Street Names of Campli

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
skiptonr@hotmail.com
Rookie
Rookie

Street Names of Campli

Post by skiptonr@hotmail.com »

My grandfather came from Campli in the Teramo province of Abruzzo. His "Scheda Individuale" seems to indicate where the family lives...but I cannot decipher it entirely. Looks to me like they lived in the Castelnuovo (new castle) section/district/neighborhood of Campli, but the actual street name doesn't seem to match up with anything I can find online. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

Attachments
Capture.JPG
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: Street Names of Campli

Post by MarcuccioV »

Not sure if it applies in your case, but often smaller streets/alleys were eliminated as roads/buildings were constructed/modified. Other times routes were re-named in honor of either a local resident of note or a historical or religious figure.

This is not an uncommon situation. A lot can change in 100-150 years...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
skiptonr@hotmail.com
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the info. Any idea what the street was named? 35 Cirionv ?? lazione
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Rick - I wonder if the two words on the second line are really one slightly-misspelled word, "circonvallazione," which is Italian for a bypass or a ring-road. It sounds like a modern expression, but the word "circonvallazione" appears in many Italian newspapers, like these three from 1891, 1893 and 1894:

https://www.internetculturale.it/jmms/i ... fulltext=1

If you click on any of these links, they take you to an icon representing a newspaper page. Clicking on the icon will open the entire page, and the word "circonvallazione" is highlighted in red.

Good luck,

Joe
skiptonr@hotmail.com
Rookie
Rookie

Hi Joe, thanks! I think you are spot on. I have several of these "Scheda Individuale" and on at least one the word does appear to be circonvalazione (one 'l').

Cheers! Rick
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

You are very welcome - I enjoy solving puzzles!
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Yes, it is Circonvallazione, Castelnuovo may be a district of the town, that is it was a street surrounding the territory of Castelnuovo; 35 is the number of the house.
If I find a map of this town, I'll see if it is still so.
Of which year was that document?
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

skiptonr@hotmail.com
Rookie
Rookie

I don't know when this was created...I have several for different individuals in my family and they seem to be created at different times since some of the information changes (a parent is listed as died). I would guess between 1900 and 1938. I include a couple in this post.

I include "158 - domenica neroni" because this one shows her mother and father passed...so after the other documents were created, but her address number is 35 Via Carrese while the others are at 35 Circonvalazione. It is possible in the time the two sets of documents were created, the street name was changed from one to the other? Or coincidence?

Thanks, Rick
Attachments
158 - domenica neroni (front).jpg
157 - marcantonio neroni (front).jpg
160 - antonio neroni (front).jpg
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Yes, certainly the street when new was called Circonvallazione, a generic name, then later it was dedicated to this Carrese, probably someone that in the town or area made something relevant. The locality, Castelnuovo, and the number is the same, so it is the same house.
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Certainly you have photocopies (so made in enough recent time) of the 'schede' (cards, pages) of a register of the population of the town, probably asked by someone in your family.
You see the same number on all (that seems identifies the family), then for every person all the data, included when arrived in the town , and the residence (address).
The card for Domenica shows she arrived in 1939 from Avezzano.
This register was before the era of computers....