Italians and Ancestry DNA

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: Italians and Ancestry DNA

Post by MarcuccioV »

Just revisiting this as it has been awhile. I'm still awaiting on acceptance to two U3b mtDNA projects on FTDNA, but as people join this site, perhaps they aren't aware of this thread.

Has ANYONE tested mtDNA and come up U3b..? It seems to have roots anywhere from the Caucasus/Anatolia to Romania/Bulgaria and beyond, with a disconnected but acute grouping in Jordan. I've read that it may be Thracian, yet it has been found in the DNA of an ancient Viking in Denmark.

Although an extremely rare subclade, it has been found in higher concentrations in Romany peoples (55%) and Jordanians near the Dead Sea (40%). In Italy (where my grandmother was born, near Rome), it averages >2% total.

Out of the 1500 matches on 23&me (that opt into sharing), only ONE showed a close match at U3b1 (a later subclade). But no family connection could be determined.

ANY U3b's out there..?
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

That ancient Viking is interesting. Many years ago, there was an article about the Vikings in National Geographic magazine. A photograph in the article showed Viking runes carved into a piece of wood in Constantinople. The author said that Vikings traded with the Byzantines via an inland, river route; I forget which river it was.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

joetucciarone wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 17:19 That ancient Viking is interesting. Many years ago, there was an article about the Vikings in National Geographic magazine. A photograph in the article showed Viking runes carved into a piece of wood in Constantinople. The author said that Vikings traded with the Byzantines via an inland, river route; I forget which river it was.
It seems (from what I've read on the subject) that it's most common to Sicily (as far as Italy goes) but still extremely rare. I do show strong traces of Sicily in my Italian makeup (along with Campania, Lazio, Abruzzo and Apulia). Oddly no Calabria, Basilicata or Molise. But it could have come from anywhere. My grandmother favored a northern, almost French appearance whereas my grandfather favored the south and eastern Med (but I don't know HIS maternal haplogroup, unfortunately)...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
vincenzouk

Post by vincenzouk »

Mark - I tried to follow this entire string, but I’m not sure I got it all as the main question (what is U3b1) went into a lot of directions. I just had my mtDNA and my Haplogroup is U3b1. I have no idea what it means, but I’ve been reading everything I can on the internet. My mother is 100% Sicilian and her family lived for centuries in Sciacca. I got into thehaplogroup thing because people looking into the family seem pretty convinced that they are (were) Sephardic Jews and they went Catholic after the Spanish Inquisition. They kept tight within the family all the way through. I know about the Roma thing, but im more interested now in the high populations of U3b in the Middle East (Jordan, Lebanon, Israel, Turkey, Iran, Iraq).
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

By any chance is Zimmitti the surname associated with the haplogroup?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

vincenzouk wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 17:40 Mark - I tried to follow this entire string, but I’m not sure I got it all as the main question (what is U3b1) went into a lot of directions. I just had my mtDNA and my Haplogroup is U3b1. I have no idea what it means, but I’ve been reading everything I can on the internet. My mother is 100% Sicilian and her family lived for centuries in Sciacca. I got into thehaplogroup thing because people looking into the family seem pretty convinced that they are (were) Sephardic Jews and they went Catholic after the Spanish Inquisition. They kept tight within the family all the way through. I know about the Roma thing, but im more interested now in the high populations of U3b in the Middle East (Jordan, Lebanon, Israel, Turkey, Iran, Iraq).
Mine is U3B2, but also originating in Sicily (most commonly in Agrigento). Different matrices give me various West Asian ethnicities in smaller amounts.

I have not been able to trace any further back as yet...
Mark

telesino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by telesino »

For my paternal ancestry i appear to have a rather odd Y-DNA (CTS-10228) I2 haplogroup. I have been able to identify my paternal Italian ancestral family to have lived in a specific town in southern Italy from 1530ish to 1900. the typical % Italian DNA (from three separate DNA testing sites) ranges from 3 to 8%.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

telesino wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 18:59 For my paternal ancestry i appear to have a rather odd Y-DNA (CTS-10228) I2 haplogroup. I have been able to identify my paternal Italian ancestral family to have lived in a specific town in southern Italy from 1530ish to 1900. the typical % Italian DNA (from three separate DNA testing sites) ranges from 3 to 8%.
My U3b2 mtDNA is only at about 3% for Italy (most commonly in Sicily, although there is a very small amount in Liguria). My DNA indicates I have only slightly more distant Sicilian than Lazio, Campania & Abruzzo, with Puglia taking up the rear.

On paper, everyone is from one commune in Lazio from around 1800. I am unable to go any deeper at present (at least with online records)...
Mark

MaryG1959

Post by MaryG1959 »

I've done 23 and me and Ancestry. I've also uploaded my ancestry dna file to My Heritage.

23 and me and Ancestry are closer.

My heritage was significantly different. I saw a video on YouTube that it is because My Heritage focuses on Europe more than NA