I would write my own as
Le modifiche sono state approvate per archiviare dal Commissario per la Salute. Precedentemente: il secondo nome del padre - John; approvato dal Vice Cancelliere Comunale M. Torres il 14 aprile 2021; A parte questo, non sono apportata altra modifica.
Correcting my own work after re-reading. As I said, I am not a native speaker.
A parte questo, non è apportata altra modifica.
mbastyr@gmail.com

Post by mbastyr@gmail.com »

I am trying to translate the handwritten portion of my Grandmother's Italian Birth Certificate. I get most of it but not all. If anyone can help, I would be most grateful!
The three bracketed areas are what I am just not getting. Help! Thank you truly.

La dichiarante ha denunciato la nascita suddetto per [averenel]

la suindicato sua qualita [preitale i susicdi dell'arte sua nel

l'atto del porte] e in luogo del marito dell Forrisi, il qua

le nonha potuto denunziarla perche in America.

Letto il presante atto a tutti gli [intero aiuti si 'e'] dalla leatrice

e di me......
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mbastyr@gmail.com wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 23:35 I am trying to translate the handwritten portion of my Grandmother's Italian Birth Certificate. I get most of it but not all. If anyone can help, I would be most grateful!
The three bracketed areas are what I am just not getting. Help! Thank you truly.

La dichiarante ha denunciato la nascita suddetto per [averenel]

la suindicato sua qualita [preitale i susicdi dell'arte sua nel

l'atto del porte] e in luogo del marito dell Forrisi, il qua

le nonha potuto denunziarla perche in America.

Letto il presante atto a tutti gli [intero aiuti si 'e'] dalla leatrice

e di me......

Good on you for giving this a go. :)

Your first line here probably reads “La dichiarante ha denunziato la nascita suddetta per avera nel"....

There are quite a few errors in your Italian here, so that is why it is hard for you to translate it. Are you able to post the Birth Record please, and then we can help fill in the gaps and correct the wording. Thanks.

What it is basically saying is that the declarant (it looks like it was the midwife but I don’t know for sure without viewing the record) reported the birth in place of the husband (Forrisi?) because he, (Forrisi?), was unable to as he was in America at the time of the birth.

Then there is the fairly standard final paragraph telling you who the Act was read out to and who signed it:

"The present act was read to all present.. etc etc". (Once again we need to see the actual record. Probably what you are reading as "leatrice" is "levatrice" i.e. midwife.)

Angela
mbastyr@gmail.com

Thanks so much, Angela, for your help! I am trying to add the record, but I'm not too tech savvy! I will keep trying! Thanks!
mbastyr@gmail.com

BC Italy Butrico cropped 1.jpg
Thanks for the help with "avere nel" in line 1.

I'm still not sure of line 2 after "qualita....to line 3... del porte"?

And line 5 "gli ....... Si e'"?

Thanks so much for your help.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

La dichiarante ha denunciato la nascita suddetta per avere nel-
la suindicata sua qualità prestato i sus(s)idi dell'arte sua nel-
l'atto del parto ed in luogo del marito della Forrisi, il qua-
le non ha potuto denunziarla perché in America.
Letto il presente atto a tutti gli intervenuti si è dalla levatrice
e da me sottoscritto, avendo gli altri dichiarato di essere
illetterati
mbastyr@gmail.com

Grazie mille!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mbastyr@gmail.com wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 13:39 Thanks so much, Angela, for your help! I am trying to add the record, but I'm not too tech savvy! I will keep trying! Thanks!

I've just seen this now. Happy to help. I'm pleased that you were able to attach the record and that Livio has transcribed it for you. If you need future transcriptions/translations, the best way to do this is to post a link to the online record. It makes it easier all round.

Take care.
Angela