Composition of Italian Wedding Parties

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
rp76226
Master
Master

Composition of Italian Wedding Parties

Post by rp76226 »

All four of my grandparents came from Italy, met and married in the Bronx, NYC, NY. What is striking about their wedding party photos in 1920 and 1924 is that almost all of the wedding party is female. The same was true with the 1924 wedding of my grandfather's cousin. While there were many flower girls in addition to the bride and maid of honor, the only males were the groom, best man, and the ring boy. Was that an Italian tradition? In today's weddings each flower girl has a male usher paired with her.

Ron
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: Composition of Italian Wedding Parties

Post by darkerhorse »

I don't know what's typical.

In my limited experience, wedding parties were fairly balanced by gender.

In my family, more males than females immigrated, at least between 1900 and 1930, so I'd be surprised to see a majority of females in wedding photos.

What's you gender mix of adults? Do you also have group photos of attendees?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Don't know if it matters culturally, but mine are all Sicilians.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I was sent a wedding photo from a DNA match (with shared ancestors). It is split pretty much 50-50 men/women. South-central Lazio, SE of Rome around 1930...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I now found a fourth photo of another marriage from 1922 again in the US. As far as the female to male splits of these photos:

Two (both grooms) immigrated from Altamura, Bari were 11 females to 3 males (groom, best man, and ring boy) for 1924 marriages. The Sicily immigrants were 8 females to 2 males for the 1920 marriage and 6 females to two males (groom and best man) for the 1922 marriage.

I was only able to attach 3 of the photos.

Ron
Attachments
Morano - Puma Wedding.jpg
Ninivaggi Wedding Party (2).jpg
Lorusso Wedding 1924.jpg
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

It's possible these were only one of a set of photos of different groups. Families sometimes requested separations of various family members (for whatever reason) and that may explain it (or may not).

Could have also been the photographer's option to do so.

I'd say, at least in my experience, that it's unusual based on others I've seen...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amerital43 »

rp76226 wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 17:17 All four of my grandparents came from Italy, met and married in the Bronx, NYC, NY. What is striking about their wedding party photos in 1920 and 1924 is that almost all of the wedding party is female. The same was true with the 1924 wedding of my grandfather's cousin. While there were many flower girls in addition to the bride and maid of honor, the only males were the groom, best man, and the ring boy. Was that an Italian tradition? In today's weddings each flower girl has a male usher paired with her.

Ron
I think what you're seeing is just family. In the top pic you provided with all the hats its very possible that all the females were sisters or very close cousins. How could you as a bride, have 2 or 3 sisters and not the other 4? Because even though people were living in the City now, and not the Old Country farm, the parents still kept having kids. So families were still large.

In the other pics I think they just added in family members that weren't necessarily in the wedding party. Some of the females are NOT dressed alike which would indicate whether they were bride's attendees, or just relatives. They may have taken the photo to send back to family so other family members were in it.

I have a photo of a large Italian wedding from the 1930s? and for each bridesmaid, there's a groomsmen. So I think my theory may have some weight.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

There were only two sisters who came to America for the 1924 wedding photos. None for the 1920 marriage which I was unable to attach.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I have family wedding photos of Sicilian immigrants to America in the first quarter of the 20th century. There are both photos of just the wedding party and photos of extended family.