American Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Re: American Naturalization

Post by ally »

Hi,

Here is info off 1920 Census for Louis Valleri:

Louis Valleri, 33 yrs, male, white, married, 1884, alien is a dyer in dyer shop, cane read,write,speak English

Margaret Valleri, 30, female, white, married, 1886, alien, is a finisher in dyer shop,

ADDTRSS: looks like 103 Hazlet Street, next street would be Knickerbocker avenue.

1930 census: enum dist# 16-95, ward 2, Clifton City, census taken 4/11/1930

Montclair Avenue, #135 owned $2,000, has radio, not a farm

Louis Valleri,44,male, 24 at marriage, can read/write/speak english
helper in dyer shop, came to US in 1913, nat.

Margaret Valleri, 39 married at 20, finisher in dyer shop, can read/write/speak english, came to US in 1912/3 nat.

I would try and link this, but I have such problems, maybe Nuccia can do this for me?????

At least you get the gist of what is on it for now.

Hope it helps!

Ally
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Hi, :)

also found a WW I draft card on Louis Valler(o)i

SERIAL # 2266
oRDER # 4196
NAME; LOUIS VALLERO
ADDRESS; 15 ALABAMA AVE, PATERSON, PASSIAC, NJ
32 YEARS OLD, DATE OF BIRTH: 3-6-1886, ITALY
WHITE, DYER AT VAN RAALTE CO. IN PATERSON
REALITVE: MARGARET VALLERO(I), SAME ADDRESS AS ABOVE
MEDIUM HEIGHT, BUILD, BROWN EYES, BLACK HAIR

IF THIS IS YOURS, GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL I CAN FORWARD TO YOU, OR SOMEONE CAN LINK IT!

aLLY
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

mler,

I found it late last night as well. I'm still not sure though... I'm posting it now...imageshack is taking forever!

1930 United States Federal Census Recordinfo
about Louis Vallero
Name: Louis Vallero
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Margaret Vallero
Race: White
Home in 1930: Clifton, Passaic, New Jersey

1930 United States Federal Census Recordinfo
about Margaret Vallero
Name: Margaret Vallero
Estimated birth year: abt 1891
Relation to head-of-house: Wife
Spouse's Name: Louis Vallero
Home in 1930: Clifton, Passaic, New Jersey
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

ally wrote:Hi, :)

also found a WW I draft card on Louis Valler(o)i

SERIAL # 2266
oRDER # 4196
NAME; LOUIS VALLERO
ADDRESS; 15 ALABAMA AVE, PATERSON, PASSIAC, NJ
32 YEARS OLD, DATE OF BIRTH: 3-6-1886, ITALY
WHITE, DYER AT VAN RAALTE CO. IN PATERSON
REALITVE: MARGARET VALLERO(I), SAME ADDRESS AS ABOVE
MEDIUM HEIGHT, BUILD, BROWN EYES, BLACK HAIR

IF THIS IS YOURS, GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL I CAN FORWARD TO YOU, OR SOMEONE CAN LINK IT!

aLLY
aLLY thanks but not is my great grandpa...
Nuccia already found my grandpa in WW I drafts.
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Recordinfo
about Casimiro Milza Vollero
Name: Casimiro Milza Vollero
City: Elizabeth
County: Union
State: New Jersey
Birth Date: 4 Mar 1882
Race: White
Roll: 1712100
DraftBoard: 3
I dont understand why your WW draft card is different (is with more information than nuccia cards) :(
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Lets do a recap of info so far...

Casimiro Milza 1882, a mason who is single, from Altrani arrived at Ellis on August 20, 1903. Going to Elizabeth NJ to see uncle Alfonso Vallaro.

Travelled with Rosa Vollaro 1884 also from Atrani going to see uncle Alfonso.

Travelled with Ferdinando Vallaro 1872 from Atrani going to New Haven Conn.

I'm just going to go through everything and see if we can piece something together here.

Nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Raven I have an idea but I don't want to tell you what it is yet..I think I know someone who could help...a professional genealogist who actually has access to the NJ archives. Trish, a member here should be able to find something but I'm not sure how busy she is these days. Shes helped a lot of people out and maybe can help you too.

Will keep looking through info though in the meantime to recap..

Keep your fingers crossed.

Nuccia :D
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

Un greatgranpa do a barber not a mason... I come for the first time in 1903 alone and another time with my great grandma so i know this, no more...My father dont know this history and the only sister of my grandpa is in elizabeth, but is soo hard to talk with her...for the age :(
If you search on ellisisland.org you find my greatgrandpa in 1903 but you dont find her in 1909, but if you find Raffaelina Vollaro (great grandma) see the registry one position upper my great grandma, the name of Casimiro Milza as a housband. So, i dont understand why he not appear in 1909 too :(
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Francesco,

Your Grandfather made 2 trips to the US..the first one alone on Aug 20, 1903 to see Alfonso Vallaro his uncle.

In 1909 on Sept 21, he came with his wife back to NJ to see his Uncle Alfonso again.

It was common that the man travelled to the US alone and then went back for his wife. He most likely went back to marry your great grandmother. If you look at the second page of the manifest where it says whether he had ever been in the US before he states yes..in 1903-1909.

s for being a mason or a barber, he probably changed professions. Other Milza's were masons so thats probably what he did originally.

I can link the first manifest for you if you like.

Nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Francesco,

Trying to piece the story together. Alfonso immigrated to NJ in abt 1888. He was born abt 1847 and was married to a woman named Maria born about 1850. In the 1900 census they are still listed as aliens and are living in Elizabeth NJ.

By 1910, Maria may have passed away because he remarried a woman named Angelina born abt 1876. He had already been naturalized by this point.

Between 1903 and 1909 he called over several family members...in 1903 your great grandfather Casimiro came over which he claimed he was his newphew and also a Rosa Vollaro which was his niece. In 1906 he called his newphew over, a nine year old Alfonso. By 1909, Casimiro went back to Italy to bring his wife Raffaella Mary Vollaro (born abt 1889) home with him.. They may have been cousins by my guess or it could have been an arranged marriage.

I can't find the 1910 census for them...was it posted it and I missed it.

In 1918, Casmirio lists on his WW1 cards that he lives at 74 West New Jersey Street with his wife Mary and he is a barber.

In 1920, Casimiro, now known as Louis has applied for Naturalization and lists year of immigration as 1903 and is a barber. Mary is still an alien and lists her year of immigration as 1909...so far it matches up.

Children born to Louis and Mary are:
Saverio abt 1911, Louis, 1912, Alphonso 1914, Madeline 1918 and Josephine 1919. They are stiil living at 74 West New Jersey Street and so are Alfonso and Angelina.

This is all I can sum up for you now. I have asked Trish for help and hopefully she can find more.

I'm writing all this info down and will email it to you.

Nuccia
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

Many thanks for this full resume Nuccia. i will try to send this to my cousin in NY to know what he can do at the office that mler give me. I think that not is a poor documentation to find the documents that can help me... You and the other person in this forum that reply to me gimme a big help to know...my family history.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

There are nine children born to Louis and Maria......
birthdates and names were provided.
Lisa