Looking for birth record for Julia Cioffi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
karenmac17

Looking for birth record for Julia Cioffi

Post by karenmac17 »

I am searching for the birth record of my great grandmother, Julia Cioffi. Her name may also be noted as Julietta or Giuletta. It's unclear if her name was changed to Julia when she immigrated in 1881 (or perhaps 1880).

She married Luis Luigi Maresca after she arrived in the United States.

Per her death certificate, she was born in Sorrento on August 17, 1867. Her father was Luigi Cioffi and her mother was Rosalina or Rosalia Costanza.

Based on other sources, her birthplace is likely to be Meta di Sorrento.

I have been searching on-line but I think what I can access is too limited. When I input this information, I get a lot of people from Como and no Cioffis.

Clearly, I need help! Any guidance will be much appreciated. If someone is able to actually find her, that would be amazing.

Gratitude to all for any help.

Karen Maresca MacDougall
delfgill
Elite
Elite

Re: Looking for birth record for Julia Cioffi

Post by delfgill »

Hi Karen,

Have you searched the numerous Ancestry family trees? I see approximately 24 with Giulietta Cioffi and
Luigi Maresca, both from Sorrento. Perhaps one might have a birth record. Online birth records for Sorrento stop at 1865.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Stop trying to search by name and search instead by record sources. Most records are not indexed.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... 1038859-50
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
rlw254
Master
Master

Post by rlw254 »

There are some issues with this request. Primarily, birth records for this part of the Napoli province are not yet digitized or available past ~1865.

What we can do, however, is attempt to find a Cioffi birth in Meta to the same parents in the years preceding 1865. That leads to the second problem, which is that the birth records here do not have an index and take quite some time to search.

I looked through births and marriages for Meta 1864-1865, Sorrento 1864, and Piano di Sorrento 1864, and did not find Luigi Cioffi. It is possible that I did not go far enough back, or that he married his wife in 1866 and only started having children after this date. I will say that there were Cioffi in all three towns in just those years, with Meta seemingly having the most.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto